School decision tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmileyPreDent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As dental school students looking back what do you think we should be looking for in the schools. Looking back what do you wish you took into consideration??

Members don't see this ad.

Cost is the only thing that matters. No matter where you go, you'll become a dentist. So decide if you want to be a dentist drowning in debt for the next many years or a dentist with reasonable debt who will pay it off in a few years....

Reactions: 6 users
Cost is the only thing that matters.
6ECBC82B-B5E0-4E7D-BAEE-D2A0771AC84F.gif

I’m supposed to be the one who says that!!!

Big Hoss

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on what you prioritize and what your situation is, but the general consensus is the cheaper school. This is my list:
1. Cost (unless you got a scholarship: NHSC, HPSP(army), etc)
2. Location
3. People (culture)
4. Prestige/name
5. Weather (you stay indoors for the most part)

Looking back I am glad I made the choice that I did.

Just my opinion/list as I am sure other people have their own considerations.

It really depends on what you prioritize and what your situation is, but the general consensus is the cheaper school. This is my list:
1. Cost (unless you got a scholarship: NHSC, HPSP(army), etc)
2. Location
3. People (culture)
4. Prestige/name
5. Weather (you stay indoors for the most part)

Looking back I am glad I made the choice that I did.

Just my opinion/list as I am sure other people have their own considerations.

how do you assess the “People (culture)” of a school as a predent?

how do you assess the “People (culture)” of a school as a predent?
Cost was the main factor for mine... (was lucky to get into inexpensive schools). Honestly, probably wouldn't have gone to dent school if I didn't. lol Gradschoolgrades.com has really nice student reviews of each program... That's what I used along with talking to people from each school. They're still missing a few programs but seem like they have most now

Reactions: 1 users
Cost. And count all of the costs - living expenses, typical tuition increases, rent, transportation, travel.

if costs were equal, I’d speak to recent graduates from the schools to make a decision. They would have the best perspective.

COST
COST
COST

Dental school sucks everywhere. Let’s be clear. It’s traumatizing on many levels, but the nature of professional school teaches you just that—professionalism in the midst of all circumstances involving the trade you’re entering.

Stay out of faculty’s way, get your requirements done once you get in clinic. It’s four years of your life. Spend the rest of your years after that in the way you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I chose to go to the cheapest school even though I really liked some other schools. No way was I going to go to Colorado for 280k when I could go to my current one for less than half that cost. My advice is to do whatever you can to set yourself up for financial success after you graduate

Reactions: 1 user
Get your requirements done ASAP once you get in clinic.
This is especially true in times like these. You don’t want to be those D4’s that still have to deliver a denture as part of their requirements and suddenly school is shutting down indefinitely.

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously cost is #1. Although it may be difficult for you to determine now as a predent, I would recommend that if you have any interest in a certain speciality, I would consider going to the cheapest school that has a department with that speciality in it. This will allow you to easily shadow/get letters of rec from the faculty when the time comes. I attend a school that doesn't have the specialty that I'm pursuing and it's just an extra hurdle that I have to go through to get proper exposure.

Reactions: 1 users
COST COST COST.

I personally don't think I would have gone to dental school if I had to pay out of state tuition. I would have most definitely taken a gap year or two just to wait and get into my in state school if I had to. Dental school sucks everywhere, and you don't really learn a lot of necessary skills to keep a private practice alive and successful. I am a firm believer that the actions you take and skills you acquire your first five years out of dental school/residency will most definitely define your career.

Cheaper the school, the more options you have. I go to a school were I will be in $150k in debt when I graduate which is a lot BUT I don't have to specialize or frantically look for a practice to pay it off - I can somewhat take my time. Get it?

I would say cost is definitely #1. There are programs out there that will teach only composite and I think that should have some consideration as well. Private practice is moving towards some of these things, but I am of the mind set to get as many tools as you can before you graduate. If you find yourself in a place that uses amalgam and you don't know how to use it could add extra stress. The allure of 3 year programs can be tempting too but just keep in mind that they are faster pace and you will not get as much expericene. NOT ALL SCHOOLS ARE THE SAME. I have been practicing for 5 years, work in the military, and have worked with many colleagues from different schools and will tell you that there are some schools that will graduate you with 1 crown prep and/or 1 root canal which doesn't set you up for success! Go to a good school that is clinically solid.

Pick overall COST over everything else. No one will ever ask nor consider what school to went to in picking you as their dentist. Your personality and business skill, with a little luck, will determine how successful you are.

As dental school students looking back what do you think we should be looking for in the schools. Looking back what do you wish you took into consideration??

As dental school students looking back what do you think we should be looking for in the schools.
- as others have mentioned cost. since that point has hopefully been made by now I do think one thing people may not consider is a states Medicaid coverage and does the school see this population. My opinion is this will correlate to a deep patient pool. some states cover a lot, some do not. I would assume schools in states with good coverage = better clinical experience.
Looking back what do you wish you took into consideration??
- how little some things mattered and how important other things were. basically dont sweat the small stuff (lab work, dental anatomy wax up grades) but get involved in things that interest you. decide if you want to try and specialize early but in general do your best day one because you may realize you want to specialize once you join general practice but if your dental school rank is so-so it makes it harder. if you want to be ortho or OMFS you may be out of luck unless you are willing to pay a lot of $$ for some of the newer ortho programs.
3- dont be afraid to look into other professions. I have friends who turned down dental school. They dont envy me.

Go to a good school that is clinically solid.
this should be priority #2 behind cost.

As dental school students looking back what do you think we should be looking for in the schools.
- as others have mentioned cost. since that point has hopefully been made by now I do think one thing people may not consider is a states Medicaid coverage and does the school see this population. My opinion is this will correlate to a deep patient pool. some states cover a lot, some do not. I would assume schools in states with good coverage = better clinical experience.
Looking back what do you wish you took into consideration??
- how little some things mattered and how important other things were. basically dont sweat the small stuff (lab work, dental anatomy wax up grades) but get involved in things that interest you. decide if you want to try and specialize early but in general do your best day one because you may realize you want to specialize once you join general practice but if your dental school rank is so-so it makes it harder. if you want to be ortho or OMFS you may be out of luck unless you are willing to pay a lot of $$ for some of the newer ortho programs.
3- dont be afraid to look into other professions. I have friends who turned down dental school. They dont envy me.

this should be priority #2 behind cost.

$$$ should be the only factor in picking.

patients don't care about your DS...why pay 2x or 3x more for the same degree?

what if the cost difference is 40k
#1 - COST
#2 - Quality of life

I've met NYU students who turned down SUNY DS programs bc they wanted to live at home or close to family.

Point is - it's your decision at the end of the day. Whether it's 40k or 400k, you decide what is best.

Every DS is stressful so consider where you'll be the most comfortable too but also if you could stomach paying off $XXX debt later in life.

You're entering a professional school and joining an incredible profession. You'll know what is best for you. No one on this thread can give you the best amswer

Last edited: