Scheduling Interviews..WHEN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuantumX

Spinning
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. For how long can I wait after I receive an interview offer before I eventually choose an available date? Is it reasonable (and proper) to wait till Mid-October?

I feel that if I just set a date whenever an interview is offered, I'll end up in a mess.

Guys/Ladies who went through this last years: What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

You should set the interview date as soon as you get the request. Schools are known to send out more interview requests than interview spots... By waiting, you also may not get first choice as to what date you want.

Hani said:
Hi. For how long can I wait after I receive an interview offer before I eventually choose an available date? Is it reasonable (and proper) to wait till Mid-October?

I feel that if I just set a date whenever an interview is offered, I'll end up in a mess.

Guys/Ladies who went through this last years: What do you think?

I agree. I've been told that residency programs routinely offer interview invitations to an excess number of applicants. I'm also just paranoid, so I've been setting up interview dates once I get the invite, either via email or phone.

I was a little fast on the ball with my scheduling. I told the PC that I'd applied to other programs affiliated with the same university. The result? Within that week I got 3 more invites so I could schedule them all together. Isn't that cool? It could be totally coincidental but I'm certainly glad I didn't wait around for weeks to see what else showed up in that area.

The downside is that the programs apparently discuss their applicants so if I poop my pants or some other faux pas I'm screwed. :eek:

Better set them up as soon as possible or they may fill up their spots!

BellKicker said:
I was a little fast on the ball with my scheduling. I told the PC that I'd applied to other programs affiliated with the same university. The result? Within that week I got 3 more invites so I could schedule them all together. Isn't that cool? It could be totally coincidental but I'm certainly glad I didn't wait around for weeks to see what else showed up in that area.

The downside is that the programs apparently discuss their applicants so if I poop my pants or some other faux pas I'm screwed. :eek:

Man i want to do this too but im concerned that theyll think im too pushy? What if they dont want to look it over and just decline me an interview. Is that a possibility or should I go for it. I mean its that or just wait it out.

BellKicker said:

Wow, good thinking!

I'm getting VERY limited dates - basically in the email they give me 5 or 6 dates, almost always fridays (WTF?). Apparently january isn't as big an interview month as I thought either, most are in november and december.
Even if I could coordinate interviews based on location, they only interview on fridays!!!!

Weird. It was my impression that Fridays weren't big interview days.

I think this is pretty typical, only interviewing on 1 or 2 days a week, usually the same day of the week each time.