scheduling interviews - help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTP

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on whats the best way to schedule interviews. For example, say I got interviews from 2 places in IL but I applyed to say 10 there and I feel I have a good chance of getting more interviews there. Whats the most politically correct way to let the first 2 programs know you accept their interview offers but you want to wait a bit so you can schedule everything together. So basically, I want to avoid going to IL(just an example) 3 different times when I live on the east coast. I'd like to work it out so I can bang out all my IL(or nearby) interviews in one week, know what I mean. I want all the east coasts together, all the southeast together etc...

Or, is it not worth the risk and maybe I should just go as they come no matter where they are???(even though this will get really expensive)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you really need to tell those programs anything. I imagine you'll have a standing interview offer and can call to schedule them whenever you feel like it, even a month from now. Just because you got the offer doesn't mean you have to accept it right away, nor even at all if you don't want to.

Be careful though because if you got an interview invite it probably means many others did too, and you might be stuck with a date you don't much care for. It is hard to coordinate, I think I mostly got lucky. You don't have to respond right away though. I sat on a couple of interview requests for a a couple of weeks before calling back.

I know some people will call programs they haven't heard from to find out more information (like what days the interview, when they will start sending interview invites out, etc). I don't think most programs mind if you call to ask questions like that, as long as you're not pushy. In the end though, you are probably going to have to jump around a bit.

One strategy is to schedule your interviews for later in the season (these are often less popular among the candidates) so there will be more leeway to schedule another one if you hear from them later.

While I understand your desire not to travel multiple times to the same (or nearby) location, this may be very difficult to do. There is no harm in letting the remaining IL programs know you have interviews at program X and Y on such and such date, and are requesting that your application be reviewed for potential interview. There is also nothing wrong with letting the programs who have invited you that you will be coming but need more time to arrange travel, and check with other programs in the area to see if they will want to interview you as well. After all, they know you're applying to programs other than theirs.

If they offer you a range of dates to select from, perhaps choosing a later one would allow you more time to hear from the other programs. However, programs often have set interview dates, panels may meet on an infrequent basis and you may very well find yourself out of luck on this one. IMHO it is a tad unrealistic to expect that you will be able to schedule all your interviews in the same geographical area in the same time frame.

I thought interviews later in the season were somewhat better because you are fresh in there minds come ranking time?

dochuffman said:
I thought interviews later in the season were somewhat better because you are fresh in there minds come ranking time?

Ya I've heard the same as well but a lot of poeple here on the forum seem to say it doesnt matter...so bottom line, I still dont know.

Yeah, this issue is probably over-analyzed. I think I would want to have gone on at least a few interviews before going to programs I "really want to get into." I don't think most people on this forum, unless they are on a selection committee or know someone first hand, really know.

There is no need to be politically correct when it comes to telling a program that you'd like to wait to schedule because you are waiting to hear from other programs in the region. I've already done it twice. I was upfront and just told them that I am waiting to here from other programs in the area so I could try and schedule them together to save money and time. The danger, as others have mentioned, is that you may not get the date you want if you wait too long to schedule.

Most places are understanding, especially if you let them know what's going on. However, coordination can be difficult. I had to cancel a few interviews due to conflicts (nobody seemed to care) and traveled to the same place twice. Oh well. It all comes out in the wash - you just do your best and try not to sweat it too much.