This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7koukoua

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I've been an Ob/gyn resident for two months (in my country, a student who has already chosen a speciality is called resident), and I am scared! Don't get me wrong, I love ob/gyn, I love the OR, I love the speciality per sé. The problem is, there is this enormous pressure to learn, there is competitiviy, there are attendants you need to please in order to learn...
In addition, I'm kind of having a bad streak. In a week or so, I've done many errors! No lethal errors thankfully, but kinda big errors nonetheless. And I'm kind of realizing now that one false scalpel move can be lethal for a patient or a baby.
I just need to talk with people who've been through these first few scary months, and to hear that every surgeon and doctor have made mistakes.
I'm really stressed and can't talk to anyone else about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Fear is healthy. It keeps you constantly thinking about your patient, reading more and learning your craft. The trick is not to let it paralyze you--and only experience can cure that. Just keep working and eventually it will feel better.

Reactions: 2 users
Errors and "oh ****" moments are what make us better. Everyone has them during training and even as an attending. Learn from them and you will improve.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your answers, they made me feel better.

Misleading title.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user