San Juan Bautista School of Medicine Class 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khanoom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it is......
Hi everyone. I already introduced myself on another thread but just in case...
Im starting at SJB Fall 2008, this is my second career I used to do National Community Development Trainings in mainland US. Im moving to PR with my husband whose a teacher.

really excited to start med school, live in PR and meet new folks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Is there anyway possible to get into these Puerto Rican medical school with out speaking Spanish?

Is it a like a must to have a Spanish background?

I appreciate your replies.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the schools expect you to have atleast 6 credits of spanish.
Look on the websites or call.

Hey everyone, I will also be attending SJB starting in the fall. I'm finishing up an MPH right now in Global Health and Infectious Disease. I'm American and not originally from PR (it seems like quite a few American students have connections with PR). I've taken Spanish my whole life but not fluent (yet). I have been to PR a few times and my grandparents actually lived and taught in San German and my father spent a few years of high school in San Juan. I'm really excited about finally starting med school and learning a lot and meeting all you.

Hasta luego,

Matthew

Hey everyone, I will also be attending SJB starting in the fall. I'm finishing up an MPH right now in Global Health and Infectious Disease. I'm American and not originally from PR (it seems like quite a few American students have connections with PR). I've taken Spanish my whole life but not fluent (yet). I have been to PR a few times and my grandparents actually lived and taught in San German and my father spent a few years of high school in San Juan. I'm really excited about finally starting med school and learning a lot and meeting all you.

Hasta luego,

Matthew

Nice to meet you Matayo. Look forward to seeing you in July.

Hey everyone nice to meet you!!! See you there. soon we will be doing this...

SJB SCHOOL OF MEDICINE CLASS OF 2012
attachment.php

Attachments

• medical orientation.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2,059
Does anyone know if they are still taking applications or interviewing? I know it's late in the game.

Does anyone know if they are still taking applications or interviewing? I know it's late in the game.
I don't think they are still accepting applications, but they are interviewing. I have one scheduled for 4/7 :D

Hi Everyone,

What website did you use for this? Any leads would be appreciated.

Hi Everyone,

Call your State Police Dept. and ask for the forms. Fill them out and mail together with a Money order (mine was $25). They usually take 7-10 business days to send them to you (they may not mail them to the school directly).

Call your State Police Dept. and ask for the forms. Fill them out and mail together with a Money order (mine was $25). They usually take 7-10 business days to send them to you (they may not mail them to the school directly).

I did call them and they said they can only do it with a form from SJB. I asked jayme and she said you dont need a form. Any body do the computer ones? Do you remember what the forms were called?

thanx by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did call them and they said they can only do it with a form from SJB. I asked jayme and she said you dont need a form. Any body do the computer ones? Do you remember what the forms were called?

thanx by the way.

No, you don't need forms from SJB. Perhaps they would require that to send the results of the Background check to the school directly? I called the Boston PD and told them I needed a MA Criminal Records/History Report and they faxed me the form I had to fill out for it.

Just ask the CA Police Dept. for a certified copy of your CA Criminal Record History. This is commonly done for job applications, so the Police Dept. will have their own form. The form will ask you for your Name, Address, SS#, Phone, etc. You also need to Notarize the form before mailing it to the PD (very few places let you request it on a walk-in basis).

After you receive the report back (usually within 7-10 days) make sure your Name and Information are correct and forward it to the school (it doesn't need to be in a sealed envelope because it will or should be Signed and Notarized by the PD as well--this is what you pay for).

About the online places, I don't trust them so I don't use them. Sorry I can't help there...Good luck!

Just ask the CA Police Dept. for a certified copy of your CA Criminal Record History. This is commonly done for job applications, so the Police Dept. will have their own form. The form will ask you for your Name, Address, SS#, Phone, etc. You also need to Notarize the form before mailing it to the PD (very few places let you request it on a walk-in basis).
I walked into the Washington DC headquarters and got one on the spot. It was $7, and I filled out their form and they notarized it and gave it to me within 5-10 mins. The process may vary from state to state so just call your local police department. They are the only ones who can tell you exactly what to do for your location. It may be as simple as WDC. G'luck

Hi Everyone,

I got mine done in Atlanta - you just go to police headquarters which in Atlanta was at Town Hall. I'm not sure you can get it done online I couldn't find it there. I had to go in person but it took like 5 minutes and was about $10 or so. Might take longer if you're a felon! (Just kidding). See you soon buddy.

M

Hey, after my acceptance they requested two things: The first was a certified birth certificate and I'm not sure what the second was. I already sent the birth certificate, but it sounded like the second was a health certificate which had to be done at the University hospital. So can I just do that once I've moved down and bring my health records? If anybody knows what's up let me know.

M

What's the best way to get in touch with the school?

I sent an email twice to Ms. Sanchez and never got a response.

Thanks, all !!

Haha Join the club. You are better off calling her. They almost always respond to phone calls but emails....that's another deal!

Hey, after my acceptance they requested two things: The first was a certified birth certificate and I'm not sure what the second was. I already sent the birth certificate, but it sounded like the second was a health certificate which had to be done at the University hospital. So can I just do that once I've moved down and bring my health records? If anybody knows what's up let me know.

M

They require the Birth Certificate, Criminal Background Check, Vaccination history, Medical Examination forms (including results of bloodwork, urinalysis, and X-rays), Deposit, 2x2 Photo, and waiver of Chicken Pox Vaccination (this is the only form that was all in Spanish).

The forms for the Medical Examination and waiver are part of the Admission Application form (you must have downloaded that from the website to apply). Take the forms to your physician and once the results are ready he/she will fill it out and give you copies of your records to send over to SJB.

Don't wait until you move to PR to do it, they probably gave you a deadline to submit these documents in your Acceptance letter.

Hope this helps :cool:

They require the Birth Certificate, Criminal Background Check, Vaccination history, Medical Examination forms (including results of bloodwork, urinalysis, and X-rays), Deposit, 2x2 Photo, and waiver of Chicken Pox Vaccination (this is the only form that was all in Spanish).

The forms for the Medical Examination and waiver are part of the Admission Application form (you must have downloaded that from the website to apply). Take the forms to your physician and once the results are ready he/she will fill it out and give you copies of your records to send over to SJB.

Don't wait until you move to PR to do it, they probably gave you a deadline to submit these documents in your Acceptance letter.

Hope this helps :cool:

thanx for the feedback, I got my back ground check taken care of.

Greetings,

Does anyone know what time you actually finished the interview for SJB? I was trying get an idea of what time I should plan a return flight.

Thanks!

mine ended at 1:30pm.

Does anybody know what the acceptance rate is at SJB? specially if one is from the states? I just interviewed and they said they only accept 20 from the states.

HI I have my interview on January at San Juan Bautista and I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on the questions they were asked?

Thanks