sam: reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Dr. H! I hope you can help me with this. First off, I'm a Texas resident who
graduated in 1996 from UT-Austin with a 3.5 GPA. For the past three years, I've
worked in both basic science and clinical research at one of the state med schools,
which is where I "disovered" my interest in medicine, and I also have volunteer
experience. My April MCAT is a 31 (12V,10B,9P), up three points from my first test. I
applied last year to seven state med schools, interviewed at three, resulting in a
waitlist at two with a quick rejection from the third. This year, I've applied to all eight
schools in Texas, have already interviewed at one and have two more scheduled.
However, do you think that eight schools is enough to have applied to? Also, any tips
for upcoming interviews? From my understanding, some of our schools weigh the
interview very heavily. Thanks in advance for any advice you can impart.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Longhorn!
(I went to Baylor Med and know many longhorns, aggies, owls, etc.) You Texans will
know what I'm talking about!

Sam, your grades are good and your MCATs kick some Texas sized butt! (ie they are
really good!)

You are restricting yourself by only applying to Texas schools. Though Texas is like a
whole other country, "8 just isn't enough" sometimes. Additionally, you might want to
think of osteopathic medicine too. Did you apply at TCOM?

How are your letters of recommendation?

Tips for interviews... let's see. You can read the interview section in the premed
section of Medicalstudent.net There is some good info there and links to totally great
sites, like http://www.interviewfeedback.com and this one
http://www.louisville.edu/a-s/biology/aed/interview.htm#Preparing
(there are direct links to these in that section!)

Also, I'm going to be doing mock interviews soon in the chat room. If you'd like to
schedule a time, let me know.

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net

from sam:

Thanks for the input! Yes, I did apply to TCOM and would be very happy to study
osteopathic medicine since I plan to enter a primary care specialty. My letters of
recommendation are strong, I think. The only one I didn't see was from a former prof I
worked for as an undergrad, but hopefully he had nice things to say about me! So, do
you think it's too late to apply this year to some non-Texas schools via AAMCAS? By
the way, I'd be very interested in having a mock interview. Please let me know how I
can set one up. Thanks again for your advice and for this great site

It's pretty late, but try the AAMCAS right away!