Salutation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 750603

I have a PhD.

Kind of a silly question maybe, but is it pretentious to put Dr. in front of my name in the AMCAS application?

I asked a friend and he said entirely ok to do so but I am mixed about it.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

For the most part, you earned that degree and the title that comes with it, so it would be appropriate to use it.

What context are you referring to?

Just don't put Dr. Firstname Lastname on your med school white coat.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this one of those drop-down, choose-your-title fields? Or does it just ask for first name and you want to type in Dr. Firstname? Former, no problem; latter, hold off.

Bonus points if your PhD is in a natural science.

Members don't see this ad :)
Under legal name and preferred name there is a drop down menu along with Mr. Mrs. Ms. Rabbi Rev. Hon. Gen. etc. etc.

PhD in Biochem

I'd say go for it. Be prepared to put the Dr. title in storage though, once you start med school.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd say go for it. Be prepared to put the Dr. title in storage though, once you start med school.

VUmzU5Jl.jpg

Reactions: 19 users
What about putting PhD after your name on your white coat? I've been on the fence about this.
I think THAT is definitely legit. My lab coat has that. A friend of mine is MD PhD and hes got both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would leave it off until you finish the MD. Obviously put the MD, PhD on there after you graduate, but if your school does white coat embroidery for med students, I would still advise against it for political reasons. Med students are at the bottom of the totem pole and some people higher up are really sensitive (read: insecure).

I don't recommend it in the AMCAS application.

Hospitals may have specific restrictions on the use of the title (for white coat).

This turned into a lab coat conversation but I was talking about the AMCAS application. In the identifying information you are able to select Mr. among dozens of other things and including Dr.

This turned into a lab coat conversation but I was talking about the AMCAS application. In the identifying information you are able to select Mr. among dozens of other things and including Dr.
I don't recommend using the title Dr. in the AMCAS application.

i say just put Mr./Ms.

you'll have plenty of room to discuss your PhD, it will be assumed you hold that title.

I'm not going to make a recommendation about putting "Dr." on your AMCAS application, but like others have said once you start med school everyone is considered to be "student doctor John or Jane Doe" until you graduate and can proudly hold your medical degree above your head.

As an example, I once wore a long white coat on one of my IM elective rotations because my short coat got ripped and I had to throw it away. The long coat was the only thing I could find on short notice, and I immediately caught flack for it --- a couple residents casually but firmly said that only residents and attendings are entitled to wear long white coats while on duty. I got the message loud and clear and express ordered a new short coat so everyone would know I was a lowly med student.

So yeah, the medical hierarchy has arcane rules and customs and calling yourself "Doctor" because you have a well-earned Ph.D. is gonna get you dirty looks amongst your peers and higher ups. There was a licensed podiatrist in my class and some students were calling him "doctor" the first few weeks and he put an end to it lickety-split.