Saba University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilipina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, has anybody heard about a school in the Caribbean called Saba?

a very well respected physician in the hospital that i work at suggested i look into Saba Univ, (he thinks it's better than Ross, St. George, etc.) ---- just curious. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Id go look in the International Forum and also do a search on SABA and hopefully you'll find out more that way. This question should probably have been posted that forum as well as this is for pre osteopathic students.

Ive been able to find out a good deal by searching for saba there and by going to a saba forum here
http://www.perfectdoctors.com/saba.htm

gl

I have a psychologist friend who was considering going there. I considered it for a while, but I would rather go in the US and to a DO school. You can find them at www.saba.edu/

They seem to copy the MD programs here, and it would be nice to live in the Carribean. They don't require MCAT scores (which seems kind of questionable). I assume their reputation is no better nor worse than any Carribean school. They also own Medical school of the Americas which has an MSTP. They are at www.mua.edu/

HTH

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I hear Saba is fine. But ... they have been only around for 10 years and they are not approved by California, New York or New Mexico for residencies. I believe you should be able to practice in New York after you do a residency elsewhere but not Cali or New Mexico. (I've heard Texas could be tricky too) Also, you will have to travel from state to state as you do your clinicals for a year and a half. This could be fun if you are young and adventurous! You could avoid all the potential licensing problems though by getting a DO or and MD from the states. Graduates of SABA are currently licensed in only 30 states, but I think that is mainly because the school has not been around for too long.

I guess I'll give you my two cents.

I looked at Saba upon recommendation of a friend.

What I know: Saba is a small Dutch island of about five square miles. Residents there refer to it as "The Rock." Not much there. They have a population of about 300 people. There is basically no crime and nothing to do. This might be a good thing while in medical school. It is owned by people that own at least one other Caribbean school.

The school is fairly new, but they do have working graduates in the US. The main attraction is that it is really cheap (~$5500/sem. last time I looked) and seems to offer a pretty good education. They are not eligible for Stafford loans. I have read several times that people rank it #4 among the Caribbean schools behind St. Georges, Ross and AUC.

Hope that helps.