SABA, ROSS Merp or AUA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amgi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was accepted into the schools above and I having a hard time deciding. Specially because the programs are different. I made my mind to go to SABA but I came to find out about serious allegations of corruption at the island allegedly affecting the students and their finances and that worries me.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're gonna go carib at least go for the one with the best track record, SGU. Is retaking the mcat out of the question?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I took it twice and I don't want to keep postponing it. I graduated also from undergrad 10 years ago and being working in medical field since then.

Yes, I took it twice and I don't want to keep postponing it. I graduated also from undergrad 10 years ago and being working in medical field since then.

hi i am thinking of applying to those schools too. I was wondering what was your gpa/mcat because im looking at ross but dont know if i will be merp-ed or not. if it is more comfortable for you, please PM me.

10 years out from undergrad and inability to excel on standardized tests is a recipe for disaster for a Caribbean medical student. Highly encourage you to reconsider. Caribbean medical school can be a pathway to success but you have to go in with your eyes wide open and you need to stack the deck in your favor and have realistic expectations. I would suggest doing a post-bacc program to re-engage in rigorous academic study, and then study/re-take the MCAT. You may find that, with dedicated study, you would qualify for a USDO program.

Reactions: 2 users
If you cannot compete against your peers on the MCAT... that this should be foreboding of difficulties ahead in every life defining standardized test you will take.

Please realize that the decision to attend a Caribbean school, especially as a marginal student is nearly insane.

10 years out from undergrad and inability to excel on standardized tests is a recipe for disaster for a Caribbean medical student. Highly encourage you to reconsider. Caribbean medical school can be a pathway to success but you have to go in with your eyes wide open and you need to stack the deck in your favor and have realistic expectations.

I understand what ben is saying, and I will expand a bit. You are, of course, in a situation where you have to pass an Exit exam to get out of a Caribbean med school and the faculty doesn't exactly teach anything to help you with that beyond what you already have at your disposal.

That is to say, Kaplan and First Aid and other resources help you to memorize the key facts that will be on Step one by pointing out what is "high yield" (ie an almost guaranteed question), but what med school is supposed to do is teach you understanding on the topics so that you don't have to memorize the high yield points. People who can memorize high yield points do well on standardized tests, however if you aren't a memorizer, you prefer to understand things.

Caribbean med schools don't really work in your favour if you are trying to understand. SUSOM (Saba), for example, gives you a block test on a unit every two weeks, and you usually have two blocks the same day (different courses) or they will alternate weeks. During those two weeks from the start to the finish of the unit, you will be in class, in Saba, from 8am to 5pm, sometimes later. There were some semesters where they were letting the students out before 5, but then they told the lecturers they had to drone on endlessly until 5 saying nothing of substance just so they could say they had the students in class until 5pm and could justify the number of teaching hours they were charging. During the time you are trapped in class you have no access to internet and can't use the time to study on your own. So when are you supposed to memorize 8 hours of material per day? You don't even have the time to read those lectures again, let alone memorize them. They will sometimes teach until the day before blocks and then test you on everything right up until that test. Then the next unit may start the same day as the block exam later that afternoon, and two weeks later you are tested on that unit. Every single hour you sit in class has to be memorized as you see it for 8 hours per day because you are not tested on your understanding, you are tested on whether you memorized some nit-picky detail from the slide that was given to you in the 6th hour of the fourth day of the unit on slide number 124 of that one-hour lecture.

Furthermore, the faculty they get is scratching the bottom of the barrel, especially on Saba, and I you will have a hard time meeting one that can explain how anything works even if you want to ask them. Maybe one good lecturer will exist for a short time, but some of the permanent faculty are running a bit of a corruption ring, as mentioned before, and if someone has any ethics they don't last at SUSOM, they get out. So you will have to memorize, memorize memorize and regurgitate to the faculty they have there that's couldn't tell their elbow from their knee. Those that do well and get through SUSOM can do this type of memorization - they have brains like cameras.

Ross does not require attendance at lectures, and so you can look at lectures at your own rate at least. A disadvantage of Ross over SUSOM/Saba is that there are many more students and it is very difficult to get one-on-one time with your professor, on the other hand it is more likely at Ross that the professor understands the material, so if you do get to talk to them you have a chance of getting an answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Retry for USDO. You can also consider Podiatry (come to the pod forum if you got any questions).

Otherwise, SGU/Ross. Ross merp..if you do this and but fail out then you know it was never meant for you.

do ROSS merp... worst case you fail out , but you prepared for any first semster at any medcial school . that happened to me actually , i did MERP for AUC and didnt make the cut , so i had to go to AUA. 1st year of AUA was a breeze because of MERP. BTW I just matched this year .

do ROSS merp... worst case you fail out , but you prepared for any first semster at any medcial school . that happened to me actually , i did MERP for AUC and didnt make the cut , so i had to go to AUA. 1st year of AUA was a breeze because of MERP. BTW I just matched this year .
Did you mention attended MERP to AUA..What was the response? Thanks

Hi, I just interviewed at AUA for Fall 2021. Do you mind sharing your experience there and any advice you may have would be helpful.

Hi, I just interviewed at AUA for Fall 2021. Do you mind sharing your experience there and any advice you may have would be helpful.

The best advice is to politely decline the interview and apply to US MD/DO schools next cycle.

Also, stop bumping dead threads.

i did review my experience in aua .https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aua-review-american-university-of-antigua.1403061/#post-21764309