SABA or Ross Decision needed quickly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rimon7381

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both schools. Can someone please give me some pros and cons of each school? Your help would be greatly appreciated and would help me choose a school. Practicing in California is not a big issue for me...since attending Ross would allow u to practice in Cal while attending Saba wouldn't. Besides this issue anything else can u give me to help me choose a school.

Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll pick Ross.

Ross

Going in Jan.?

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of Carib rep and history for US res placement, Ross. And tho many here complain about the island, IMHO Dominica is PARADISE (no, I'm not a student).

-pitman

Originally posted by pitman
In terms of Carib rep and history for US res placement, Ross. And tho many here complain about the island, IMHO Dominica is PARADISE (no, I'm not a student).

-pitman

The students complain about the island (myself included) because of the stress of studying and the general inconveniences of trying to get around, power outages before minis, finding a good place to study, (etc.) when you're competing under a lot of pressure. The spouses and significant others who tag along, OTOH, often love the place. It is definitely a huge decompression zone and, if you don't have the pressure of school nagging at you, I can see how it would be enjoyable.

-Skip

I go with ROSS.

I choose Ross in part because of what 1 saba representative told me. She told me if I wanted to come back to Texas to avoid SABA completly.

Used to think class size matters. Its nothing special. Sure it would be nice to pay the SABA tuition instead, but I dont think SABA has any advantage over Ross.

My 0.02:

1. Is money a concern? -- big difference between Ross & Saba's tuition, especially after 10 terms if no failing courses.

2. What specialty are you interested in? -- If interested in IM or FP, I think Saba can get you there in a much lower cost. But if you are aiming in some very competitive residencies, then a bigger name can get you an easier start.

3. Is class size a factor? If you would do poorly in a huge class (~300) then don't go Ross, a low Step score from Ross is definitely worse than a good score from Saba.

4. Lastly, the state issue. Ross is approved in more states than Saba

I think Saba has its advantage too, go check Saba website, some of their students recently score some very impressive step I score. One even got 267. With that, you can go anywhere.

You can send me a pm, and i will give you very good valid reason. Good luck

Can i say troll :mad:
Is your mission in life to dissuade anyone you can about Ross :confused:

if you don't want to use dirty bathrooms, then you should choose saba.

like today, the water mixed with human feces is flooded in the men's bathroom next to the library.

I can't stress enough the conditionality of NewDragon's post. Some students love nothing more than to swim in excrement. I would weigh the opportunity as only a minor bonus.

-pitman

I would pick Ross. Sure, there are problems here but what school doesn't? Why Ross? Their clinicals and the fact that I can be licensed in all fifty states. You never know, especially if you plan to get into something more competitive, you might want to apply to other geographical areas. The infrastructure here is fairly good, too (bathrooms on the weekends aside). A new building, renovations, free shuttle service to your apartment in the evenings, etc. I've never been to SABA but I would think a larger school would also have more resources available. Am I biased? Yes, but I would also encourage you to look into St. George's and AUC before SABA.

As an MS4 currently doing interviews, I can tell you that the PDs don't care which school I went to in the caribbean. Step one is what counts. Just think about the states you eliminate by going to certain schools (for example texas, cali) before you pick!

Pros : get to become a doctor, very few people will care where you went to medical school after residency. What matters is how well you work after that.

Cons : there will be a few pricks out there that think the school you went to is a representation of your abilities and intelligence.

I can't remember where I heard it, but I have heard that nearly 25% of all practicing doctors in america got there MD outside of the US. But I wouldn't take my word for it though.

Originally posted by awdc
I would pick Ross. Sure, there are problems here but what school doesn't? Why Ross? Their clinicals and the fact that I can be licensed in all fifty states.

Not really true anymore with the new Texas laws. Unless the school actually gets the research departments going, they are in the same boat as Saba for that state.

I stil say "go to ross", but I had to make that correction.

Ross is not in the same boat was SABA. You dont have to have a research department. The Texas law just says that the school does research. A professor that does research will count.

Another way that Ross will distinquish itself even further from AUC and SABA. Not sure about SGU. Is that the Texas law change was actually based on a bill proposed by California that had even stricter requirements.

The 3 big changes were.

1. School do research
2. Provide Post graduate training
3. Offer a residency program.

The last one is the big thing. From they told us here is that it is only a matter of time before that law gets passed in california. And it seems that a lot of the states seem to follow california's lead medical licensure.

Ross is setting up a residency program in the local Dominican hospital and some other changes to make sure they meet the requirements once they come into effect.

Im not sure about SGUs, AUCs or SABAs ability to meet these new requirements. Although I believe that SGU has the facilities to meet them.

This might shed some light on California licensure. Below, I pasted a post from another forum which you can also access here.

Recently, I've begun to see posts expressing a lot of anxiety about new regulations adopted by the California and Texas medical boards that might jeopardize the approval of Caribbean medical schools. I can only speak for California. California law doesn't require medical schools to support residency training programs or continuing medical education programs. There is no plan to add such wording to California law in the future.

With respect to research programs, medical schools applying for recognition in California are asked to document how their school's mission statement and objectives include: "The role of research as an integral component of its mission, including the importance, nature, objectives, processes and evaluation of research in medical education and practice." We don't expect Caribbean medical schools to support world-class research campuses stretching for miles, staffed by an army of research professors, grad students and postdocs. We do expect to see the medical schools making it possible for their faculty to participate in research projects in addition to their teaching duties and for interested students to have the opportunity to assist the faculty in those projects. The Board will apply the requirement in a reasonable manner.

Officials at AUC, Ross and St. George's universities are all aware of the California Medical Board's requirements. The Board has no hidden agenda against any school or region of the world or any intent to revoke the recognition of these schools or make it unreasonably difficult for new schools to qualify for recognition in the future. So please don't stress about California's research requirement.

Pat Park, Foreign Schools Liaison, Medical Board of California