RVUCOM-Utah vs. Touro NV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clumsy.md

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all, I have two acceptances with these two schools. I’m hoping to see if there’s a general consensus between the two programs? Big thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My vote is for Touro. RVU-UT has not graduated/matched a class yet, and they are for-profit. Way too new.

Reactions: 2 users
After all the rumors about RVU-UT’s awful first match, I wouldn’t touch that place with a 10 foot pole

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who is going to TUNCOM and didn't even apply to RVU...I'd say Touro

Congrats future classmate!

Reactions: 1 user
After all the rumors about RVU-UT’s awful first match, I wouldn’t touch that place with a 10 foot pole
I know! Rocky vista matched into more competitive specialties but so many didn’t match at all which I think is where my confusion is...
As someone who is going to TUNCOM and didn't even apply to RVU...I'd say Touro

Congrats future classmate!
Haha thank you! And congrats to you too!

I know! Rocky vista matched into more competitive specialties but so many didn’t match at all which I think is where my confusion is...
So one of the big critiques is that RVU’s match list combined the CO and UT campuses, and the CO campus has historically done pretty well in the match. Therefore, it is pretty likely that the good matches are CO’s and many of the non-matches and preliminary matches are UT’s which was all combined to cover up how bad UT’s list really was. I heard only 2/3s of the class matched

Can you explain why Touro?
It has good rotations in Vegas. Don’t have to travel more than 30 minutes from what I recall. It hasn’t had problems with match or board scores. School has been around for a while, so things are organized and it has a reputation now.

Can you elaborate please? (excluding RVUCOM’s match last year & for-profit status)
I think those are the biggest downsides for RVU Utah. The match last year should be a concern, but they have 5 years to fix it by the time you graduate. I think they will, RVU had second best COMLEX level 1 last year. That was their first match and along with COVID, I think that caused some trouble. I go to RVU CO, I really don't think for profit effects much. I have heard the Utah campus doesn't rotate at large hospitals and they go all over the state, which may be another drawback. I don't think its crazy to pick RVU in this situation if it seems like the better fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes it's very hard to figure out how or why that is. Unless the school releases each individual's name, premed MCAT/GPA, research profile, etc, it's hard to separate the cream of the crop from the ones who failed to match or matched a dead-end prelim.

You could speculate the competitive matches were just some unlucky souls from highly competitive states like California. It's not uncommon to have 300 premeds from UCLA who all have a 515, 3.9, play the violin and piano. With so many cookie cutter apps some might end up at a DO school due to the sheer competitiveness and not enough seats for everyone.

These smart people will thrive in any environment while the ones more in line with "average DO stats" might struggle, or struggle a bit more in a new campus with limited resources

You could speculate the competitive matches were just some unlucky souls from highly competitive states like California. It's not uncommon to have 300 premeds from UCLA who all have a 515, 3.9, play the violin and piano. With so many cookie cutter apps some might end up at a DO school due to the sheer competitiveness and not enough seats for everyone.
Lol you could speculate...What's your point here? Are you saying Touro doesn't get these students? I would think they are more likely considering they are closer to Cali.

RVU Utah has to compete with Noorda and neither can be trusted to do well.
1646075337007.png

what about UNLV and UNR for touro?
Touro came before UNLV and UNLV is pretty small. It’s still Vegas too, a major city. I don’t think UNR competes much for Vegas spots, Reno is on the opposite side of the state. Like I said, the rotations are basically all within driving distance of Touro.

BYU would have opened a medical school if they thought another one could work in Utah.

Touro came before UNLV and UNLV is pretty small. It’s still Vegas too, a major city. I don’t think UNR competes much for Vegas spots, Reno is on the opposite side of the state. Like I said, the rotations are basically all within driving distance of Touro.

BYU would have opened a medical school if they thought another one could work in Utah.
This is irrelevant. What does BYU have to do with anything, they don't want to manage a medical school. Its not on them to open another med school if another one is needed in the state just because they are the second biggest school. You could easily argue Utah did need another 5 years ago before RVU opened, when they only had U of U. Either way both states have 3 med schools and a little over 3 million people.

This is irrelevant. What does BYU have to do with anything, they don't want to manage a medical school. Its not on them to open another med school if another one is needed in the state just because they are the second biggest school. You could easily argue Utah did need another 5 years ago before RVU opened, when they only had U of U. Either way both states have 3 med schools and a little over 3 million people.
The U of U controls most of the hospitals. You can find this in prior discussions about Noorda. It was becoming too hard to keep up the RVU Utah campus so it was sold off. I think assuming the school will improve in 5 years is a silly gamble.

U of U doesn't control all of hospitals that care for the 3 million people in the state. There are plenty of other hospitals left over. I think your right Touro is probably the better school overall and for most people. I just wanted to chime in to say that if OP's gut was telling them to go RVU or if it was preferred due to location or family or whatever, I don't think it would be a crazy decision. First classes are known to have problems, and always improve. RVU's board scores suggest they should have a much better match going forward.

"RVUCOM ranked second of all colleges of osteopathic medicine in COMLEX-USA Level 1 in Comparative Performance of School Passing Rates and of School Mean Scores. Additionally, RVUCOM ranked third in comparative performance of school passing rates on the COMLEX-USA Level 2-CE with a 99.64% pass rate for first-time test takers."--RVU's President

Intermountain health is a big partner of the U and they were not really interested in working with anybody else either. I am sure the school finds rotation sites, but it’s rather lackluster and again, that’s why I said BYU doesn’t try to open a school. It takes quite an investment for both building the proper facilities, developing good faculty and administration and creating good rotation sites. On that last point, the U of U was not going to make things any easier and there may be high fees to let students rotate. When a large private university chooses to skip on it given the circumstances, it is clear the SU campus was a cash grab attempt. @BenAffleckIsAnOkActor brought up some of these points about the dynamics in the state when Noorda was starting out.

Choosing RVU Utah would be crazy because of the following:

1) A newer unestablished branch campus. The main campus’s board scores do nothing for the new location.

2) Terrible 1st match the school tried to hide

3) Poor rotation options because the school is facing an uphill battle in the state, whether you know about that or not. Now, it will be competing with Noorda for the leftover spots.

4) An inclination to cut corners due to its for-profit status.

In contrast, Touro Nevada is an established school where you’re not guessing it’s not going to improve by the time you’re done as a student. If you liked the interview day at RVU, well that’s a silly reason to pick it. Location and family are not relevant as the person who bumped this thread is from California I believe and even if you were closer to the location, it makes more sense to take the extra 1.5 - 2 hour drive to Vegas. Which probably has convenient flight options too.

Reactions: 1 users
YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. RVU CO and UT are the same school, different locations. Those board numbers are for the entire school. You keep bring up BYU for some reason. They never wanted a med school. And you bring up Noorda for some reason. RVU has established rotations 5 years before Noorda ever existed. Similar to KCU, OUHCOM (off the top of my head) they published their match data for their campuses together because they are same school. When asked by the students to provide separate data, they provided it. They were not hiding it, and admin admitted it was not as successful as they would like. I can't be convinced for-profit matters. I've been taken advantage of for money less at RVU than at the other non profit schools I've been enrolled in, its all a cash grab even for the non profits. Its not as obvious as you think it is, thats why OP asked.

I just find it weird that you care so much that Touro is unequivocally is better than RVU. Both schools are not in the top 5 or bottom 5. They are somewhere in the middle of the pack. Touro is probably safer. I just wanted to share that RVU is a solid option that should be considered.

Look, I get you’ve had a good time at the RVU campus in Colorado. But the new campus hasn’t shown much besides a bad match. Considering the school has only graduated 1 class, I’d recommend a host of schools over it. It doesn’t have to be Touro, but that’s what the other poster had as another option. The school could be Western, AZCOM, or PNWU to name a few. All of which I’d recommend. RVU Utah is in the bottom tier.

Fair, Its well established on SDN to attend the more established school, and for good reason. I just disagree with the Utah campus being bottom tier. They absolutely had a tough first year. The thing is, it really is the same school as CO, so I would expect the Utah campus to look more and more like the CO as time goes on. Im sure the first year had plenty of growing pains at first, especially with less faculty on campus and new clinical faculty. But now its almost 50/50, and with the same administration. This incoming class in the fall will be their 6th class, not that new in DO world (20% of DO schools are newer), and as someone closely observing their 4th, I see no reason they won't quickly be equivalent with CO. Again, just sharing the argument for RVU, add perspective so people can make the best decision for themselves.

That could happen. I base it on other schools that have multiple campuses like PCOM and VCOM. The Georgia campus near Atlanta has been around for a while but is not the same caliber as the original in Philadelphia. Still a quality school, but it is hard to see it becoming significantly better in the foreseeable future.

That could happen. I base it on other schools that have multiple campuses like PCOM and VCOM. The Georgia campus near Atlanta has been around for a while but is not the same caliber as the original in Philadelphia. Still a quality school, but it is hard to see it becoming significantly better in the foreseeable future.
My understanding for PCOM (could be wrong), is that they are different schools but share a name and high level administration. Like Midwestern AZCOM and CCOM, I don't think they are really the same school. They don't have the same professors and are not attending the same classes, RVU is.

I don't believe the apps are different, you have to chose one on the primary or else they choose for you. It may have changed though, im not sure. They do not send the dumber ones to Utah. If you look at the class profile Utah's stats are actually higher.

PCOM has the same curriculum now, I’m not sure how it was before. But I assume they used the same stuff and shifted faculty too because I remember seeing a dean had left for the newer South Georgia campus.

lol love SDN getting us off topic. I think its the same curriculum and schedule but different professors and different lectures. At RVU lectures are streamed/recorded and both campuses get the same lecture from the same professor.

I just looked it up PCOM's GA campus is a branch campus. Their S GA campus is an additional location. So I think that means they share lectures with the S GA. But essentially only share name, admin, and some resources with GA.

could you elaborate?
They encourage people to go to Caribbean medical schools (SGU) because the parent company owns both schools.