******RVU-COM Class of 2012******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

White Rabbit

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to everyone currently en route to the Rocky Vista University-College of Osteopathic Medicine in Parker, Colorado!

rvuheader.jpg

DenverColorado.jpg

http://www.rockyvistauniversity.org/

Members don't see this ad.

The reality that school is starting in a few months is slowly sinking in.

I can't wait to start!

So i was looking at your schools hospital rotation list. Will all of them be offering residencies when you are done with school?

Members don't see this ad :)
So i was looking at your schools hospital rotation list. Will all of them be offering residencies when you are done with school?

While the clinical rotation list is impressive there's no way to tell which locations will have residency positions open up just yet. It's likely we'll be "auditioning" at select sites for residency when our time to rotate arrives. Dr. Smith (and other faculty probably) is working through the process of local hospital relationships and the actual creation of residency positions; there's significant criteria that must be met to qualify as a residency site as well. Dr. Smith has the experience and provides more detail on numbers and residency types at the interview (a large selection of specialties, including those which are competitive).

Thanks for the info anyways. I'll have to check back later sometime when the school gets rolling. Right now im 2nd year at NYCOM, but im from CO and would like to apply there for residency there if they have any by 2010. If not I guess CU is my only other option as far as residency in CO goes. Again thanks and good luck in the fall.

Thanks for hooking up the new thread whiterabbit!

I am excited and a little nervous for school to start this summer. I am really looking forward to meeting you guys in the coming months.

Hey everyone...did you all get your MyVista login today? I have to try to add pages and all that stuff. See you guys soon.

Thanks for hooking up the new thread whiterabbit!

I am excited and a little nervous for school to start this summer. I am really looking forward to meeting you guys in the coming months.

Likewise!

St. Mary's in GJ has an ACGME residency in family practice.

And than you for the added insight, ShyRem! :thumbup:

Thanks for the info anyways. I'll have to check back later sometime when the school gets rolling. Right now im 2nd year at NYCOM, but im from CO and would like to apply there for residency there if they have any by 2010. If not I guess CU is my only other option as far as residency in CO goes. Again thanks and good luck in the fall.

Thank you for the well-wishes! I hope I didn't come across highfalutin about the criteria for residencies; as a 2nd year at NYCOM, you already know this bit of info! :cool: Best of luck to you, too. :thumbup:

More stuff got posted on MyVista today. Check it out. You can get so of the paperwork done and even order your white coat!

Hello! I will be attending RVU! See my post on the RVU interview thread #717! I am wondering, how did you get your MYVISTA login? :rolleyes:

Hello! I will be attending RVU! See my post on the RVU interview thread #717! I am wondering, how did you get your MYVISTA login? :rolleyes:

You'll get it via e-mail from admissions. :thumbup:

Thanks white rabbit! I have sent an email to RVU about MYVISTA, along with a few other Q's. I was accepted back in February and I am looking forward to meeting everyone, Happy Hour a must! I have enjoyed catching up with all that has been posted on SDN and I must say I am proud of those who have stood for RVU by setting facts straight. I have only heard great feedback about the faculty at RVU (including from those I encountered at the AMSA national conference in Houston who come from various med schools, both MD and DO) and I definitely got the impression that we will be well guided when I interviewed. I am proud to be among the pioneers of RVU-COM!! Class of 2012!!
Ciao!! :zip:

Lost this thread so bumping... OldMeezer (or anyone else) - you might consider corresponding directly with Kathy Leary, the RVUCOM Financial Aid Director; she has all the information and details regarding financial avenues that you require. I'd also suggest utilizing our portal for accepted students, there's a general discussion (and other areas) where financial information is addressed.

There are quite a few FP programs in CO outside of CU as far as I know, several in Denver, Greeley and Ft Co also have one each. I think there is even a surgery program in Denver that is not part of CU.
Good luck to all of you, I'd be psyched to stay in CO for school too!

There are quite a few FP programs in CO outside of CU as far as I know, several in Denver, Greeley and Ft Co also have one each. I think there is even a surgery program in Denver that is not part of CU.
Good luck to all of you, I'd be psyched to stay in CO for school too!

Yeah, Nick is right. The progrsm is at Exempla St. Joseph's in Denver. They also offer fam med, on/gyn, IM, and most of the other specialties. I don't lknow the exact website but do a search for Exempla St. Joseph's and all the info will be there. I know they are D.O. friendly (even for Gen Surg). As a CO native that's where I'll be looking.

Good luck and I am excited to see the school when I come back and visit :thumbup:

I'm from the west and would love to be in the mountains again. Furthermore, DO is my preference. Sorry to hijack the thread incidentally...but I have a couple questions:

1. How are you guys paying for school? Are any of you married or have kids? Do you think you'll be able to get enough loan money to cover everything?

2. Is there a list of potential residencies?

Thanks for the info!

I'm very happy with my choice thus far and yes, there are MedPLus NELNET and other private loans available to cover expenses for the time being (until we receive full accreditation). Some folks are doing HPSP, too. Anyway, you can find out more information with regard to clincial rotation sites (partial rotation list here on SDN) and residencies through Dr. Smith or Dr. Mohr; they've approximately 150 lined up currently with a targeted 250 more when we exit clinicals. They (Drs. Mohr and Smith) are working solely on residency evaluation and creation in the coming years. Best of luck! :thumbup:

PS. Good number of married folk with kids as well.

There is ALOT of married students with kids I have two myself a two year old and a two month old. The administration seems to really get that many of us have them or will have them while in school. As far as financing I am HPSP so I get paid to go to school. I think it was the right choice for me (HPSP I have no doubts about the school). Though if you plan on doing HPSP start it NOW!! It seems to take forever to get it all together and there is always one more hoop to jump through. PM me if you got more questions.