Rutgers vs Temple for Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Just wanted to get your opinions on which school has the better program for Pharmacy. Temple or Rutgers?
Im more leaning towards Rutgers but I just want to make sure im making the right decision.
Any help would be grateful~~!

Members don't see this ad.

wow no one here is thinking or currently attending Rutgers or Temple for Pharmacy? Is it possibly becuase Rutgers and Temple's pharmD programs just arent good and strong as the other school's mentioned in this forum?
All the help will be appreciated

Rutgers is a very good school!! It's ultra competitive now to get in and don't discount Temple- both schools are good schools. If you're thinking about both- apply to them both because you can't be sure which one will accept you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Superfly- I have another question-does Temple require the PCAT and an interview? I may have to include them in my list of potentials. (first I really wanted Rutgers-but too competitive-too many prereqs and too long of a program). I would really like to go to Albany, but would consider Temple, the pre-reqs seem OK. NO offense to anyone in PA, but I really don't like PA, but would make the sacrifice if that was the only school I could get in.

Yes, starting next year, anyone applying to Temple's School of Pharmacy in the fall of 2005 will now be required to take the PCATS. This sucks cuase im doing my pre-reqs this year and ill be applying for pharmacy schools next year. Just my luck i guess.
As far as interviews go, I think every/majority of pharmacy schools requires an interview if you are one of the highly potential applicants selected for one. Rutgers, does not require PCATS but they say its only an "option". I asked them and they said it wouldnt help much or hurt my chances for acceptance if i took the PCATs, assumming my grades and GPA are very strong still. Rutgers is very competative to gain admissions however i know that if you take your pre-reqs at Rutgers college then the admissions process will be a lil easier and quicker and it might even help you chances for acceptance.
As for pre-reqs, Rutgers does have couple more classes pre-required for pharmacy compared to Temple. But then again, other schools have other requirements that arent required by temple or rutgers. So that really sucks for people applying for pharmacy school cuase if i wanna apply to more than 2-3 schools, does that mean i have to take extra classes just to make sure i fullfil all the minimumn requirments for every school i apply too? Sorry if this sounds confusing.
Last factor i considered for pharmacy school was that I really dont like the area Temple campus is in. If i have to work or stay at school late then I dont wanna have to pack some heat to protect myself when walking to my car/train/bus.
Rutgers for me will be much longer commute but in long run i think it will be worth it.

hey Superflyjsc,

how was the interview at Temple? I have one coming up soon, any help/advice would be nice.

:)

Evil Genious-

Sorry if there was any confusion to my status but as I had mentioned in my previous post that I am only doing my pre-reqs this year and I shall be applying for admissions to pharmacy schools next year. If you are asking me about Temple's school of pharmacy interview, I apologize but I wouldnt be able to help you with that since I havent had an interview with them yet. My interview with Temple was for their Post Bacc Pre-health program in preparation for Pharmacy schools. If you wanted to ask a question concerning that then I will be more than happy to help you with that however.
Sorry for any confusion~*
Good luck wit your interview.