Rutgers RWJ vs Rutgers NJMS for Love Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeSchoolPlz

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I'm going to be honest here, my biggest criteria in choosing one vs the other is dating life....As a single late 20's male, I'm looking to settle down eventually lol and both of these schools seem great in terms of education. Please, where would ya'll think the best dating scene is for a single guy. To add, I am not really a big fan of dating college kids - life experience and age gap is probably too big for me. I'm also OOS so am not too familiar with each city, although I have visited both a few times.

Rutgers RWJ
Pros:
-Has a few major companies in New Brunswick that will have working professionals
-Has lots of grad schools (dentistry, nursing, pharm) on the same campus
-Looks like it has more international travel opportunities
-Attached to undergrad so has big college facilities
-New Brunswick itself is really nice
-True P/F
-60% Females (yes yes I know, I will try not to **** where I eat, but ya never know!)

Cons:
-Smaller city - I'm from a big city so naturally have more affinity for larger cities

Rutgers NJMS
Pros:
-Larger city than New Brunswick aka maybe larger dating pool?
-More major companies located there (I think?)
-Great clinical training at University Hospital
-Closer proximity to NYC and Jersey City
-Urban underserved medicine work

Cons:
-50% Females
-International opportunities look fewer

Members don't see this ad.

lmao ur post is helpful to me who wants to know the pros and cons of rwjms and njms, so thanks for that. tho i can't say much about the dating scene

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
NJMS has 2 law schools nearby, Rutgers Newark and Seton Hall, and Rutgers Business School. Also, it is a quick ride to NYC, Jersey City and Hoboken which are pretty vibrant. RWJ has undergrads and about 14k grad students (but a decent portion probably commute and are part-time).

NJMS has 2 law schools nearby, Rutgers Newark and Seton Hall, and Rutgers Business School. Also, it is a quick ride to NYC, Jersey City and Hoboken which are pretty vibrant. RWJ has undergrads and about 14k grad students (but a decent portion probably commute and are part-time).
Gigijay with the stats - I love it! What would you do if you were me lmao.

If this is a serious question, then NJMS hands down. You can live in Hoboken, which is basically part of NYC (10 min ferry or train ride). With that, you have an incredible dating pool open to you. What's in New Brunswick?

If this is a serious question, then NJMS hands down. You can live in Hoboken, which is basically part of NYC (10 min ferry or train ride). With that, you have an incredible dating pool open to you. What's in New Brunswick?
This is 100% a serious question unfortunately lmao. I think proximity to NYC is a huge selling point for dating. Do you go there?

Don’t pick a med school based on this
Well do you see a huge differentiator between RWJ and NJMS that would lead you to pick one over the other?

In my opinion culture/personality of the school, which includes opportunity to live a life and date are HUGE reasons to choose one school over another. Especially if the schools are pretty similar academically and match really well. That's just my opinion though - would love to get your take. Are you seeing something that I am not?

Reactions: 1 users
Any updates on your decision? I'm in a similar boat and completely agree with valuing personal and dating life.
Hahaha absolutely no updates or additional insights. My personal preference probably still is NJMS just because it is a larger city and close to NYC. Any insights you want to share?

Seeing that my earlier comment offered absolutely no insight (sorry lol), let me share my thoughts as a Jersey resident. I applied to both schools and interviewed at RWJMS; results don’t come out until later this month, but I believe I am unbiased, as I’m not upset NJMS didn’t interview me, nor will I be attending RWJMS (a full ride would change things lol).

Now that I got those disclosures out of the way, I will say that NJMS would be 50x more appealing to me than RWJMS in terms of location and social life. Academically and resource wise, I think RWJ gets my vote. It’s really tough to say that just because I would prefer the NJMS location and social scene that you would too. Jersey City/ Hoboken have way more of a social/ nightlife scene. So, many young adults move to tbis area after college. Therefore, I have friends there and know that my type of people exist there. Piscataway and New Brunswick really don’t attract visitors other than those who work and live there. For this reason, I would give NJMS the massive edge socially. Jersey city and Hoboken are full of young adults looking to have fun, and naturally attract a wide variety of people (although Hoboken attracts more of the basic white girl crowd/ young adults that grew up in wealthier NJ towns. Sorry wasn’t sure how else to portray the difference in demographics).

Hope this helps!

Edit: You also have NYC right across the river at NJMS, with access via a quick and cheap ferry or the PATH (train). You won’t even really need the city, given that Hoboken is a scene all on it’s own.

Last edited: