Rutgers NJMS versus SUNY Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nohellohere

Reaction score
Hello all! Reaching out because I feel like I am close to a decision but would like some thoughts from anyone who has experience with either school and loved/hated it or anyone that might have a more objective view of these factors (and more). NY resident!

Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Pros
  • Eligible for in-state tuition and possible scholarship (covers 1/4 of tuition approximately)
  • Diverse patient population and experience
  • Strong support network (family/friends) in the NJ and NYC area

Cons
  • Graded pre-clinical curriculum (Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail) after MS1 first semester: students seem slightly less collaborative
  • Older/smaller facilities
  • No formal clinical experience prior to MS3

SUNY Upstate
Pros
  • Newer/nicer facilities
  • Pass/Fail pre-clinical curriculum: students seem more collaborative/chill
  • Earlier clinical experience (longitudinal prior to MS3)
Cons
  • More brutal winter/weather
  • Farther from support network/slightly more isolated
  • No current financial opportunities (though would pay in-state tuition)
Other (I wasn’t sure if this was a pro or con for Upstate)
  • New accelerated pre-clinical curriculum (previously 2 years, 2 pass organ system curriculum, now a 1.5 year, 1 pass organ system curriculum)

Summary: Mostly wondering if a potentially cheaper cost of medical school & proximity to family is worth the sacrifice of a graded pre-clinical curriculum. I believe that the schools are similarly ranked (correct me if I’m wrong) and both have opportunities for service/research/matching in the NE so I’m not particularly concerned in that regard! Also obviously waiting on the final financial information so the scholarship may or may not be relevant in the end. Please share any thoughts you might have!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Not sure if you made a decision yet but stumbled across your post. personally I've talked to many students who emphasize the immense benefit of a true P/F school. I think the curriculum at Upstate sounds really cool and I am going there in July so I am biased, but I learn best through collaborative team-based learning and active learning strategies as opposed to just passive lectures and reading text. Also, to me winters will be cold in NJ and Syracuse (though I do know Syracuse is super cold) but I don't think this should factor too much into your decision (as opposed to if it was like NY vs. Florida).

For me, cost is huge though so if you find yourself having to pay a lot less for NJ, then that could be a better option and I do believe the schools are similarly ranked? Though I am not positive, maybe check match statistics too, I know upstates was 99% this past year and is usually around 98-100%. These are just some thoughts but ultimately reflect on how you learn best and if you're someone who would like to take a weekend or free time to spend with family or friends and going to NJ allows you to do that, then it may be better.