Rutgers- GSBS MBS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think maybe mine it taking so long cuz i applied for the medical scholars program, since mostly everyone on this thread seems to be dental....apparently after speaking with a rep earlier in the beginning of may, she told me that only one person was reviewing all the "med scholar" apps, so it would be taking some time in order to hear back.

Members don't see this ad.

I think maybe mine it taking so long cuz i applied for the medical scholars program, since mostly everyone on this thread seems to be dental....apparently after speaking with a rep earlier in the beginning of may, she told me that only one person was reviewing all the "med scholar" apps, so it would be taking some time in order to hear back.
So it's not too late to apply? Also, is medical scholars only available on the Rutgers campus?

So it's not too late to apply? Also, is medical scholars only available on the Rutgers campus?

I don't think its too late to apply because I believe the deadline is june 15th, so u have a little bit of time...but depending on how long ur letters of rec and transcripts take to process, it may be cutting it close. As for "medical scholars" that applies to the Rutgers Newark campus. There's a separate MBS program at the Piscataway campus which is very similar to the "medical scholars" program at Newark. However, each program requires a separate application and application fee, as well as separate letter of recs. If you apply to both, u have to send in the same materials twice (ex: letter of rec).

Good luck on applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think its too late to apply because I believe the deadline is june 15th, so u have a little bit of time...but depending on how long ur letters of rec and transcripts take to process, it may be cutting it close. As for "medical scholars" that applies to the Rutgers Newark campus. There's a separate MBS program at the Piscataway campus which is very similar to the "medical scholars" program at Newark. However, each program requires a separate application and application fee, as well as separate letter of recs. If you apply to both, u have to send in the same materials twice (ex: letter of rec).

Good luck on applying!
Awesome! Thanks for reply! Would you happen to know what type of MCAT prep they offer? I called someone on the Rutgers campus and she told she's not sure if they are going to offer it, because apparently its sponsored by the school of medicine. o_O

Applied: 4/23/14 • Acceptance letter: 5/29/14 • Newark campus medical scholars program • MCAT: 38 • cGPA: 3.17

See you guys in MGM (hopefully)!

Hi Everyone,
I am curious about how large a typical class size is? Also, who will be attending from out of state?

Awesome! Thanks for reply! Would you happen to know what type of MCAT prep they offer? I called someone on the Rutgers campus and she told she's not sure if they are going to offer it, because apparently its sponsored by the school of medicine. o_O

On their website i read they don't offer mcat prep but a cognitive skill class or something that will help. I also read on a previous thread on sdn that medicals students review how to study for the mcat for $400, but not sure if they still do that cuz that thread was a few years old.

Got my acceptance to dental scholars at Newark, but now I'm stuck between going to the MSMS at USF or this. They're both great programs! :help:

Got my acceptance to dental schools at Newark, but now I'm stuck between going to the MSMS at USF or this. They're both great programs! : help:

I chose the Newark program for usf because I have heard that the schools up here look at this program favorably. I don't know if that's true but I took a chance.

anyone get their net id yet? i can't register mine. need it for housing.

where are you all looking to live? 180 west market looks ideal, anyone know if it fills quickly?

To the people accepted to the Newark program, did it state specifically that you were accepted into the medical scholars program? My intention is to go to medical school but in all of the stuff they have sent me it never mentions what "track" I was accepted in. I remember choosing the medical scholars option on my application.

Anyone here currently going or is going to attend the Robert Wood Johnson program? My app is up for review this week and there's seems to be very little info on this forum

On their website i read they don't offer mcat prep but a cognitive skill class or something that will help. I also read on a previous thread on sdn that medicals students review how to study for the mcat for $400, but not sure if they still do that cuz that thread was a few years old.
We did it last year but dunno anything about going forward; they havent said its not happening

Members don't see this ad :)
To the people accepted to the Newark program, did it state specifically that you were accepted into the medical scholars program? My intention is to go to medical school but in all of the stuff they have sent me it never mentions what "track" I was accepted in. I remember choosing the medical scholars option on my application.

Anyone here currently going or is going to attend the Robert Wood Johnson program? My app is up for review this week and there's seems to be very little info on this forum

Hi @rambop2 if I remembered correctly the email and letter sent in the mail didn't state the track, but on the portal it states medical scholars for mine as thats what I applied for.

I chose the Newark program for usf because I have heard that the schools up here look at this program favorably. I don't know if that's true but I took a chance.
I want to remain in Florida for dental school, Nova to be exact. I wonder if adcoms look favorably on a program depending if it's within the same state, which is why I'm wondering if Rutgers holds any weight.

Reactions: 1 user
I want to remain in Florida for dental school, Nova to be exact. I wonder if adcoms look favorably on a program depending if it's within the same state, which is why I'm wondering if Rutgers holds any weight.

Have you asked at nova? Maybe talking to a prof or someone could give you more insight? It def be cheaper to go instate :)

Thanks @nuero85, I haven't paid the deposit and therefore can't access the portal. I'm waiting to hear from Robert Wood Johnson before I decide. I'm leaning towards Piscatway because it's on a nicer campus and the classes are smaller,but the Newark program is much older and maybe medical schools are more familiar with it. Decisions .... Decisions......

You are welcome @rambop2. You should be able to have limited access to the portal even though you haven't paid. I am not sure if we are talking about the same portal, but what I am referring to was sent in an email when you first applied to check your status. It took awhile before my correct status was updated online though as I received an email first. I just sent my deposit last week, but I am stay waiting to hear from other places. I am trying to get more info on class size? Do you happen to have numbers? I am also from out of state so I am trying to figure out how beneficial it would be for me as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You are welcome @rambop2. You should be able to have limited access to the portal even though you haven't paid. I am not sure if we are talking about the same portal, but what I am referring to was sent in an email when you first applied to check your status. It took awhile before my correct status was updated online though as I received an email first. I just sent my deposit last week, but I am stay waiting to hear from other places. I am trying to get more info on class size? Do you happen to have numbers? I am also from out of state so I am trying to figure out how beneficial it would be for me as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The graduate class at Newark is around 180 I believe. It doesn't mean you're gonna take classes with 180 students, a good chunk are there for dental school, some want to stay in research and pursue a PHD, and some like us wanna go to med school. The class in Piscataway is around 30 to 40 and most are there for medical school. My application status still says no decision while I received an official acceptance letter and email about 3 weeks ago. I had a chat with Robert Wood Johnson admissions and I have a good chance there. Honestly I don't know which program to choose, and as much as I have searched here and on the web there isn't much info on which program is better. The Newark deadline for a deposit is near and I don't know where to go.

I applied for the medical scholars track as my first option (research second, dental third), but my acceptance letter doesn't state anything about a track.

The graduate class at Newark is around 180 I believe. It doesn't mean you're gonna take classes with 180 students, a good chunk are there for dental school, some want to stay in research and pursue a PHD, and some like us wanna go to med school. The class in Piscataway is around 30 to 40 and most are there for medical school. My application status still says no decision while I received an official acceptance letter and email about 3 weeks ago. I had a chat with Robert Wood Johnson admissions and I have a good chance there. Honestly I don't know which program to choose, and as much as I have searched here and on the web there isn't much info on which program is better. The Newark deadline for a deposit is near and I don't know where to go.

Thank you @rambop2. So, do you know how many new people come in each year then? Are you from out of state? What I started doing is researching old forums from previous classes and finding people to message to see if I can get any more info.

I applied for the medical scholars track as my first option (research second, dental third), but my acceptance letter doesn't state anything about a track.

@StudentDorktor it doesn't say it in the letter, but when it is updated online ( portal) it will say the track. I am not sure if you are new here, but if that is the case I would try reading through this forum. I am utilizing it more and more to try to get answers and share what I know/hear from others.

@StudentDorktor it doesn't say it in the letter, but when it is updated online ( portal) it will say the track. I am not sure if you are new here, but if that is the case I would try reading through this forum. I am utilizing it more and more to try to get answers and share what I know/hear from others.

where in the portal does it tell?

Yep, this is the site. I actually have been accepted but it says no decision

Hi @kmpate03 the same thing happened to me. It took a little while for the website to be updated as I got the acceptance email first and maybe even the letter in the mail before the website was updated.

has anyone been able to make a netid yet? about how long after you sent your deposit in were you able to make one? cant apply for housing without it =\

also is anyone who is in the dental scholars program at newark retaking the dat and if so, when do you plan on doing it? before or after or during the program?

also is anyone who is in the dental scholars program at newark retaking the dat and if so, when do you plan on doing it? before or after or during the program?
I'm thinking of preparing for the rest of the summer and taking it towards the end of August. It would be impossible to handle DAT prep and maintain a stellar gpa in this program, imo.

Have you asked at nova? Maybe talking to a prof or someone could give you more insight? It def be cheaper to go instate :)
I called the dean of the dental school today and left him a message. Hopefully I'll get an insightful opinion, especially since the deposit deadline is fast approaching :/

Yeah I'm planning on studying for it during the summer and take it sometime in August. I think it might be challenging to focus on both the program and the DATs once the program starts.

Yep, this is the site. I actually have been accepted but it says no decision

It takes sometime for it to update. It said no decision for me for sometime too but now it finally says accepted.

I've been accepted to both programs. I'm going to Piscataway even though its a much longer commute. @neuro85, I actually live very close to Newark, but the Piscataway program is very small and focused on just medical school. There isn't much info on the forums so I made my decision on a gut feeling. Also my status just changed to accepted even though I was accepted a month ago. Good luck to all future Rutgers GSBS students!

Just got my acceptance to dental scholars at Newark on friday. Also have an acceptance from Rutgers SMP, trying to decide which program is better suited for me :/ Any ideas on the differences?

I've been accepted to both the Newark and Piscataway Campuses. I was wondering if anyone knew differences in linkage to their medical schools for some one who is out-of-state and which one would be a better option since from my knowledge both are public...

@drdreiscle From my knowledge, I've heard that the RWJMS MBS program is focused more on medicine than dental. I would think Newark would be a better dental option, but that's just from what I know. Hope that helps!

Is there a facebook group for the Piscataway campus?

Just got my acceptance to dental scholars at Newark on friday. Also have an acceptance from Rutgers SMP, trying to decide which program is better suited for me :/ Any ideas on the differences?
Yeah I have also heard that Newark is better for dental versus the other program. Congrats on your acceptances!

Congrats to those who got in! I was accepted to both newark and piscataway and chose piscataway. Does anyone know the acceptance rate for the RWJ MBS program?

Hi, I am interested in the Robert Wood Johnson MBS program. For the people admitted or rejected by RWJ, what were your stats? I have a 3.0 gpa, 26 MCAT, URM status. Do I stand a chance, since it seems Robert Wood Johnson is more selective? Thanks

I was accepted for this program a few days ago and I think you have more than a good chance! My stats: 3.14 GPA 22 MCAT, URM status...I also have several extracurricular activities and hundred of hours of clinical and pharmaceutical experiences as well.

Has anyone found housing or know of good places to look for the Piscataway campus!

@persistentpremed
I'm assuming you are referring to the acceptance of MBS students into RWJMS. According to the discussions on FB 3 of the 12 AAP students were accepted. However according to the website, 7 students joined RWJMS from the MBS program. The numbers don't look that great. But the class size is fairly small around 50-60 students and not all of them may apply to RWJMS and many apparently don't even qualify for AAP. And I've been told that 70% get in somewhere.
This info is for the Piscataway campus.

@persistentpremed
I'm assuming you are referring to the acceptance of MBS students into RWJMS. According to the discussions on FB 3 of the 12 AAP students were accepted. However according to the website, 7 students joined RWJMS from the MBS program. The numbers don't look that great. But the class size is fairly small around 50-60 students and not all of them may apply to RWJMS and many apparently don't even qualify for AAP. And I've been told that 70% get in somewhere.
This info is for the Piscataway campus.
Thanks!! This is really helpful! Fingers crossed :)

Hey guys! I'll be in the Rutgers Dental Scholars program this fall and am looking for a roommate! I am from out of state so I am figuring out some housing options. Please message me if you are interested! :)

Hey guys, just got accepted into the Piscataway Program, just one question. Is public transportation good enough for living there or will I need a car?

@Dhally Unless you live on campus, you will probably have to drive. If your choose to live in an off campus apartment in Piscataway, you need to purchase a parking pass for like $170/yr. (Rutgers gives a ton of parking tickets) Though, if you choose to live in New Brunswick you could just take the bus over, which is sufficient. Hopefully this helps.

@Dhally Unless you live on campus, you will probably have to drive. If your choose to live in an off campus apartment in Piscataway, you need to purchase a parking pass for like $170/yr. (Rutgers gives a ton of parking tickets) Though, if you choose to live in New Brunswick you could just take the bus over, which is sufficient. Hopefully this helps.
Hi! How soon over the summer should we apply for parking passes?

Just got rejected from Rutgers newark smp. Not sure why. Thought I had a pretty good chance. Should I write some sort of follow up letter? I really wanted this...

@persistentpremed don't think there is a good or bad time, generally there is more then enough spots. @premedgrl1 I would write them a follow up, you never know people may still reject an offer. Also, If you don't mind sharing, what was your GPA/MCAT

Rutgers admissions doesn't seem like they have their ducks in a row exactly.

I've emailed 2x (well over a week ago), called 2x, no response for either as to whether my application is complete. I'm about to ask for a refund...