Rush Medical College Class Of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Saraeee said:
Hey all!

Does anyone know how long after sending in the housing application it takes to get our housing assignments?

Also, are most of you guys living on campus next year ?
I just got mine in about a week or so ago (I think I was really late, though). When I called they said they still had spots available, at least for 1 bed and 2 bed places. Maybe they wait to send out leases until all the apartments are full?

Btw I will be on-campus. partyin it up (probably not, but hey)

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone see the article in the Tribune magazine last week that talked about the gross anatomy course at Rush? It was really interesting and full of really cool pictures.

sup guys,

it sure feels lonely out here. where is everyone?

anyways i was wondering, how much do most students at rush study every day at rush if you dont have a photographic memory?

as for coming to rush, i'm excited that i can finally begin what i set my sights on for the last 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whootman said:
Did anyone see the article in the Tribune magazine last week that talked about the gross anatomy course at Rush? It was really interesting and full of really cool pictures.
yeah. but it makes me wonder why they wrote that article at all ($,?). the subject matter is neither new nor original.

Hey guys - I'm new to this thread, but I'm also very excited about starting in the fall! What do you guys know about the center court apartments? Has anyone actually seen them, and are they ok? I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to live on campus or not...at this point they probably don't have any apartments left anyway and that may have made my decision for me!

But if I'm living off campus, I'm definitely interested in living with another med student. Is anyone else looking for a roomate? I'm female and would like to live with another female, nonsmoker. I'm not even sure what neighborhood, but I'm thinking bucktown or lincoln park. If anyone's interested, send me a msg!

girlMD03 said:
Hey guys - I'm new to this thread, but I'm also very excited about starting in the fall! What do you guys know about the center court apartments? Has anyone actually seen them, and are they ok? I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to live on campus or not...at this point they probably don't have any apartments left anyway and that may have made my decision for me!

But if I'm living off campus, I'm definitely interested in living with another med student. Is anyone else looking for a roomate? I'm female and would like to live with another female, nonsmoker. I'm not even sure what neighborhood, but I'm thinking bucktown or lincoln park. If anyone's interested, send me a msg!

I just turned in my housing application last week and they said there were still apartments available. You should give them a call if you're interested cuz they were super helpful when i called. good luck and see you in the fall!

girlMD03 said:

live at center court! its a minute walking distance from rush, and the apartments are pretty nice and at a reasonable price (650 a person for a double). plus jill porter, the admissions director, said somewhere around 70 or more of the M1 class usually live in center court the first year. it'll be a great way to meet and hang out/study with a lot of kids in our class. also, pregaming, parties, keggers and other social stuff would be pretty convenient if we all just live a few apartments away.

Ok, thanks for the info guys. I totally agree that living at center court would be very convenient and a lot of fun, but at the same time I'm a little hesitant to live right near the school. I tend to study at the library or a coffee shop, so when I go home I want to be able to chill and not feel like I'm still at school...and I'm not sure that there's really anything going on in that neighborhood except the hospital and the school and UIC (please correct me if I'm wrong!). On the other hand, we probably won't have time for that much else anyway so maybe during the first year adjustment period it would be best to live right near the school.

trapperjohn said:
live at center court! its a minute walking distance from rush, and the apartments are pretty nice and at a reasonable price (650 a person for a double). plus jill porter, the admissions director, said somewhere around 70 or more of the M1 class usually live in center court the first year. it'll be a great way to meet and hang out/study with a lot of kids in our class. also, pregaming, parties, keggers and other social stuff would be pretty convenient if we all just live a few apartments away.
Yar! Trapper john will be hosting the keggers so I can keep my place ***** and span. Thanks bud!

chef_NU said:
Yar! Trapper john will be hosting the keggers so I can keep my place ***** and span. Thanks bud!
Haha, they censored me. Does **** work?

Couldn't let us drop off the first page...

Hello fellow classmates!

Has anyone received any paperwork for registration or anything???

Thanks!
Sara

Saraeee said:
Hello fellow classmates!

Thanks!
Sara
Just got my lease in the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Saraeee said:
Hello fellow classmates!

Thanks!
Sara

nope.
anyone know what orientation is like?

you know, I was looking at my financial aid package and I was just curious to know if Rush gives out grants to every student or not...

If people aren't uncomfortable about it, anyone wanna share how much rush is giving them in grants?

just a thought, really

also, does anyone know on what basis the grants are given out? if it is merit, what exactly are they looking at?

girlMD03 said:
nope.
anyone know what orientation is like?

Orientation is wed to friday, with some ice breakers, welcome speeches, white coat ceremony, social events, and the usual talks from upper classmen, and all...it is laid back and a good transition to medical school. you'll enjoy it...any other questions about Rush..shoot away, im starting my 4th year in a few weeks!

samyjay said:
Orientation is wed to friday, with some ice breakers, welcome speeches, white coat ceremony, social events, and the usual talks from upper classmen, and all...it is laid back and a good transition to medical school. you'll enjoy it...any other questions about Rush..shoot away, im starting my 4th year in a few weeks!
Are welcome speeches and white coat ceremony mandatory?

Hi everyone!

So I called the housing office yesterday and was told that I'd most probably get the 2 bedroom apt (my first choice). I was just wondering, for those of you living in the 2 bedroom, how are you deciding who gets the master bedroom and who gets the parking spot???? Are you doing first come, first serve, or one person gets the parking spot and the other the master bedroom?

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and I look forward to meeting you all!!!!

I am in a 2 bedroom, and I don't have a car, so I told my roommate he could have the parking spot. As far as the master bedroom is concerned, I haven't really thought about that yet, but I like your idea of giving the master bedroom to the person without the parking spot. Sounds fair to me. I'm sure even if you were in the other bedroom, it would be fine, though.

Oh yeah...I'd have no problem with the other room at all. I just thought it would be nice to have your own bathroom and an additional closet :D

No biggie though!

Whootman said:
I am in a 2 bedroom, and I don't have a car, so I told my roommate he could have the parking spot. As far as the master bedroom is concerned, I haven't really thought about that yet, but I like your idea of giving the master bedroom to the person without the parking spot. Sounds fair to me. I'm sure even if you were in the other bedroom, it would be fine, though.

Saraeee said:
I was just wondering, for those of you living in the 2 bedroom, how are you deciding who gets the master bedroom and who gets the parking spot???? Are you doing first come, first serve, or one person gets the parking spot and the other the master bedroom?

This issue is usually settled with a drunken cage match. Gouging and biting are not allowed, but everything else is legal (including kicks and whatnot below the belt). First to knock his/her opponent unconscious wins pretty much the entire 2 bedroom save the closet and maybe occasional bathroom priviledges. (Not that I will be living in a 2 bedroom, but this is how I would handle it)

/flex

just trying to bring this thread back to the first page-

also, even though its a long ways away, is everyone living at center court planning to move in september first? i definetly plan on it. if so, since we have a good 5 days before orientation (which starts sept 5th) we should plan some parties and find some cool places to go out around chicago (bars/clubs). it'll be a cool way to get to know people in our class and let off some steam before we start med school. also rolling into a club 120 people deep would be pretty bad ass. just a thought.

trapperjohn said:

also, even though its a long ways away, is everyone living at center court planning to move in september first? i definetly plan on it. if so, since we have a good 5 days before orientation (which starts sept 5th) we should plan some parties and find some cool places to go out around chicago (bars/clubs). it'll be a cool way to get to know people in our class and let off some steam before we start med school. also rolling into a club 120 people deep would be pretty bad ass. just a thought.

I'm moving in Sept 1st as well, but my family's coming into town with me :p
I'd definitely be down to go out though- but I'd prolly have to bring my little brother with me :D (no worries though, he's 23).

chef_NU said:
Are welcome speeches and white coat ceremony mandatory?

White coat ceremony, yes, it is actually an important thing to go to... and you should go to everything

trapperjohn said:

I'd be down for sure.

trapperjohn said:

I'm down trapperjohn.

chef_NU said:
I'm down trapperjohn.
awesome. i'm just sitting around in the suburbs all summer, it gets dull. i cant wait to get the show on the road. i was thinking, it would be pretty cool to get a list of email addresses of everyone in our class and letting them know about this forum to get more people responding (so its not just the same 6 or 7 of us). also i could send out an email to everyone seeing who would be up for going out downtown sometime this break before september and meeting up with people in our class. i'll try to contact the admissions director about that and see if its possible, cause i'm sure that by now our entire class is pretty much set.

Hey what is up people...cannot wait for school to start...it will be awesome.... we are all going to be doctors!!!! My name is Joseph, I am in Beijing China right now and have been here, there everywhere for the last 6 months.... enjoying life to the max!!! anyway, i have not received any info on housing for whatever the reason and now i think it might be too late to get a place......so if anyone is in my boat and want to look for a chill apt close to school then let me know... I am from the burbs of chicago and know the city pretty well so we can get a sweet place...... I am easy going Asian American( think a cooler harold from Harold & Kumar) , male(obviously), will study really hard, but plan to have a life at least on the weekends (a.k.a. hang out with beautiful girls of all races but only one size, petite, and drink beer) so if u are down with just having a big flat screen tv with NBA league pass, 30 pack of beer, copies of NEJM, and lots of girls, but only on friday and saturday nights when we do not have exams in our apartment, and really nothing else then let me know......

wish u all a great summer
Joseph

THE Croupier said:
Hey what is up people...cannot wait for school to start...it will be awesome.... we are all going to be doctors!!!! My name is Joseph, I am in Beijing China right now and have been here, there everywhere for the last 6 months.... enjoying life to the max!!! anyway, i have not received any info on housing for whatever the reason and now i think it might be too late to get a place......so if anyone is in my boat and want to look for a chill apt close to school then let me know... I am from the burbs of chicago and know the city pretty well so we can get a sweet place...... I am easy going Asian American( think a cooler harold from Harold & Kumar) , male(obviously), will study really hard, but plan to have a life at least on the weekends (a.k.a. hang out with beautiful girls of all races but only one size, petite, and drink beer) so if u are down with just having a big flat screen tv with NBA league pass, 30 pack of beer, copies of NEJM, and lots of girls, but only on friday and saturday nights when we do not have exams in our apartment, and really nothing else then let me know......

wish u all a great summer
Joseph

Whats up man.....i had a similar problem with the housing. i applied super early online and didnt hear anything from them for a while. so i called and apparently they sent out my lease but it got lost in the mail so they sent out another one that i recieved in a day or two. i suggest calling them and talking to jill gabbert. from what i know, there are still spots available. anyway, its good to know you'll be coming to rush and down with having fun on the weekends. goodluck with finding a roommate. there have only been a few 2010's who have responded on this rush forum though (around 10 i think).

has anyone seen the apartments at west harrison that rush offers as on-campus housing?

anybody? anybody have an opinion about the area or the general apartment quality?

and if so , has anyone compared them to medical district court at 903 s ashland ave I heard its nicer but much more expensive!

thanks!

(i am not an incoming rush student, but an incoming sports medicine fellow and I'd rather pay rush for a 1 bedroom than random landlord)

i know we still have 2 months, but can the guys that just finished M1 year or older let us know what to specifically watch out for those first few weeks of school. basically if you were to repeat first year, is there anything you would personally change, or specific things about a class you wish you knew before starting (what to focus on or emphasize/avoid). or any other advice for us for that matter?

Hey All. I'm also going to be starting Rush in September too. I was debating whether or not to live in Center Court, but I think you all have me convinced. I'm moving from California, so I really don't feel like doing all the leg work to find a place in Chicago from here. I can't wait to meet you all!

Has anyone tried to download the immuni forms off that website? I can't get to it. Anyone have a copy who'd be willing to post? I lost mine and I don't recall whether or not there was a physical portion to the immuni bloodwork.

krakatoa said:
Has anyone tried to download the immuni forms off that website? I can't get to it. Anyone have a copy who'd be willing to post? I lost mine and I don't recall whether or not there was a physical portion to the immuni bloodwork.

here

Attachments

• Required%20Immunizations.pdf
    62.4 KB · Views: 152
Its_MurDAH said:

Thanks, Murdah. So there's no physical, or what? Anyone complete the form yet?

krakatoa said:
Thanks, Murdah. So there's no physical, or what? Anyone complete the form yet?

I called the health office and they said we don't need a physical, but just the immunizations form :) .

thanks Sarae.

btw, I checked out the rush computers page, and they say they have a discount deal through dell if one wants to purchase a computer. does anyone know anything about this? my current comp is ancient, and i want to replace it, but i'm trying to get the best deal. anyone in a similar situation?

hey has anyone here using perkins loans as well not yet finished their online registration/tutorial forms? i'm currently not in the US and it's been difficult for me to get all the information i need that i have at home. thanks! see you in september!

lil devil said:
Hey All. I'm also going to be starting Rush in September too. I was debating whether or not to live in Center Court, but I think you all have me convinced. I'm moving from California, so I really don't feel like doing all the leg work to find a place in Chicago from here. I can't wait to meet you all!

hey i'm from california as well! whereabouts?

Hi,

Just thought I'd poke my head in here and say hello. I'm Rachel and I'm starting at Rush this fall. I'm a child of the Chicago suburbs (my family lives in Glencoe right now, but I grew up in Schaumburg and thereabouts). I like cheese.

I wish Rush had an official blog or listserv or messageboard for incoming Rush students. Or that they'd at least give us each others' e-mail addresses or something.

So yeah. I'm excited about starting med school. And also, scared ****less.

Good luck in starting medical school! are you going to live on campus at center court gardens? If you've seen it, whats its like? any idea?

David

Rachel Kwon said:
Hi,

Just thought I'd poke my head in here and say hello. I'm Rachel and I'm starting at Rush this fall. I'm a child of the Chicago suburbs (my family lives in Glencoe right now, but I grew up in Schaumburg and thereabouts). I like cheese.

I wish Rush had an official blog or listserv or messageboard for incoming Rush students. Or that they'd at least give us each others' e-mail addresses or something.

So yeah. I'm excited about starting med school. And also, scared ****less.

hamlet423 said:
Good luck in starting medical school! are you going to live on campus at center court gardens? If you've seen it, whats its like? any idea?

David

I'm living off campus, but I was walking around the area the other day and saw Center Court from the outside. It looked decent. Obviously the location is the big plus there. I'd echo the sentiment of the poster upthread who said something to the effect of they prefer to leave work at work (or school at school I guess, whatevs), though.

Oh, and if any girls (or gay guys) are looking for a roommate, send me a message. I don't want to live by myself...

Hi guys--

I'm going to live in Center Court Gardens this year, and I was wondering if anyone knew how big the windows were...

dotche73 said:
Hi guys--

I'm going to live in Center Court Gardens this year, and I was wondering if anyone knew how big the windows were...
hey, i'll be going to down to rush sometime this week to check out my apartment and get measurements and stuff. anyone else planning on seeing their actual apartment?

trapperjohn said:
hey, i'll be going to down to rush sometime this week to check out my apartment and get measurements and stuff. anyone else planning on seeing their actual apartment?

I'm gonna move in without ever seeing the place...I actually never even got a chance to see Center Court complex :p

Random question, but does anyone know if the apartments have dishwashers????

Also, is it one big apt building or a buncha buildings next to one another? Ooh....maybe you can take pics of the building and post them online...just a thought :D

Lastly, just outta curiousity when is everyone moving into their place? And for those of you whose families are visiting for white coat ceremony, are your families staying with you or at hotels?

anyway, can't wait to meet you all!

Saraeee said:
I'm gonna move in without ever seeing the place...I actually never even got a chance to see Center Court complex :p

Random question, but does anyone know if the apartments have dishwashers????Only the two bedroom apartments have dishwashers, the studios and 1BRs do not

Also, is it one big apt building or a buncha buildings next to one another? It is a bunch of buildings next to each other in a "court" Each building has 3 floors, with 3 apartments per floor Ooh....maybe you can take pics of the building and post them online...just a thought :D

Lastly, just outta curiousity when is everyone moving into their place? You'll have to ask your future classmates :) And for those of you whose families are visiting for white coat ceremony, are your families staying with you or at hotels?

anyway, can't wait to meet you all!
ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR SUMMER!!!

red dot said:
hey i'm from california as well! whereabouts?

Sorry I took so long to reply - San Diego. Where in CA are you?

I have another dumb question about the Center Court apartments. Do they come with blinds or some sort of other window coverings? Thanks in advance!

Whootman said:
I have another dumb question about the Center Court apartments. Do they come with blinds or some sort of other window coverings? Thanks in advance!

I have no idea, but I have a question that's probably dumber. Do we need to get cable in order to watch TV, or are basic channels viewable? And for anyone who knows, what type of internet service are we supposed to sign up for? Is it comcast only? cuz it's pretty expensive, imho.

Whootman said:
they do come with blinds...and if i remember the other question, you need to buy cable/DSL. be stingy with comcast, you can probably get a good deal