"rules" for away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious about scheduling my away rotation. I'm not really set on going any place in particular (just avioding Florida due to the heat), but many places are "first come frist served" SOOO...can i apply to a few and which ever one gets back to me first I pick? or is that wrong? thanks for the help!
streetdoc
also taking nominations of places to go to!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as reccommendations go I would have to say that Univ. of Maryland has a great EM rotation.

Interesting patients...everyone loves to teach...the lectures are great and they have lots of skills labs (US, Airway, and Cadaver Lab)

Only drawback is that they require very hefty malpractice coverage ($1,000,000 per incident/$3,000,000 aggregate). If your schools malpractice coverage covers this that's great but I was from Texas and we don't need that much here (yea for liability reform! :D ) so I was on my own to find a policy to cover the difference. This can get very expensive (~$1,500) and if anyone needs help finding it let me know, because, unfortunately, the student affairs office at UMD is not at all helpful in pointing you to an insurer. But from what I understand there are lots of schools that do provide this much insurance to their students so usually it is not a problem.

napoleanna said:
As far as reccommendations go I would have to say that Univ. of Maryland has a great EM rotation.

Interesting patients...everyone loves to teach...the lectures are great and they have lots of skills labs (US, Airway, and Cadaver Lab)

Only drawback is that they require very hefty malpractice coverage ($1,000,000 per incident/$3,000,000 aggregate). If your schools malpractice coverage covers this that's great but I was from Texas and we don't need that much here (yea for liability reform! :D ) so I was on my own to find a policy to cover the difference. This can get very expensive (~$1,500) and if anyone needs help finding it let me know, because, unfortunately, the student affairs office at UMD is not at all helpful in pointing you to an insurer. But from what I understand there are lots of schools that do provide this much insurance to their students so usually it is not a problem.

Napoleanna;

Actually, I was under the impression it had nothing to do with liability reform and the Tx legislature set the student limits so low to make the students a lesser target - if a student has 1mil/3mil limits, a lawyer is more likely to continue to keep them on a lawsuit in order to be able to tap into that $$$... at least that's what our school told us when we all complained about not being able to do any out of state rotations. They said this is an issue every year.

correct me if I'm wrong..

jd

Members don't see this ad :)
streetdoc said:
Just curious about scheduling my away rotation. I'm not really set on going any place in particular (just avioding Florida due to the heat), but many places are "first come frist served" SOOO...can i apply to a few and which ever one gets back to me first I pick? or is that wrong? thanks for the help!
streetdoc

My school only lets us apply to 2 during the same time period. I would also recommend calling ahead and seeing if they can "pencil" you in. Generally from what I hear Cali fills up super quick... hope this helps..

streetdoc said:
streetdoc

My school only lets us apply to 2 during the same time period. I would also recommend calling ahead and seeing if they can "pencil" you in. Generally from what I hear Cali fills up super quick... hope this helps..

Kalamazoo, MI is a great place to do an away rotation. I've known 4-5 people who've gone there, and everyone said it was wonderful. Have heard mixed reviews about Carolinas.

when should us current MSIIIs get on it to start scheduling away rotations for EM?

lattimer13 said:
when should us current MSIIIs get on it to start scheduling away rotations for EM?

It depends when you want to do your rotation. You should plan at least 3-6 months in advance.

For my September away rotation I started inquiring in May, and had all the plans finalized by early July.

I recommend doing the George Washington University wound management elective at some point. It's super chill, you learn a tremendous amount, and you get to do a lot of minor fun procedures. DC is a great city to visit for a month - definitely take advantage of all it has to offer if you go there.

As far as the Florida heat... I totally agree. I can't tell you how many interviewers (especially in Boston and Chicago) thought I was crazy for not wanting to move back to Florida. The thought of existing down there again in July, August, and September makes even the third area of the ninth circle of hell (the one where their tears freeze over, denying them even the comfort of crying) seem like paradise.

napoleanna said:

WOW, that is a lot of money for 4 weeks...we don't have that much on us.
thanks for the recs, keep them coming as i'm looking into themas you guys suggest them.
THANKS!
streetdoc

plank said:
I recommend doing the George Washington University wound management elective at some point. It's super chill, you learn a tremendous amount, and you get to do a lot of minor fun procedures. DC is a great city to visit for a month - definitely take advantage of all it has to offer if you go there.

As far as the Florida heat... I totally agree. I can't tell you how many interviewers (especially in Boston and Chicago) thought I was crazy for not wanting to move back to Florida. The thought of existing down there again in July, August, and September makes even the third area of the ninth circle of hell (the one where their tears freeze over, denying them even the comfort of crying) seem like paradise.

Florida may be hot but let me know your feelings about being in Chicago when it is like 6 degrees and windy.. You will be dreaming for the warmth they have in FL. BTW this winter has been extremely mild.

The other thing you might want to consider as an "extra" EM thing is the UC-Irvine Ultrasound elective. I didnt do it but I heard great things.

EctopicFetus said:
Florida may be hot but let me know your feelings about being in Chicago when it is like 6 degrees and windy.. You will be dreaming for the warmth they have in FL. BTW this winter has been extremely mild.

I've lived up north for 8 years, although I do hear Chicago has its own "special" kind of winter. Jesus, what am I getting myself into?