RowanSOM vs PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemicallycozy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Grateful to have both so far but need help deciding. I already have a hunch that Rowan is better for me, but would like some advice.

Rowan
- IS tuition (NJ Resident, ~41K a year)
- Research heavy (especially in neuroscience) which is a must for me, they have a combined DO/PhD program so I know they at least have a handle on research
- P/F
- also decent match

PCOM
- OOS tuition (~55K a year)
- Graded curriculum (is this a pro or a con now, given that Step 1 is P/F?)
- being in Philly would be sick
- decent match, seems to have more connections to competitive specialties though?
- seems to have decent research as well

I feel like Rowan is the obvious choice, but I don't want to make a blind decision just based on cost. No one in my family is really versed in anything medicine related, have no friends in the field either. Advice is v appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rowan, both it and PCOM are very established DO schools. You should follow the money.

P/F is still a plus. Supposedly Step 2 will just replace Step 1’s importance.

Reactions: 1 user
Rowan over PCOM for cost and P/F classes. With Step 1 being P/F now most of the shift will most likely just go to Step 2, but it wouldn't hurt to also just be able to have a huge CV full of research and volunteering. As someone at a DO school that has grades I can say that it is super annoying to have to spend the extra couple hours studying useless info when I know I could easily get a B without it. At the end of the day grades don't matter, they just hurt those with low class rank at DO schools.

sounds like ur leaning towards rowan. a neurosurgeon i shadowed graduated from rowansom although at least 20-25 years ago

Members don't see this ad :)
What have you decided? My cousin is currently deciding between these two programs.
Rowan! IS tuition, similar match list stats (don't have a list from this Friday but from what I saw, a lot of academic institutions- NJMS, NYU, UMaryland, Einstein, etc), good research, and the students I've been talking to generally seem to like where they go.