Rowan MBS vs Rutgers MBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeQuackittyQuack

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I completed my undergrad in 2014 & after graduating became interested in pursuing medical school. I have a low undergrad GPA (3.0) and an even lower science GPA (this I'm not positive of the actual final number as I don't believe I have been able to calculate it accurately but it is between the 2.4-2.8 range). I have plenty of shadowing and clinical hours under my belt and am currently just focusing on the academic portion of my portfolio. My plan is to take a master's program and hopefully do extremely well there to help open some possible doors for me. I took several undergrad classes in summer and fall of 2018 to refresh myself and bolster my transcript/applications and did very well. I have no yet taken the MCAT.

I applied to 3 biomedical sciences master's programs for Fall 2019 (Rutgers Newark, Rutgers New Brunswick, and Rowan). I am a NJ resident so all the programs would be instate tuition. I haven't heard from all of the programs but I have been accepted into the Rutgers Newark MBS so far. I was wondering if anyone could speak on the behalf of these programs or lend an opinion as to which program may be the best/strongest program to attend for someone in my position, as well as maybe possible pros & cons of each program.

I am considering aspects like location/living expenses, transportation (public transport, walk to class, etc), program curriculum/strength, and associations with schools (if there is another aspect that you'd like to add, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts!)

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely emphasize looking at association with schools/program success rates. What % of their grads are successful in getting a medical school acceptance after the program? Even after this program, your sGPA will still be below 3.0 and risk getting screened out at certain schools. Can the school speak to any who have been in a similar situation as you and how successful they were after the program?

Hello all!

I completed my undergrad in 2014 & after graduating became interested in pursuing medical school. I have a low undergrad GPA (3.0) and an even lower science GPA (this I'm not positive of the actual final number as I don't believe I have been able to calculate it accurately but it is between the 2.4-2.8 range). I have plenty of shadowing and clinical hours under my belt and am currently just focusing on the academic portion of my portfolio. My plan is to take a master's program and hopefully do extremely well there to help open some possible doors for me. I took several undergrad classes in summer and fall of 2018 to refresh myself and bolster my transcript/applications and did very well. I have no yet taken the MCAT.

I applied to 3 biomedical sciences master's programs for Fall 2019 (Rutgers Newark, Rutgers New Brunswick, and Rowan). I am a NJ resident so all the programs would be instate tuition. I haven't heard from all of the programs but I have been accepted into the Rutgers Newark MBS so far. I was wondering if anyone could speak on the behalf of these programs or lend an opinion as to which program may be the best/strongest program to attend for someone in my position, as well as maybe possible pros & cons of each program.

I am considering aspects like location/living expenses, transportation (public transport, walk to class, etc), program curriculum/strength, and associations with schools (if there is another aspect that you'd like to add, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts!)
Hi! Congrats on your acceptance. I also applied to Rutgers MBS. I was wondering when did you apply and when did you receive your acceptance? Did they send you an email or did you check your portal to find out you got accepted? Thanks so much!