ROTC Educational Delay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldbuff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although there are a couple of threads similar to my question there aren't any that directly address my issue so I'm going to go ahead and ask this.

I am a current freshman pre-dental student and am considering joining ROTC. My question is whether I can follow the plan listed below:

1. Join ROTC
2. Request Educational Delay
3. Go to dental school on my dime.
4. Request civilian residency
5. Once schooling is completed join a combat branch of the army

I think where I differ from other dental students is that I DO NOT want to practice in the army, however I do want to join active duty under a combat related branch. I've spoken with my pre-professional adviser and she said that waiting 4-8 years in between undergrad and dental school would not be advisable.
Basically I want to join a combat branch of the military but also want to participate in ROTC in college as I think it will provide a structure to my college experience that would keep me on track and in line with my goals. I have been told by army personnel that it is not possible to go to dental school on educational delay because it is designed for two year graduate studies. Contradicting that statement are numerous people on this forum and others. If anyone has experienced this specific path or knows how this path would work please help.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Also one other path that I would like to do is join rotc go directly to active duty then go back to dental school. Does anyone have experience with this or no.

Although there are a couple of threads similar to my question there aren't any that directly address my issue so I'm going to go ahead and ask this.

I am a current freshman pre-dental student and am considering joining ROTC. My question is whether I can follow the plan listed below:

1. Join ROTC
2. Request Educational Delay
3. Go to dental school on my dime.
4. Request civilian residency
5. Once schooling is completed join a combat branch of the army

I think where I differ from other dental students is that I DO NOT want to practice in the army, however I do want to join active duty under a combat related branch. I've spoken with my pre-professional adviser and she said that waiting 4-8 years in between undergrad and dental school would not be advisable.
Basically I want to join a combat branch of the military but also want to participate in ROTC in college as I think it will provide a structure to my college experience that would keep me on track and in line with my goals. I have been told by army personnel that it is not possible to go to dental school on educational delay because it is designed for two year graduate studies. Contradicting that statement are numerous people on this forum and others. If anyone has experienced this specific path or knows how this path would work please help.
Thanks
Educational delay for dental school is only possible when it benefits the military. If you do ROTC and do HPSP, they will grant you a delay. If you do ROTC and try to do dental school on your own, they will not let you camp out for 6+ yrs (dental school + specialty) and then take you on active duty.

If you go to dental school on your own and then come on active duty as a non-dentist, you will be a very bad dentist for many years when you do try to get your skills back and get spun up. It would not be fair for your patients.

I have known people that have done what you asked in your second thread (ROTC--AD--dental school) and they have succeeded. Understand that by the time you follow that route, you will be quite a bit older than many of your peers, and if you have a family at that point you will be taking them from a standard of living they are used to (Active Duty Pay) to a very lean existance for 4 years (students living on loans).

Having been on Active duty now for 11 years as a dental officer and as an enlisted Soldier in the Guard for 3 years before dental school...my personal opinion is that you have to choose one dream or the other. I do not see the scenarios that you are considering as very likely outcomes. My personal belief is that you will begin with either one or the other (combat arms or dental school), and find it difficult to transition back...or be unable to transition.

You stated you do not want to be a dentist in the Army...we have dentists assigned to special forces as well as combat units. If you think there is even a remote chance you will be a dentist on active duty, then I would avoid doing ROTC. You will end up owing the Army 8-10 yrs if they also pay for dental school. There's nothing wrong with being in the Army that long, but that means you can't start taking any type of bonus pay for 8-10 yrs and thus will be behind the power curve.

My recommendation is to pick one career or the other and stick with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well seeing as most people suggest that what I had first stated would be inadvisable. As far as being much older, how so. National stats say that the average dental student is 25. If I go right after college, add in maybe 6 months of training and 4 years of service that only puts me at 27 max. I guess the one of the main things that I am concerned with doing army dentistry is not being able to choose where I practice. Now, I realize that in inf. I wouldnt get to choose my post either but to me its a little different being stationed somewhere as an infantry officer versus a dental officer. For example I wouldnt complain if they put me in Germany, but if they stuck me in Walter Reed then I don't think I would like it. Im interested to hear on post placement with dental officers.

Well seeing as most people suggest that what I had first stated would be inadvisable. As far as being much older, how so. National stats say that the average dental student is 25. If I go right after college, add in maybe 6 months of training and 4 years of service that only puts me at 27 max. I guess the one of the main things that I am concerned with doing army dentistry is not being able to choose where I practice. Now, I realize that in inf. I wouldnt get to choose my post either but to me its a little different being stationed somewhere as an infantry officer versus a dental officer. For example I wouldnt complain if they put me in Germany, but if they stuck me in Walter Reed then I don't think I would like it. Im interested to hear on post placement with dental officers.
Post placement is the same in the Dental Corps as the infantry. When it is time to move they give you a list of some availabilities where they need to fill, and you choose one. Unfortunately you can't tell them where you want to go and they find you a place.

From what you said it seems like you actually have a choice. If so that makes dentistry look more promising.