ROSS VS. AUC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmm415

Reaction score
Hello peeps,

I would like to start a discussion regarding Ross Vs. AUC. There are plenty of old postings, but Im trying to use new information to come to a decision as to which of these schools I should attend in 2019. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

From what my friends in Ross have relayed to me, don’t go. Can’t really say anything on AUC

Ross has changed a lot recently. Of course they only just started up in their new campus now (as of January 2019) and a lot of things need to be done for everyone to settle in completely. A lot of the old faculty have left and been replaced. However the facilities are nice, the classrooms are big and they videotape every lecture for you to watch at your convenience. It has less of a hurricane threat, in that it has no hurricane threat. Barbados doesn't get hurricanes.

AUC is a very nice campus and the housing around the area is great. You have a lot quicker commute (1-2 minute walk) to classes and everything you want is in a small area; you have your grocery store right there and an amazing beach and the apartment buildings and the bar are all right there. The accommodation and amenities on Barbados are much more farther out and it may take you a while to get in and you less choice, plus there are still problems with accommodation there. Basically except for the very nice beach, St Maarten's campus lends itself more to concentrated studying, because everything you need is right there near campus.

St Maarten is now livable two years after the hurricanes. There are no real issues left, except for the threat of another one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank-you, that was exactly my point. Illustrated beautifully. Aside from Allen making landfall in 1980 (39 years ago), every single one has missed. And this is almost always the case with Barbados.

Incidentally, by just presenting a link with no comment that says "list of Barbados hurricanes", you are implying something other than what is shown inside your link. It seems you are being snarky and contrarian, but I may be wrong. It certainly wasn't a sincere attempt at imparting knowledge. Your list includes hurricanes that passed by but weren't felt on Barbados, as well as tropical storms that later became hurricanes when they were well past Barbados, so the title is exceptionally misleading. This is a forum for people interested in the medical sciences so we can be a little more stringent with the sources and the way we present data, can we not?

It's not a controversial point. Barbados lies in an area that is not even the Caribbean sea technically, and they don't tend to get hurricanes. St Maarten, in contrast, gets them much more often.

However, having survived three Caribbean hurricanes myself, I am not necessarily saying it's a problem enough to scare anyone off St Maarten, but I was here in the Caribbean when Irma hit and St Maarten suffered a lot. We all still feel the fear. In speaking with Ross faculty, who themselves were seriously traumatized by Maria (which they experienced on Dominica), the fact that they now live on an island that almost never gets hurricanes IS i huge deal for them. If you did not live through Irma and Maria you may not understand why this is an important point of consideration in some people's eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user