This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChicagoPreMedStudent

Reaction score
So I decided on an Undergrad. The undergrad I choose has a 7 year program but you have to decide in your FIRST SEMESTER OF YOUR FIRST YEAR. (First of all why)

The medical school is a separate school from my undergrad but they are affiliated. (I am attending DePaul University for undergrad and they are affiliated with Rosalind Franklin University or Chicago Medical School.)

Originally, there was no way in hell that I was going to attend the medical school that the university is affiliated with because it had accreditation issues. However, I learned today that the issues were surrounding a physical - building issue (or at least that is what I was told by the university). I can’t remember exactly what it was but it was kind of stupid - like their wasn’t enough square footage in the cadaver lab. (Originally I thought it was because of the way they treated their students but it is not - again according to the university)

FOR CLARIFICATION THEY ARE ACCREDITED NOW BUT THEY WERE NOT BACK 10 OR SO YEARS AGO

I was also under the impression that the accreditation has hurt their reputation with hospitals, but they have had a 99% match rate for the past few years. I also checked their match list and people have matched out to Northwestern, UChicago, etc etc

The personal conflict I’m having right now is that when you sign the agreement you are basically applying ED. You can’t apply to other schools are you are bound to that. I also believe that for the 7 year program you are not offered any financial aid from the school. (My undergrad will offer me scholarship, but the med school would not).

However, you know. I would be guaranteed a spot in the program/med school. You also don’t have to take the MCAT. Which obviously has its benefits.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

TL;DR: is it worth going to a med school where you have NO financial aid (if you have the chance of getting aid else where) if you don’t have to take the MCAT and you can finish in 7 years instead of 8?

Any personal opinions about the school would also be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Rosalind Franklin supposedly has some "racist faculty" according to reddit, not sure how true the rumor is. That said, they do have one of the best podiatry programs, lol.

Do you have to maintain a certain GPA?
I also don't think it's worth it to rush your undergrad years. You'll have some very fun times, and make some lifelong friends. My mom rushed her undergrad in 3 years, and she still regrets it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder why DePaul would hookup with RFU?
I think you have to decide so early is because the program is 7 years and you have to apply(maybe?) and all of that takes time.
Do some searching on here for BS/MD Programs and see what other people think of the whole concept.
If you do very well at De Paul and want to apply to other schools do you loose your seat at RFU?
De Paul is in a very fun and thriving area. RFU isn’t. If any of that matters.
You might not be eligible for financial aid at RFU, but you will be eligible for student loans, just like 90%+ of your classmates.

So I decided on an Undergrad. The undergrad I choose has a 7 year program but you have to decide in your FIRST SEMESTER OF YOUR FIRST YEAR. (First of all why)

The medical school is a separate school from my undergrad but they are affiliated. (I am attending DePaul University for undergrad and they are affiliated with Rosalind Franklin University or Chicago Medical School.)

Originally, there was no way in hell that I was going to attend the medical school that the university is affiliated with because it had accreditation issues. However, I learned today that the issues were surrounding a physical - building issue (or at least that is what I was told by the university). I can’t remember exactly what it was but it was kind of stupid - like their wasn’t enough square footage in the cadaver lab. (Originally I thought it was because of the way they treated their students but it is not - again according to the university)

FOR CLARIFICATION THEY ARE ACCREDITED NOW BUT THEY WERE NOT BACK 10 OR SO YEARS AGO

I was also under the impression that the accreditation has hurt their reputation with hospitals, but they have had a 99% match rate for the past few years. I also checked their match list and people have matched out to Northwestern, UChicago, etc etc

The personal conflict I’m having right now is that when you sign the agreement you are basically applying ED. You can’t apply to other schools are you are bound to that. I also believe that for the 7 year program you are not offered any financial aid from the school. (My undergrad will offer me scholarship, but the med school would not).

However, you know. I would be guaranteed a spot in the program/med school. You also don’t have to take the MCAT. Which obviously has its benefits.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

TL;DR: is it worth going to a med school where you have NO financial aid (if you have the chance of getting aid else where) if you don’t have to take the MCAT and you can finish in 7 years instead of 8?

Any personal opinions about the school would also be appreciated
I know that "accreditation issues" is a scary term to the uninformed, but it's usually due tot he school not keeping records of what they're supposed to keep, and other minor stuff.

And you're afraid of them for something that happened ten years ago? Please, stop. Just stop that.

Yes, it's worth it.

Reactions: 3 users