ULSOM (Louisbille) versus RFU (Rosalind Franklin University)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emmiie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
ULSOM

Pros
  • Connections to research labs and mentors (faculty & PI)
  • Good match rate for variety of specialties of interest
  • Affiliated hospital with its own residency programs
Cons
  • Older clinical sites and research labs
  • Not P/F grading
RFU
Pros
  • Multiple training sites around Chicago Area
  • Also seems to have a pretty good match rate for a variety of specialties
  • Students are not ranked
Cons
  • No affiliated hospital

Summary: Location and Lifestyle, I can see myself in either place but I do want to specialize in a more procedural specialty and want to maximize my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

RFU student here, but I regret not applying ULSOM so I get the vibe. The hospital deal is problematic for research at RFU, but tbh not as much for rotations since the dozen+ affiliated hospitals we have are very good. I'd say if you wanted a competitive specialty like ortho, neurosurgery, plastics, or derm, ULSOM because of the in-house residencies and research. But if not, RFU could be just as good if not better depending on your situation. Who has the lower COA? What are some personal things you value more? The majority of Louisville grads match in the midwest, so if they west or east coast is of interest, that is where RFU can be advantageous.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the insight. Because I am not a Kentucky resident, COA is going to basically the same for both schools. As for specialty, I am currently more interested in the mid-tier competitive specialties like general surgery, OBGYN, Interventional Cards, ENT (not the top-tier competitive specialties). I guess I am curious as to your thoughts on which school will give me a greater advantage into placing into one of those programs. Lousiville which has its own residency programs or RFU, which is located in Chicago (which has a ton of programs). Number-wise, I believe Chicago has more spots than Louisville, but another consideration factor is that there are multiple medical schools located in the Chicago area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the insight. Because I am not a Kentucky resident, COA is going to basically the same for both schools. As for specialty, I am currently more interested in the mid-tier competitive specialties like general surgery, OBGYN, Interventional Cards, ENT (not the top-tier competitive specialties). I guess I am curious as to your thoughts on which school will give me a greater advantage into placing into one of those programs. Lousiville which has its own residency programs or RFU, which is located in Chicago (which has a ton of programs). Number-wise, I believe Chicago has more spots than Louisville, but another consideration factor is that there are multiple medical schools located in the Chicago area.
And I think something else to keep in mind is that in the recent match data, Louisville sent a bunch of people to Chicago anyhow. So I don't think the Chicago location of RFU is advantageous beyond research and early clinical exposure. But for what you're asking, RFU has sent a bunch of people to some respectable programs in recent years so I don't think it's too hard. ENT might be the exception- seems to be inconsistent through the years, but it is what you make of it. It is hard to beat the fact that Louisville has the in-house programs. Essentially, it's a super close call, but I'd side with Louisville in your case UNLESS the need for P/F is super important OR if living in Chicago for clinical years is big OR if you have an aversion to living in Louisville. But I really want to stress it's a close call that could go either way.

If you want ENT, you should ideally go somewhere with a home program. It is more competitive than what you are classifying it as.

Reactions: 1 user