Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2010/2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thats exactly what happened to me and i just got my letter of rejection yesterday. hopefully you will have better luck than me!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to here about the rejection...

But for those of you that have been asking:

They finally let in the 1st round of BMSers today, myself included. So far it's a little early to tell, and most people are trying there best to keep acceptances dl so kids that have been put on hold dont get too stressed, but it seems as though everyone who got an A in Physio was accepted today, which was around 30 of us.

So despite all that garbage from last sumemr posted on the RFUMS BMS 2009 thread about this program not rewarding hard work, and as a person who was seriously concerned when reading it before starting my BMS year, i can say with confidence that if you work hard in this program and do well (get A's and B's) you are virtually garunteed acceptance. Check my previous posts from last year and you'll see exactly what im talking about.

But nonetheless, I have busted my ass this year and "beasted". Yet by no means do you need to get all A's to gain acceptance. I know for a fact that CMS is not done accepting BMSers. The school wants to take eveyone with a 3.0 and above, just some years (like mine) BMS students kill it and not all 3.0 students will have a spot. Im sure plenty of my fellow students who did not get an A in physio will be accepted next month.

Also, for those of you currently awaitng responses for BMS 2010-2011, i spoke to Dr. Pullen earliar this week and he said that only 30-40 spots have been filled. Therefore there are roughly 60 spaces still open. Now i have to go study neuro, haha.

They finally let in the 1st round of BMSers today, myself included. So far it's a little early to tell, and most people are trying there best to keep acceptances dl so kids that have been put on hold dont get too stressed, but it seems as though everyone who got an A in Physio was accepted today, which was around 30 of us.

So despite all that garbage from last sumemr posted on the RFUMS BMS 2009 thread about this program not rewarding hard work, and as a person who was seriously concerned when reading it before starting my BMS year, i can say with confidence that if you work hard in this program and do well (get A's and B's) you are virtually garunteed acceptance. Check my previous posts from last year and you'll see exactly what im talking about.

But nonetheless, I have busted my ass this year and "beasted". Yet by no means do you need to get all A's to gain acceptance. I know for a fact that CMS is not done accepting BMSers. The school wants to take eveyone with a 3.0 and above, just some years (like mine) BMS students kill it and not all 3.0 students will have a spot. Im sure plenty of my fellow students who did not get an A in physio will be accepted next month.

Also, for those of you currently awaitng responses for BMS 2010-2011, i spoke to Dr. Pullen earliar this week and he said that only 30-40 spots have been filled. Therefore there are roughly 60 spaces still open. Now i have to go study neuro, haha.

I just found out about this program and it sounds tough but ultimately very rewarding. Anyone, know what the average stats accepted into this program look like?

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats DrBO!

I'm also a BMS student who got accepted today! :) I agree with you that if you work hard and get mostly As and even some Bs (and also have a decent interview), you should be rewarded with an acceptance to CMS.

I haven't posted much on here, but i'd be happy to answer any questions about the program for anyone starting in the fall or is unsure about it.

Congrats DrBO and theChamp! I also got the acceptance today. I think DrBO is right, people who got A's in physio got the green light. I know one person who got at least one B (not in physio) and got accepted this round as well. Overall, the program is very manageable, if you are good about reviewing material every day and dont fall behind, and most importnatly it does not have to be stressful. For example, I even had time to work part time most of the year. Also, make sure you take one of the easier certification tracks. I'm in HCAM and have found it to be pretty easy. I heard that nutrition is the worst and requires an enormous amount of time. Anyway, feel free to ping me if you have any questions as well.

Congrats DrBO!

I'm also a BMS student who got accepted today! :) I agree with you that if you work hard and get mostly As and even some Bs (and also have a decent interview), you should be rewarded with an acceptance to CMS.

I haven't posted much on here, but i'd be happy to answer any questions about the program for anyone starting in the fall or is unsure about it.

"I applied to the BMS program about 3-4 weeks ago, I called them yesterday and she told me that the decision has been made, and you should receive it in a mail within couple of days. She however, refused to tell me the decision over the phone, does this mean I got rejected???
How come they didn't email me in regard to the decision?
help help!!! I cannot wait couple of days!!!"

I'm in the same boat as you. Applied late March, and spoke with Melissa several times. After applying to medical schools this cycle and getting rejected/put on wait-lists, I feel like I'm gaining a 6th sense on these kind of things. I don't want to pessimistic, but it sounds like I might be receiving a thin, one-paged letter from Rosalind within the next few days.

Hi all, I'm another current BMSer that was accepted today. It's a great feeling and after Monday's neuro exam, I'll be happy to help answer questions regarding the program. :laugh:

I'm in the same boat as you. Applied late March, and spoke with Melissa several times. After applying to medical schools this cycle and getting rejected/put on wait-lists, I feel like I'm gaining a 6th sense on these kind of things. I don't want to pessimistic, but it sounds like I might be receiving a thin, one-paged letter from Rosalind within the next few days.

Hey I applied in January and the same thing happened to me.. they wouldn't tell me over the phone and no e-mail was sent ....

I still ended up getting accepted about 3-5 weeks after. I wasn't home to receive the letter as I was out of town in college but the acceptance letter was a very small envelope I believe with the information package mailed after - correct me if i'm wrong other forum members..

Thanks for the congrats everyone! And congratulations to you future BMSers with acceptances and also my fellow future M1a's. :D There's seems to be an overwhelming sense of support to anyone with any questions, I know SDN helped a lot of us find this program, and we are all here to help continue the tradition, so ask away!

For current BMS students...

How much importance is given to MCAT scores when you applied to CMS through the program? What is a good average MCAT score for a BMS student applying to CMS?

One more question. I got offered on-campus housing (2 bedroom apartment + roommate). Do you guys think its worth taking? Is it nice? Do you think I will be placed with another BMS student or a CMS student?

I'm sure I'll meet a few of you guys this upcoming term when I start my BMS year.

Good luck with the rest of your year and congratulation.

Thanks

so what do you guys do next year?

How many classes do you take, and what will you do with all the free time?

Members don't see this ad :)
so what do you guys do next year?

How many classes do you take, and what will you do with all the free time?

Well next year they will be M1s. So they take the rest of the M1 classes minus the classes they took as a BMS student.

Last edited:
Applied to the BMS program in early April, and I was just accepted today with a 3.19 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA, and 30 O MCAT. Good luck to everyone waiting.

Applied to the BMS program in early April, and I was just accepted today with a 3.19 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA, and 30 O MCAT. Good luck to everyone waiting.

Congrats to you DearScience!!!

does anyone know how heavily they weight mcat scores?

my gpa seems to be on par with admitted students but my mcat is not...

i'm getting kinda worried, not really sure what I'm gonna do next year if I don't get in

Okay.... So I received my acceptance letter today ...
I'll finish with my finals tomorrow, and will go visit the campus most likely on Wednesday or Thursday.
As for your question, I think they look at the whole picture. My GPA was pretty good > 3.80 something. My MCAT score wasn't so great mostly due to the verbal score.
they also like to see that you actually have done things like volunteer, etc.
again, this is a master program, and NOT medical school, so you shouldn't worry too much about acceptance.
I would say if you're GPA is above 3.5 in science, and 21-22 MCAT above you should be fine.

does anyone know how heavily they weight mcat scores?

my gpa seems to be on par with admitted students but my mcat is not...

i'm getting kinda worried, not really sure what I'm gonna do next year if I don't get in

I would say if you're GPA is above 3.5 in science, and 21-22 MCAT above you should be fine.

Common sense tells me that aiming for an MCAT of 21-22 is way too low.

On their website they had stats of the entering meds class of 2006 or 2007. (that's the latest year they have up there) and the average scores for each section was 9-10 for a combined score of around 30. I would aim for that score rather than a measly 21-22, but heck you should always be aiming for the best score you can possibly get....

Wow! I finally heard back from RF today (accepted) and my application has been under review since February 25th... so if anyone has been waiting for a long time, don't worry too much...

Now I'm really trying to decide between Drexel IMS, Loyola MAMS, and RF BMS...

if RF weren't that expensive, I think the decision would be a no brainer, but I really don't know if the money's worth it... I think I'm still be leaning toward RF, so I might be seeing some of you next year :D

good luck to everyone still waiting

Avg accepted BMS students have all kinds of gpas and mcats, high/low and in the middle. I'd say for those with subpar stats, good research and extra curriculars will made up for it. I even know a BMS student that has great stats and then no research.

Once you are a BMS student YOUR UGRAD GPA AND MCAT MEAN VERY VERY LITTLE. All that matters is your GPA in the medical school classes. The avg stats for a non-BMS M1 student is around 3.7gpa and 30 mcat. BMS students are techniquely not M1s and therefore im pretty sure our undergrad stats are not factored in to that published avg.

Ok all, this is my two-cents worth regarding our BMS program. I know I asked these questions before I started!

Why RFUMS over other programs?

1. You take half of your first year med school courses. This is, by far, the biggest aspect of your application to CMS. MCATs, Undergrad grades, interviews, and research are what admissions committees have to gauge how well you’ll do in med school. My undergrad grades did not reflect my abilities because I was not committed or focused in undergrad. Once you are here, your grades in medical molecular/cellular biology, biochemistry, physiology and neuroscience show exactly what you are capable of.

2. Once you are in CMS as an M1a, your first year is half the course load. This gives you time to do research and be a TA, both of which strengthen your application for residency. So although your application to med school was weak, your residency application can be very strong.

3. RFUMS courses are integrated. This means that when you are on a particular topic, you will learn the biology, biochemistry and physiology of that topic. I like that because it provides a more complete, applicable picture of what’s going on. When you are studying for the exams, it is more cohesive. There are drawbacks to this, see “limitations”.

4. We are tested every two weeks as opposed to a mid-term and final. The benefit to this is you can screw up a test and make up for it. I like that…a lot. The downside is that there is no room for falling behind. This also increases your stress. There is very little time to relax because you take an exam and have to get right back at it. Given a choice, I’ll take the extra stress over mid-term and finals. I would, however, make the exams on Monday afternoon rather than the current 7:45 am exams we take….Uffdah!

5. I can’t speak for the other programs but the atmosphere here is great. You are in competition with yourself far more than with anyone else. You don’t need to worry about how anyone else did if you get your own A. I have had nothing but encouraging interactions between both BMS and med students and professors are accessible.

6. This program is one year and there is no gap year for entering CMS.

Some limitations of this program:

The integrated schedule means that some of the courses go throughout the year and so you will not get grades until towards the end of the year. If you are taking this program with intentions to then apply to your state school, you will most likely have to wait until the next application round. You will have a gap year. There are a few BMS students who do accepted to other med schools during their BMS year, but this is the exception. So for the majority of students, if you do not want a gap year, CMS is your only option. This doesn’t bother me because I wouldn’t go to another school anyway. I don’t want to repeat the courses I just took and I like the CMS program. It works for me but you should be aware that this program is set up to get into CMS.

2. It is very expensive.

What this program is not for:

MCAT prep. I know that some SMPs are geared towards strengthening your general application to med school. This is NOT one of those programs. Once you are here, your undergrad stats and MCAT take a back seat to your success in the program. You will not have time to study for anything but your classes. Your stats were good enough to get you into BMS. Your BMS grades will be what get you into CMS.

Who will succeed:

The people who understand what they are getting into are the ones who are most successful. How many threads on SDN are about a student that got straight A’s as an undergrad but are really struggling in med school? Go into this program with the following understanding:

You will study all day, all night, almost every day. Even then, sometimes it will feel like you know a fourth of what you should. (I’m especially feeling that now in Neuroscience!!!!) Do not think if you got A’s as an undergrad you’ll be fine. The amount of studying isn’t in respect to your intelligence, but the amount of material that you need to learn.

The stress is unrelenting. As a BMSer, you will be under constant pressure to get that A. Don’t freak if you get a B you’ll be fine, but if you’re aiming for a B and fall short, you probably won’t be successful in getting into CMS. You have no guarantee to get into med school and if you don’t, you just wasted a year of your life and thousands of dollars. You cannot let up. Accept that you are giving up a year of your life to get into med school. Go in with the attitude that this is your year from hell. Feel it, accept it and keep going. It sucks. It’s also totally worth it.

Now that I’ve given you the harsh reality, I’ll also say that you’re not alone. Everyone in your class is going through the same thing. I’ll also say that there are times when you can go out. Monday nights after exams are our Friday nights and people go out. About once a month a student will arrange for a bus to take people into the city to party. There is time to socialize….once in a while. It just can’t be something you focus on.

Where to live: Either the Woodlands or student housing. You’ll be studying all the time, go for the convenience of being near the school over anything else. (My opinion.)

I know this was long, hope it was helpful. Feel free to ask any questions.

Hey KC Shuffle, thanks so much for your feedback, I think you just pushed me to finalize my decision to attend the RF BMS program this Fall. I was debating between Loyola, RF, and Drexel, and was leaning towards RF, but now I'm convinced that it is the best choice. I'm willing to work the hardest I've ever worked this next year, and I've always had issues with procrastination, so I think the bimonthly testing will really help me keep up with the work. So thanks a lot for your two cents, but I'm warning you... if I mess up in the program, I'm coming after you! Just kidding of course :smuggrin:

Ok all, this is my two-cents worth regarding our BMS program. I know I asked these questions before I started!

Why RFUMS over other programs?

1. You take half of your first year med school courses. This is, by far, the biggest aspect of your application to CMS. MCATs, Undergrad grades, interviews, and research are what admissions committees have to gauge how well you’ll do in med school. My undergrad grades did not reflect my abilities because I was not committed or focused in undergrad. Once you are here, your grades in medical molecular/cellular biology, biochemistry, physiology and neuroscience show exactly what you are capable of.

2. Once you are in CMS as an M1a, your first year is half the course load. This gives you time to do research and be a TA, both of which strengthen your application for residency. So although your application to med school was weak, your residency application can be very strong.

3. RFUMS courses are integrated. This means that when you are on a particular topic, you will learn the biology, biochemistry and physiology of that topic. I like that because it provides a more complete, applicable picture of what’s going on. When you are studying for the exams, it is more cohesive. There are drawbacks to this, see “limitations”.

4. We are tested every two weeks as opposed to a mid-term and final. The benefit to this is you can screw up a test and make up for it. I like that…a lot. The downside is that there is no room for falling behind. This also increases your stress. There is very little time to relax because you take an exam and have to get right back at it. Given a choice, I’ll take the extra stress over mid-term and finals. I would, however, make the exams on Monday afternoon rather than the current 7:45 am exams we take….Uffdah!

5. I can’t speak for the other programs but the atmosphere here is great. You are in competition with yourself far more than with anyone else. You don’t need to worry about how anyone else did if you get your own A. I have had nothing but encouraging interactions between both BMS and med students and professors are accessible.

6. This program is one year and there is no gap year for entering CMS.

Some limitations of this program:

The integrated schedule means that some of the courses go throughout the year and so you will not get grades until towards the end of the year. If you are taking this program with intentions to then apply to your state school, you will most likely have to wait until the next application round. You will have a gap year. There are a few BMS students who do accepted to other med schools during their BMS year, but this is the exception. So for the majority of students, if you do not want a gap year, CMS is your only option. This doesn’t bother me because I wouldn’t go to another school anyway. I don’t want to repeat the courses I just took and I like the CMS program. It works for me but you should be aware that this program is set up to get into CMS.

2. It is very expensive.

What this program is not for:

MCAT prep. I know that some SMPs are geared towards strengthening your general application to med school. This is NOT one of those programs. Once you are here, your undergrad stats and MCAT take a back seat to your success in the program. You will not have time to study for anything but your classes. Your stats were good enough to get you into BMS. Your BMS grades will be what get you into CMS.

Who will succeed:

The people who understand what they are getting into are the ones who are most successful. How many threads on SDN are about a student that got straight A’s as an undergrad but are really struggling in med school? Go into this program with the following understanding:

You will study all day, all night, almost every day. Even then, sometimes it will feel like you know a fourth of what you should. (I’m especially feeling that now in Neuroscience!!!!) Do not think if you got A’s as an undergrad you’ll be fine. The amount of studying isn’t in respect to your intelligence, but the amount of material that you need to learn.

The stress is unrelenting. As a BMSer, you will be under constant pressure to get that A. Don’t freak if you get a B you’ll be fine, but if you’re aiming for a B and fall short, you probably won’t be successful in getting into CMS. You have no guarantee to get into med school and if you don’t, you just wasted a year of your life and thousands of dollars. You cannot let up. Accept that you are giving up a year of your life to get into med school. Go in with the attitude that this is your year from hell. Feel it, accept it and keep going. It sucks. It’s also totally worth it.

Now that I’ve given you the harsh reality, I’ll also say that you’re not alone. Everyone in your class is going through the same thing. I’ll also say that there are times when you can go out. Monday nights after exams are our Friday nights and people go out. About once a month a student will arrange for a bus to take people into the city to party. There is time to socialize….once in a while. It just can’t be something you focus on.

Where to live: Either the Woodlands or student housing. You’ll be studying all the time, go for the convenience of being near the school over anything else. (My opinion.)

I know this was long, hope it was helpful. Feel free to ask any questions.

Just got my acceptance letter today! :D I'm sending in my deposit even though I still need to hear from Loyola MAMS and Tufts. Better safe than sorry though.

And thanks KC Shuffle, your input really helped me rank RFU much higher!

KC shuffle pretty much nailed it! that was a really good synopsis of BMS and i really wouldnt change anything written except for one thing... the socializing. Personally i went out a lot, drank plenty of fridays in the city, took many days off, and I still was accepted 1st round. Yes you have to study a lot, but more importantly you need to study WELL. Your ass is on the line, and you need to suceed or will have wasted a year and tons of $$$$. BUT, after the first few tests you will know what you are capable of and can plan your time accordingly. I just dont want people to be afraid. I mean, be a little afraid, it'll make you study better :cool:

Any BMSer looking for a roommate shoot me a msg. I am planning to more to the neighborhood on August 1st

Although the focus seems to be on guaging the success of BMSers eventually making it to CMS, what is the acceptance success rate of RFU BMS students at other medical schools? i.e. how well-respected is the RFU BMS program in terms of its evaluation by other medical schools?

Although the focus seems to be on guaging the success of BMSers eventually making it to CMS, what is the acceptance success rate of RFU BMS students at other medical schools? i.e. how well-respected is the RFU BMS program in terms of its evaluation by other medical schools?

not very, or at least that seems to be the consensus and why some people have a problem with the program...

it's apparently, CMS or bust...

I wouldn't say CMS or bust.....the problem is that you don't have the grades to show other medical schools how you did until the program is over...therefore, you have have to apply the year after the programs so you have some grades behind the program. CMS holds your app until you have the grades, clearly other schools will not do this

From all the perspectives I've read in this forum on this program it's not CMS or bust but it's relatively close to that in comparison to other allopathic SMPs of its kind. It also requires you to have a lag year if applying to other programs on top of having a relatively expensive tuition and is regarded at a lesser degree than other SMP programs such as Tufts or EVMS.

The advantage is the number being tossed around frequently is 70% of their students get accepted back into CMS. I have yet to see an allopathic program with as strong of a linkage program and that large of a class size.

Hey Guys.

For those of you that have started AMCAS...do you know if we have to list RFUMS as one of our "colleges attended"

Because that means we need to get a transcript from RFUMS and none of the courses will be complete until May...so we will be restricted from applying to other schools..

Thanks for your help.

Hey Guys.

For those of you that have started AMCAS...do you know if we have to list RFUMS as one of our "colleges attended"

Because that means we need to get a transcript from RFUMS and none of the courses will be complete until May...so we will be restricted from applying to other schools..

Thanks for your help.

On AMCAS you will list the courses you will take through the BMS program and there is an option to select that this course is not yet complete. Courses not yet completed do not require a transcript.

Also, in regards to the medical school courses: we finished molecular/cellular biology in early Nov., Biochemistry @ the end of Nov., Physiology at end of April & Neuroscience in May.

Just got waitlisted today. A bit sad, but I guess that's better than a rejection. The email said that if there are vacancies, they will put individuals from the waitlist. I wonder how they make that decision and the likelihood of getting off the waitlist. Anyone have any feedback?

Are all the seats filled up for this program?? Im sending in my application soon.

Are all the seats filled up for this program?? Im sending in my application soon.

I don't think that al of the seats are filled. I think they may have given out most, if not all, of their acceptances and are waiting for responses. I really don't know how the process works.

I don't think that al of the seats are filled. I think they may have given out most, if not all, of their acceptances and are waiting for responses. I really don't know how the process works.

I was accepted and will not be attending, once they receive this news (mailed the letter back to them), perhaps you will slide in, good luck to you.

Hey guys, I'm currently debating whether or not I should apply to the RF BMS for this fall. I'm a canadian applicant with the following stats:

cGPA is 3.91 and sGPA of 3.98.
My MCAT is 12B/9V/12P Q (2nd time taking) and going to re-write this summer.
ECs: minimal clinical volunteering, shadowed 4 doctors, 1.5years of research (including thesis project), exec positions on many clubs/counsels, other random volunteering things.

I only got one interview this year, at wayne state and am currently on the waitlist. So if I don't get off the waitlist, should I do the BMS or similar programs? Is it worth it for me? Any Canadians here that are currently in the program or going there in the fall? Any advice will be appreciated!
Also, what are the chances of a Canadian like myself getting into medical school after the BMS program? Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm currently debating whether or not I should apply to the RF BMS for this fall. I'm a canadian applicant with the following stats:

ECs: minimal clinical volunteering, shadowed 4 doctors, 1.5years of research (including thesis project), exec positions on many clubs/counsels, other random volunteering things.

I only got one interview this year, at wayne state and am currently on the waitlist. So if I don't get off the waitlist, should I do the BMS or similar programs? Is it worth it for me? Any Canadians here that are currently in the program or going there in the fall? Any advice will be appreciated!
Also, what are the chances of a Canadian like myself getting into medical school after the BMS program? Thanks!

what the heck, why do you need this program? Apply broadly and early and you could probably get in outright to some school.

I second gateswani on this one, under no circumstances should you enroll in a SMP, just apply early to Med Schools and you should be successfull... the only Master's Program I might suggest for you is Temple because it guarantees admission to the med school the following year, but even so, with your MCAT, and GPA I don't see why you can't get into plenty of US schools now... I wouldn't even retake the MCAT unless you're dead set on going to a Canadian Med School...

How many interviews did you get this year, and did you apply globally? I would call schools, and ask them why you got rejected, maybe your personal statement or letters of rec are weighing you down

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering how the classes were structured in the BMS classes. I known that some classes you take online but are the classes on campus recorded and put on some sort of blackboard type software and do professors provide powerpoint material or is it just note taking. I have had experience with both styles and have no problem with either or but I was wondering how the classes were structured in terms of materials and tools provided by professors and the school.

Hey fellow BMSers,

In the letter it says that we should ask our college to direclty send a transcript and receipt of our degree...does anyone know which adderss we send this to? Thanks.

i am so upset with myself,

I just got my mcat back today did terrible, and am pretty sure i'm not gonna get in now.

my stats:

cGPA: 3.4
sgpa: 3.1
MCAT: 22Q :cry:

i am so upset with myself,

I just got my mcat back today did terrible, and am pretty sure i'm not gonna get in now.

my stats:

cGPA: 3.4
sgpa: 3.1
MCAT: 22Q :cry:

Yes, a friend from undergrad was accepted to the BMS program last year with similar stats, AND he was accepted to the medical program this year.

Get that app out as soon as possible, as well as the primary AMCAS and secondary apps

Yes, a friend from undergrad was accepted to the BMS program last year with similar stats, AND he was accepted to the medical program this year.

Get that app out as soon as possible, as well as the primary AMCAS and secondary apps

He got into CMS with a 22Q MCAT?

speaking of the mcat...i received my retake score back and it ended up with 30Q, much better than the 22Q i had last year lol. Verbal still ate me up though..(12ps 7v 11bs) but im satisfied. I HATE VR!! Im still going to do the program and i cannot wait to start!

dearscience,

i'm guessing he retook the exam?
any idea what he got the second time

speaking of the mcat...i received my retake score back and it ended up with 30Q, much better than the 22Q i had last year lol. Verbal still ate me up though..(12ps 7v 11bs) but im satisfied. I HATE VR!! Im still going to do the program and i cannot wait to start!

hey clhc?

did you apply anywhere with that 22? how did you do it????? any advice for me since I can only hope to do what you did, except I want to take it again in August or July so I don't forget too much.