Rosalind Franklin BMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've enjoyed my gap year a lot, but I'd like to somewhat get myself back in the grind. A lot of us have probably taken Biochem, Physio or Cell. It would be nice to see what material is tested so I have a better idea of what to freshen up on.
Don't worry, I also took a gap year. It wasn't too difficult to get back into the grind when you get hit in the face with all the info that is flying at you left and right!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not completely sure about this but, I think MD programs will be uninterested in a students who drops out of a doctorate program.
Anyone else has any knowledge of applying to MD while in DO program?

Anyone else has any knowledge of applying to MD while in DO program?

With all do respect, why on earth would you be in medical school and still applying for medical school? They are both med school. If you aren't satisfied with DO (and I'm not judging, I turned down DO acceptance for BMS), then you definitely shouldn't go. Plus, I would imagine that it doesn't say a lot for your character on MD apps if you're in a DO med school applying for MD. I would imagine it would make admissions committees think that you aren't genuine in wanting medicine but instead the "more prestigious" MD.

Please don't rip me apart for this post. I would imagine you want some sort of feedback since you posted on here. Hope that makes sense. And if it helps at all, I was in your position a few years ago and I just don't foresee one would enter DO if you are still going to be spending your days wanting MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I join a DO program this fall, and still apply to MD programs in the upcoming cycle? Torn between DO offer and BMS, and time is running out.

Let someone else have your DO spot who actually wants it. Accept the BMS offer if you're only happy with MD.

I'm anxiously waiting hoping the waitlist makes some major moves today or tomorrow!
Anyone been taken off the BMS waitlist this week? Or has received an acceptance this week?

Just got accepted after being on the waitlist for almost a month.
Wonder if RFU BMS will still have a better linkage than Tufts MBS. Any thoughts?

accepted off the waitlist today.
complete 5/19
in screening 6/10
waitlisted 6/18
accepted 6/23

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted from the waitlist yesterday.
Received: 4/28
Complete: 5/30
Screening: 6/9
Waitlist: 6/18
Accepted: 6/23

If I were you I would just take the DO offer and save myself the headache that is the BMS year. Unless you feel dead set on doing some super competitive residency like Derm, Plastic Surgery, ENT, etc. In that case BMS might be what you want to do to get the MD. Still, things could change quickly in the next 5 years for DOs and getting into competitive specialties might become much easier for them.

Also, here is a folder with examples of exam questions from each medical school class: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/itcdbw5fnoqbmf0/AAAbCSzMSXpYENE0yyIdQ1oBa
Why do u suppose competitive residencies would get easier for DO in next few years?

With all do respect, why on earth would you be in medical school and still applying for medical school? They are both med school. If you aren't satisfied with DO (and I'm not judging, I turned down DO acceptance for BMS), then you definitely shouldn't go. Plus, I would imagine that it doesn't say a lot for your character on MD apps if you're in a DO med school applying for MD. I would imagine it would make admissions committees think that you aren't genuine in wanting medicine but instead the "more prestigious" MD.

Please don't rip me apart for this post. I would imagine you want some sort of feedback since you posted on here. Hope that makes sense. And if it helps at all, I was in your position a few years ago and I just don't foresee one would enter DO if you are still going to be spending your days wanting MD.
Thanks for candid input. If I turn down DO and go BMS, will it affect my DO chances next cycle, since that will be the backup. I've heard rejecting med school offers ruin chances next time around.

If you turn down DO this year, of course it will affect your DO chances next cycle. You'll have to explain why you turned it down which isn't as easy as it sounds.

Do yourself a favor and go be a doctor. Attend your DO school.

Why do u suppose competitive residencies would get easier for DO in next few years?

It's my understanding that in 2020 the ACGME and the AOA is merging into 1 residency system. This means that all DOs will be able to apply for all MD residencies and vice versa. Unfortunately, if I'm not mistaken, you will graduate from DO schools in 2018 a few years before it takes affect. Also, it will take a few years after the merger - 2025 - until the full affect of the merger is felt for DOs (ie. until the MD residencies fully incorporate DOs into their residency programs). That being said, in our lifetime, we sill see a significant increase in the presence of DOs in the medical field. It's the beginning of the end for MD vs DO.

The number I heard for the # of BMS students waitlisted was 21. I don't know where the 8-10 number came from. But I heard 21 from someone in the BMS office
Does anyone know the number of students waitlisted for the BMS program? (I don't mean BMS that are waitlisted for CMS)

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted from the waitlist yesterday.
Received: 4/28
Complete: 5/30
Screening: 6/9
Waitlist: 6/18
Accepted: 6/23

To those recently off the waitlist to the bms program, can you please post your stats, if you sent in any letters of intent or update, and how you laid those letters out for the committee as well please? Thank you so much. This is my last resort for med school. I'm also thinking of a master in public health in the fall too... any thoughts on that everyone for increasing my gpa and getting into med school next year?

To those recently off the waitlist to the bms program, can you please post your stats, if you sent in any letters of intent or update, and how you laid those letters out for the committee as well please? Thank you so much. This is my last resort for med school. I'm also thinking of a master in public health in the fall too... any thoughts on that everyone for increasing my gpa and getting into med school next year?

Was on the waitlist for a month. Didn't send anything but updated transcript. You could send a statement of purpose or another personal statement. It wouldn't hurt.
I had a 26MCAT 3.2 c/sGPA. My numbers are low but I had a ton of leadership, clinical volunteering, research, and teaching experience.
I feel like a 26 MCAT is not that great for CMS and I plan on retaking it in August. What do the rest think? Is a 26 going to decrease my chances of the linkage even with A's in the program?

Was on the waitlist for a month. Didn't send anything but updated transcript. You could send a statement of purpose or another personal statement. It wouldn't hurt.
I had a 26MCAT 3.2 c/sGPA. My numbers are low but I had a ton of leadership, clinical volunteering, research, and teaching experience.
I feel like a 26 MCAT is not that great for CMS and I plan on retaking it in August. What do the rest think? Is a 26 going to decrease my chances of the linkage even with A's in the program?

Same Mcat here. Everyone told me if its good for bms, its good for cms. In previous years I would say not to retake it. However, this year things have completely changed and the rhetoric is "they look at everything in your application." With the new 56% bms to cms acceptance rate, im not sure what to think.

I have a fairly low MCAT too but earlier posters said it would be fine. People with As and Bs and high MCATs are getting rejected so you don't really know what to expect.

Low motivation to study for the MCAT = high likelihood for a bad score. I'm resting on my laurels.

Reactions: 2 users

I didn't send anything other than an updated transcript either. c/sGPA 3.3 MCAT 25. Had decent ECs and shadowing, but nothing crazy. Didn't send in any letters or anything though. I'm registered to retake the MCAT at the end of July, but not sure if I should still retake it after getting in. Thoughts?

See that's where I'm stumped. I have a cum 2.9ish gpa, 3.0 cum science. But my last two years of schooling I received a gpa of 3.6 cum and 3.3cumscience. I have great volunteer, extracurriculars, leadership, and work at a hospital. At this point my mcat comes in july 5th. soooo maybe they're waiting on that.

I think a 26 is fine. I agree, I'm not sure what they're looking for at cms considering, as mentioned above, people with As and Bs and high mcats had been rejected.

waiting is the worst :/ goodluck everyone.

My overall undergrad stats were pretty bad, so I did a post bac to address the low gpa.
Undergrad: c/sGPA = 2.7 (~4.5 years)
Post bac: c/sGPA = 4.0 (~45 credits of mostly upper level bio classes)
Combined undergrad + postbac c/sGPA = 3.0

It's worth noting that my average GPA doesn't address the trend very well:
My GPA in the last 3 years (senior, partial 5th, and postbac years) was about 3.8, so clearly there was a significant upward trend.

I took the MCAT, GRE, and the GRE subject test in Biochem, Cell, and Molecular Biology.
MCAT = 31 (10/10/11)
GRE VR = 163
GRE QR = 160
(These GRE scores are equivalent to a 1410 composite on the old scale)
GRE subject test (Biochem, Cell, and Molecular Biology) = 620

After I got waitlisted I wrote up and sent an update on the research I did last year (in more detail than my original app, including abstracts that I presented), what I've done since I applied, and my plans for the rest of the summer to build off this work. Honestly, I have no idea if this did anything.

If you send something meaningful it may or may not do anything directly, but it should make the adcom at least take another look at your application, and presumably you'll come to mind when they're making decisions.

In terms of boosting your GPA, I'm in favor of a "do it yourself" postbac (as opposed to a formal program), but you obviously need to make it your priority and kill it. My plan, if I didn't get into BMS this cycle, was to continue taking upper level bio classes in my postbac, research, and get more clinical and volunteer experience for a year and apply again.

Earlier in this thread you said that your MCAT was expired. Are you retaking it?
Edit: I just read your most recent post about your MCAT score arriving on July 5th. It's not impossible that they're waiting for that score before making a decision? (Total speculation)

Last edited:
Same Mcat here. Everyone told me if its good for bms, its good for cms. In previous years I would say not to retake it. However, this year things have completely changed and the rhetoric is "they look at everything in your application." With the new 56% bms to cms acceptance rate, im not sure what to think.
I don't know where you got that 56% from but we started the program with more than 130 in the beginning and roughly 106 students graduated. As of now, there are 53 people who are admitted to CMS which is a 50% acceptace rate. However, there are some people who are waitlisted and this rate could go up depending on how many will eventually get off the waitlist. Looking at the past threads, I haven't seen this many waitlists from BMS program before so I'm expecting more will get off the waitlist than it has before (this statement is totally a gestimate).

guys same here. i have a 27 mcat and was told the same thing."if its good enough for BMS its good enough CMS"

the new "changes" had made me nervous.

However after seeing current BMSers post about being rejected/waitlisted a low MCAT was not a common thread between them. i talked to 1-2 current BMSers via facebook and they said they have seen people with even lower MCATs get admission this year from BMS to CMS. While people posting with MCATs of 30 being waitlisted as current BMSers.

See that's where I'm stumped. I have a cum 2.9ish gpa, 3.0 cum science. But my last two years of schooling I received a gpa of 3.6 cum and 3.3cumscience. I have great volunteer, extracurriculars, leadership, and work at a hospital. At this point my mcat comes in july 5th. soooo maybe they're waiting on that.

I think a 26 is fine. I agree, I'm not sure what they're looking for at cms considering, as mentioned above, people with As and Bs and high mcats had been rejected.

waiting is the worst :/ goodluck everyone.

Seems like you have that upward trend which is why they have waitlisted you and want to see that MCAT. I feel like a score close to 30 or above and your GPA, you have a good chance of getting in. That unfortunately also depends on how many seats are open, rumors have it that seats are full and people like myself only have only gotten off because others may have declined their acceptances...

I am also retaking my MCAT in early August. It wouldn't hurt to try to get a score closer to 30 especially if the CMS admissions are becoming more and more strict.

My overall undergrad stats were pretty bad, so I did a post bac to address the low gpa.
Undergrad: c/sGPA = 2.7 (~4.5 years)
Post bac: c/sGPA = 4.0 (~45 credits of mostly upper level bio classes)
Combined undergrad + postbac c/sGPA = 3.0

It's worth noting that my average GPA doesn't address the trend very well:
My GPA in the last 3 years (senior, partial 5th, and postbac years) was about 3.8, so clearly there was a significant upward trend.

I took the MCAT, GRE, and the GRE subject test in Biochem, Cell, and Molecular Biology.
MCAT = 31 (10/10/11)
GRE VR = 163
GRE QR = 160
(These GRE scores are equivalent to a 1410 composite on the old scale)
GRE subject test (Biochem, Cell, and Molecular Biology) = 620

After I got waitlisted I wrote up and sent an update on the research I did last year (in more detail than my original app, including abstracts that I presented), what I've done since I applied, and my plans for the rest of the summer to build off this work. Honestly, I have no idea if this did anything.

If you send something meaningful it may or may not do anything directly, but it should make the adcom at least take another look at your application, and presumably you'll come to mind when they're making decisions.

In terms of boosting your GPA, I'm in favor of a "do it yourself" postbac (as opposed to a formal program), but you obviously need to make it your priority and kill it. My plan, if I didn't get into BMS this cycle, was to continue taking upper level bio classes in my postbac, research, and get more clinical and volunteer experience for a year and apply again.

Earlier in this thread you said that your MCAT was expired. Are you retaking it?
Edit: I just read your most recent post about your MCAT score arriving on July 5th. It's not impossible that they're waiting for that score before making a decision? (Total speculation)

Thank you all so much for the feedback! Unfortunately, I did not feel too confident after my MCAT June 5th, but one more week will tell. Congrats to those who got off of the waitlist! At this point I agree, it seems the seats are all full, and only those being accepted from the waitlist is due to already current acceptances declining the offer.

I'll have to start looking into some masters programs. In the mean time, I'll write a second detailed letter of intent, who knows right? haha.

To those wondering about the mcat, I really feel that no one knows the answer for sure until this new bms class goes through to 2015. I think with the new adcom folks will have a much better idea after your bms class what stats are needed to get from bms to cms.

I don't know where you got that 56% from but we started the program with more than 130 in the beginning and roughly 106 students graduated. As of now, there are 53 people who are admitted to CMS which is a 50% acceptace rate. However, there are some people who are waitlisted and this rate could go up depending on how many will eventually get off the waitlist. Looking at the past threads, I haven't seen this many waitlists from BMS program before so I'm expecting more will get off the waitlist than it has before (this statement is totally a gestimate).

I am confused. Did 53 people get into CMS, or did 53 people total get into allopathic medical schools (CMS + other MD programs)?

The 53 number came from an email list from BMS advisor to all the M1A's this upcming year. So as of right now 53 people from our class are going to CMS. However, I personally know 4 people that were admitted to CMS but decided to go to other medical schools, which is why they do not show up on the email list. So I believe th actual number is 57 that were admitted to CMS.

Last edited:
so 57/106 is the final and confirmed stats for last year's BMS? did anyone get in with a C in medical courses?

I applied to CMS for the 2013 application cycle and was rejected. As a BMS student, for the AMCAS for CMS this year, would I have to obtain an updated committee letter, or would I be able to reuse the same one I applied to CMS with last application cycle? In other words, can I reuse my previous committee letter and LOR's in conjunction with a new primary application (with a new personal statement, updated work experiences, etc).

I applied to CMS for the 2013 application cycle and was rejected. As a BMS student, for the AMCAS for CMS this year, would I have to obtain an updated committee letter, or would I be able to reuse the same one I applied to CMS with last application cycle? In other words, can I reuse my previous committee letter and LOR's in conjunction with a new primary application (with a new personal statement, updated work experiences, etc).

You can use the letters that got you into BMS for CMS.

The 53 number came from an email list from BMS advisor to all the M1A's this upcming year. So as of right now 53 people from our class are going to CMS. However, I personally know 4 people that were admitted to CMS but decided to go to other medical schools, which is why they do not show up on the email list. So I believe th actual number is 57 that were admitted to CMS.
The list included someone who isn't going to BMS. So 52 is the total number of BMSers as of right now who will attend CMS. I personally know of 6 people who are going to other schools who got accepted. With that being said, they have a very large waitlist so I am assuming that as the coming months pass, there will be some others accepted.

i am in the same position. problem is not much changed in app. my LOR's are so outdated at this point. really hope for some clarification in how CMS looks at BMS AMCAS

I would be cautious if you were rejected from CMS outright. I know more than a few incoming BMSers who were interviewed by CMS this year but were rejected post-interview or were put on the current wait list.

I would be cautious if you were rejected from CMS outright. I know more than a few incoming BMSers who were interviewed by CMS this year but were rejected post-interview or were put on the current wait list.

? why is that. i was rejected from CMS post-secondary. going to be starting BMS in august

Those incoming BMSers who were already interviewed for CMS seem to have a med school application which the ad com liked enough to grant interviews to. So just from the start, those rejected post-secondary would be at a disadvantage for getting into CMS compared to those who were not rejected post-secondary, because the CMS has already sort of given an "opinion" on your application.

But what do I know. If you get good BMS grades, you should be fine.

Those incoming BMSers who were already interviewed for CMS seem to have a med school application which the ad com liked enough to grant interviews to. So just from the start, those rejected post-secondary would be at a disadvantage for getting into CMS compared to those who were not rejected post-secondary, because the CMS has already sort of given an "opinion" on your application.

But what do I know. If you get good BMS grades, you should be fine.

true. but when you apply to BMS they know you got rejected from CMS. also doesn't the committee consistent of slightly different members every year? I understand the point you are making.

ah right. I'm just worrying about it myself. But be sure to apply to other med schools too this cycle besides CMS.

guys same here. i have a 27 mcat and was told the same thing."if its good enough for BMS its good enough CMS"

the new "changes" had made me nervous.

However after seeing current BMSers post about being rejected/waitlisted a low MCAT was not a common thread between them. i talked to 1-2 current BMSers via facebook and they said they have seen people with even lower MCATs get admission this year from BMS to CMS. While people posting with MCATs of 30 being waitlisted as current BMSers.
Could in-state candidates be getting preference over out of state, if mcat was not the deciding factor? Or maybe it was the ECs?
Trying to gauge if a mcat/undergrad gpa of 35/3.5, average ECs and a above average BMS gpa of say 3.6 will be safe for cms acceptance.

Could in-state candidates be getting preference over out of state, if mcat was not the deciding factor? Or maybe it was the ECs?
Trying to gauge if a mcat/undergrad gpa of 35/3.5, average ECs and a above average BMS gpa of say 3.6 will be safe for cms acceptance.

Lol I think you're safe with that 35 MCAT

May I ask why you're applying to BMS with those stats? lol.

Definitely competitive for many MD schools too
FYI these numbers got me only 1 MD interview last cycle. Hope to have better luck with other MDs as well as CMS this cycle. But then CMS accetance from BMS has become so unpredictable - so not sure if thats the way to go.

FYI these numbers got me only 1 MD interview last cycle. Hope to have better luck with other MDs as well as CMS this cycle. But then CMS accetance from BMS has become so unpredictable - so not sure if thats the way to go.

Did you apply late? If I were you id work on making your ECs better than average and apply early next cycle. You have the numbers already.

Did you call and ask schools what the issue was. If those numbers only got you 1 interview then there must be something on your application that hurt you. I would save the 50k and just work and gain experience for a year and maybe even take 1 or 2 classes and then reapply next year. SMPs are for students who need help with numbers. I don't think you need much help in that department lol

@Higgs I am surprised with ur stats u are considering BMS . If you really think you need a Smp you probably should have done Temple.

If you do decide to come to BMS. I think 35 is an amazing score .

On a side note have you guys submitted Amcas yet? I am holding off till I know for sure if I am going to Rufms bms

I've decided to do a different program so once everything is official I plan on withdrawing my acceptance to the BMS program. Hope that contributes to waitlist movement and good luck to everyone!!

so 57/106 is the final and confirmed stats for last year's BMS? did anyone get in with a C in medical courses?

Hi. I just came here to give my point of view and dispel all of these MCAT rumors because I am sick and tired of people thinking that a sub-25 MCAT is the kiss of death.

I am a current BMS student (well technically not any more since the year is over, but you get my point..lol)

I got accepted into CMS yesterday, as did several of my classmates. I did NOT have straight A's. As a matter of fact, I had a B in Biochem and a low B in Cell Bio. I also had a highC/lowB walking into the Physio final yesterday and I did great on the final and ended up with a B in the course. As for neuro, I had an A on the first exam, and high C's on the following two exams. Did horrible on the final, and ended up with a C in the course.

So in the end, I ended my BMS year with A's in my online classes (very easy to get), C in neuro, and the rest were B's.
That being said, CMS looks at more than just your grades!! They look at the whole applicant and what they think you can offer to the school besides great exam scores.
My MCAT was not stellar either. My highest score was a 23: 4 verbal, 8 bio, and 11 phys. Undergrad was forever ago so i don't remember my exact GPA, but it was around a 3.5 and 3.0science.

I had a great interview and have several things in my application that make me 'unique' and show that I am well-rounded and suited to be a physician.

So please, please, PLEASE…do not think that just because you have a great MCAT score and all A's that you are guaranteed a seat in CMS. And please do not be discouraged if you have low stats, you still have a chance, and I am living proof of that!!!