Rosalind Franklin BMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
did you guys get the immunization email today?

Reactions: 3 users
Hi Everyone! I've been accepted and am very excited about the program!

App Received - 5/05
App Completed - 5/06
App in Screening - 5/07
Acceptance via Email - 5/12

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ok fellow BMSers

I am filling out my AMCAS app currently and I have no clue what are good schools to apply to other then obv Rosalind's medical soon.
I honestly would be perfectly content getting into Rosalind but just in case I think its a good idea to apply to others but what would be other good schools that make sense to apply to or who like the BMS program or would maybe have similar standards? I just have absolutely no clue and I am a california resident so maybe i can apply to UCD and UCR as just in case pigs fly? I dont have any crazy stats just good averages across the board except my undergrad hence this program :) Oh and maybe apply to some DO programs too?

what do you guys think??

Seems like there was a round that went out today. I only know of 8 people who got in, so it may have been a smaller batch. I assume there is still one more batch that will come out by the end of the month.

Hey ok fellow BMSers

I am filling out my AMCAS app currently and I have no clue what are good schools to apply to other then obv Rosalind's medical soon.
I honestly would be perfectly content getting into Rosalind but just in case I think its a good idea to apply to others but what would be other good schools that make sense to apply to or who like the BMS program or would maybe have similar standards? I just have absolutely no clue and I am a california resident so maybe i can apply to UCD and UCR as just in case pigs fly? I dont have any crazy stats just good averages across the board except my undergrad hence this program :) Oh and maybe apply to some DO programs too?

what do you guys think??
Apply to wherever you want to apply. I think in general med schools like SMPs (as long as you do well in them). But you also need to realize that some of them might not see how well you're doing since the first set of grades don't come out until late November. However, if I were to give you advice, get everything done before BMS starts because you won't have much time during the year to do secondaries and such.

Just withdrew my acceptance, and I really hope it goes to one of you guys!

Seems like there was a round that went out today. I only know of 8 people who got in, so it may have been a smaller batch. I assume there is still one more batch that will come out by the end of the month.

Are you referring to acceptance into BMS or CMS?

Hey guys!
I've been a long time lurker, first time poster lol.
I have a question and was wondering if someone can assist me. I've applied to the BMS program a few weeks ago and my application was received on the 14th of May. I don't know if I'll get accepted into the program or not, but my plan is to apply to several medical schools this cycle if I don't get accepted into the BMS program. If I, however, do get accepted into the BMS program, is it feasible to apply to the other medical schools this cycle? The reason I ask is, say I get an interview from another medical school, but I have classes to attend at RFU. Would I have to arrange my interviews around my class and exam schedules? Or will the interview be around the same time as CMS' interview (when the BMS program has come to an end)?
Being a Canadian applicant, I'm unsure on how this procedure works. If anyone can assist me that will be awesome!! :)

Hey guys!
I've been a long time lurker, first time poster lol.
I have a question and was wondering if someone can assist me. I've applied to the BMS program a few weeks ago and my application was received on the 14th of May. I don't know if I'll get accepted into the program or not, but my plan is to apply to several medical schools this cycle if I don't get accepted into the BMS program. If I, however, do get accepted into the BMS program, is it feasible to apply to the other medical schools this cycle? The reason I ask is, say I get an interview from another medical school, but I have classes to attend at RFU. Would I have to arrange my interviews around my class and exam schedules? Or will the interview be around the same time as CMS' interview (when the BMS program has come to an end)?
Being a Canadian applicant, I'm unsure on how this procedure works. If anyone can assist me that will be awesome!! :)

The answer is 'yes' to all your questions. The CMS interview may or may not be at the same time as other med school interviews.

is there a deadline to fill out FAFSA for BMS?

i have been too lazy and not gotten to it

Members don't see this ad :)
6/27. check the rfu financial aid email because there are some other forms to fill out.

Hi you all,

Received the acceptance email yesterday!!!! I am so excited!! so I applied for the scholarship and I was wondering how you can know if you have received the scholarship?

What are the steps we need to take once we are admitted to the BMS program (e.g., housing, finical aid, loans, immunization)?

Does the school provide a guideline outlining these steps?

What are the steps we need to take once we are admitted to the BMS program (e.g., housing, finical aid, loans, immunization)?

Does the school provide a guideline outlining these steps?
steps? there are X number of things that must be done. do them.

There's a financial aid email that gives a to-do list to budget, do fafsa, sign loan mpns, submit insurance waiver etc. Even if you haven't received this yet, I would fill out your fafsa asap. The immunization/background check email comes later.

Will be seeing you guys in the fall....have some time to read this summer, could 2014 BMS students suggest books to get for Biochem and Physiology?

There's a financial aid email that gives a to-do list to budget, do fafsa, sign loan mpns, submit insurance waiver etc. Even if you haven't received this yet, I would fill out your fafsa asap. The immunization/background check email comes later.

Thank you so much tttgo! I haven't received any emails yet. Presumably, I will receive that email sometimes this week. What else do I need to do besides filling out the FAFSA and the application for on-campus housing now?

Will be seeing you guys in the fall....have some time to read this summer, could 2014 BMS students suggest books to get for Biochem and Physiology?
Don't waste your time reading books. Literally everything you need for these classes are on the professors notes and powerpoints. If you join the facebook group I'm sure one of the M1a's can/will provide you with the lectures and notes for the first few classes of biochem and CMCB.

Don't waste your time reading books. Literally everything you need for these classes are on the professors notes and powerpoints. If you join the facebook group I'm sure one of the M1a's can/will provide you with the lectures and notes for the first few classes of biochem and CMCB.
Okay, thanks a lot!

How many BMS have been accepted to CMS this year? Anyone know?

I will start by saying that I do not know for certain the answer. However, I can tell you that much less people at this point have been accepted than previous years. So far, there have been 3 small-ish rounds of acceptances. I don't have exact numbers. There was an email sent to all bms this afternoon (although only pertinent to those still waiting) stating that the class is not yet full. That being said, it doesn't look like as many will accepted as in the past. Other bms students should add to this if I'm mistaken. Enjoy your summer before BMS !! :)

i intend to fully enjoy my summer before BMS. i heard that pre studying can be counterproductive and will lead to early burn out. my fellow BMSers, turn to USA because you are all on 'Burn Notice.'

with that being said, good luck to those still waiting for CMS acceptances.

i intend to fully enjoy my summer before BMS. i heard that pre studying can be counterproductive and will lead to early burn out. my fellow BMSers, turn to USA because you are all on 'Burn Notice.'

with that being said, good luck to those still waiting for CMS acceptances.

Yes, no need to prepare beforehand. Look forward to seeing you all in August!

If i had to take a wild (and uneducated) guess, it would probably be around 45-50 people have been accepted thus far. Again, just a guess. Based on the names that have gone around.

If i had to take a wild (and uneducated) guess, it would probably be around 45-50 people have been accepted thus far. Again, just a guess. Based on the names that have gone around.

i hope the BMS program can give an official number

Last edited:

Hey, do you know how many people completed the BMS program? so, 45-50 out of how many viable BMS candidates? Thanks!

We started out with around 120, and roughly 15-20 dropped out throughout the year. This was the biggest class they had to date.

Also not all remaining 100 students are trying to get into CMS. I think some are trying to get into other programs.

Regardless I hope people don't get stuck on that 40-50 number it was just a guess someone posted above

The year before had 71 from the BMS program getting admitted to CMS. This year has so far had less, probably around 50. But there is going to be one more wave of acceptances likely in a week, so we'll know if the total # is closer to what it has been in years past or not

Also not all remaining 100 students are trying to get into CMS. I think some are trying to get into other programs.

Regardless I hope people don't get stuck on that 40-50 number it was just a guess someone posted above

I think that's how it is every year. Not all BMS students end up going to CMS because some choose to go elsewhere

Does anyone has the BMS class schedule of last year? I want to get an idea of the time frame of classes and how many times a week they are held to see if I need to move on campus. I would really appreciate it if you could send it to me or post it here.

I think for our year, when they asked our class who wanted to go to any other program other than CMS no one raised their hand. So I think it's safe to assume most people are trying to get into CMS. With that being said, throughout the year things change and people will drop and people will also get into other med schools. It does seem like there will be a smaller number of BMSers accepted for this years class though. Its very unfortunate with what they're doing this year. I still know many people who have multiple A's who are still waiting...I really have no idea what the admissions committee is doing...

So I got this letter in a private message, but it makes me wary of attending now. Editing it and deleting some revealing info and not revealing who sent it to me because I dont want the person to get in trouble.

Hi there- I'm going to be brutally honest... I hated BMS. The administration is a mess and I can only hope that they make improvements based on many of our scathing reviews. less than 30 of the BMS students have gotten into CMS. I flat out rejected my acceptance and will be attending another med school in the fall. Be very wary- if you had a good MCAT (30+) and make all Bs, you'll likely get into CMS. If not, I'd withdraw from the program ASAP. The admissions committee is completely different this year and I have friends in the program who will likely not get in because of the new standards (though these are only speculative, based in the huge difference in acceptances thus far). Chicago Medical has a very poor reputation in the area because the school doesn't seem to adequately prepare students for the real world of medicine. My M2 friends (who did not go through BMS) regret their decision to attend. Please note that these opinions are coming from someone who got into multiple medical schools and was actually excited about the prospect of going to CMS....before I went through the BMS program. Truly, unless you have your heart set on CMS for personal reasons, I would not recommend the BMS program to anyone.

The admin won't give you any information about what CMS will do for its admission decisions...and you might hear from them pretty late even in July. It's safe to say that if you have an acceptance elsewhere, you would jump at going there. But this was my only option at getting into medical school and thankfully it worked out. Other students who did get accepted to other schools are going to those schools. If you get into CMS, you'll have an MD and can compete for any specialty. This year's match list confirms that. It all depends on how hard you work.

I think the number of students who got into CMS is closer to 50, not 30. Again, there will be another round of acceptances so you can have a better comparison to how this program is to other years

Last edited:
It's true, the administration is a joke. They won't give you any information about what CMS will do for its admission decisions. Instead they'll give you the run around and add even more stress to your BMS year. It's safe to say that if you have an acceptance elsewhere, you would jump at going there. I know I would have. But this was my only option at getting into medical school and thankfully it worked out. Other students who did get accepted to other schools are going to those schools...I mean RFUMS isn't a highly ranked school. For those of us with no other option, it really doesn't matter. If you get into CMS, you'll have an MD and can compete for any specialty. This year's match list confirms that. It all depends on how hard you work.

I think the number of students who got into CMS is closer to 50, not 30. Again, there will be another round of acceptances so you can have a better comparison to how this program is to other years
Hey LakersInSix,

So I shouldn't be too apprehensive about this program with a 26 MCAT (skewed to the science sections)? My GPA isn't bad, but I hear from many people that once you get in to this program GPA doesn't matter at all. I'm confident about the courses I will be taking, but I'm worried that even if I do well, my MCAT might hold me back. Especially when previous posters have mentioned that many people who have A's and B's haven't received their acceptances yet.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

This year we weren't sure if those with low MCATs would get in or not because CMS admissions told us they were looking for higher MCAT scores. But I know of a student with a lower MCAT than yours who got in. That's just one student, though. I don't know about everyone's MCAT scores. I think most students with A's and B's have gotten in. It seems like some students with B's haven't yet. There were a few students with straight A's who didn't get in until the third wave of acceptances. We won't have a complete picture until the next wave of acceptances...so definitely apply to other SMP's and make your decision after we have all available information

Reactions: 1 users
This year we weren't sure if those with low MCATs would get in or not because CMS admissions told us they were looking for higher MCAT scores. But I know of a student with a lower MCAT than yours who got in. That's just one student, though. I don't know about everyone's MCAT scores. I think most students with A's and B's have gotten in. It seems like some students with B's haven't yet. There were a few students with straight A's who didn't get in until the third wave of acceptances. We won't have a complete picture until the next wave of acceptances...so definitely apply to other SMP's and make your decision after we have all available information

Thanks! :)

I completed an SMP this year and I remember the uncertainty I felt prior to starting the program. Being nervous about the number of people accepted is normal and expected.

With that being said, after completing my medical masters year at evms my outlook has changed. I don't think that just because you do an smp you should be admitted to medical school. A large majority of my class, I would say greater than half, were consistently below the med student average. Do you want your medical school to be diluted with below average students? Keep in mind that med masters have their entire future on the line, yet they still cannot be above average. Imagine their performance once the pressure of the smp is gone. I have been where all of you are, but it has also become clear to me that just because you complete an smp doesn't mean you are all of a sudden entitled to become a doctor. There are so many capable applicants that we are lucky smp's even exist in the first place.

As smp students you are jockeying for a spot in one of the most prestigious academic institutions on the entire planet, a United States MD school. There are probably at the very least 1000 other applicants that are equal to or better than the students from your program who haven't been accepted so far. Why should they be ignored in favor of below average students, who were also below average before entering the program? According to this thread somewhere between 30-50 students have been accepted. You can all whine about it all you want, but thats a ****load of people. Doing an smp is a risk. Don't enter with an entitled attitude expecting an acceptance to an MD school with a 25 mcat 3.0 undergrad gpa and a 3.3 smp gpa. Maybe you just aren't meant to have an MD.

Lastly, do you want someone who can't even break a 26 on their frieken mcat to be your physician and make decisions about your health? Seriously that is ridiculous. If the cms smp is anything like evms, (it has even lower acceptance standards than evms) I can say that I 100% support the bottom half of students not gaining an acceptance.

This opinion may be an unpopular one, but it is one that should be shared.

Reactions: 1 users
I completed an SMP this year and I remember the uncertainty I felt prior to starting the program. Being nervous about the number of people accepted is normal and expected.

With that being said, after completing my medical masters year at evms my outlook has changed. I don't think that just because you do an smp you should be admitted to medical school. A large majority of my class, I would say greater than half, were consistently below the med student average. Do you want your medical school to be diluted with below average students? Keep in mind that med masters have their entire future on the line, yet they still cannot be above average. Imagine their performance once the pressure of the smp is gone. I have been where all of you are, but it has also become clear to me that just because you complete an smp doesn't mean you are all of a sudden entitled to become a doctor. There are so many capable applicants that we are lucky smp's even exist in the first place.

As smp students you are jockeying for a spot in one of the most prestigious academic institutions on the entire planet, a United States MD school. There are probably at the very least 1000 other applicants that are equal to or better than the students from your program who haven't been accepted so far. Why should they be ignored in favor of below average students, who were also below average before entering the program? According to this thread somewhere between 30-50 students have been accepted. You can all whine about it all you want, but thats a ****load of people. Doing an smp is a risk. Don't enter with an entitled attitude expecting an acceptance to an MD school with a 25 mcat 3.0 undergrad gpa and a 3.3 smp gpa. Maybe you just aren't meant to have an MD.

Lastly, do you want someone who can't even break a 26 on their frieken mcat to be your physician and make decisions about your health? Seriously that is ridiculous. If the cms smp is anything like evms, (it has even lower acceptance standards than evms) I can say that I 100% support the bottom half of students not gaining an acceptance.

This opinion may be an unpopular one, but it is one that should be shared.

It depends on how students respond to pressure. Every test representing a potential waste of $65,000 could create anxiety that is debilitating to performance. When the pressure "lessens" I imagine performance would not dwindle but improve for a sizable number of students.

I think it's imperative for these programs to frankly release their SMP->medical school matriculation statistics. Transparency is a very important quality to have for a post bacc/master's program. Applying to this BMS program based off of previous years matriculation statistics, only to see the potential for a sizable drop off when students are about to matriculate (Ie: invest $65,000 with interest that begins to accrue IMMEDIATELY) would make any incoming student at the very least tentative.

The clear answer as far as I see it is to raise standards for admission into these SMP programs and release statistics showcasing success rates. That would make this less of a big money gamble.

It depends on how students respond to pressure. Every test representing a potential waste of $65,000 could create anxiety that is debilitating to performance. When the pressure "lessens" I imagine performance would not dwindle but improve for a sizable number of students.

Step 1 isn't high pressure? Rotations aren't high pressure? Making on the spot decisions to keep a dying patient alive isn't high pressure? These situations shouldn't even be compared to choosing A B C D or E on a neuroscience exam.

This validates what I'm saying even more. If they cannot perform in undergrad, on the mcat, and especially in an smp do you want them making decisions about your health? Physicians are expected to respond well, and to remain calm cool and collected in high pressure situations. Personally, I don't want my doctor to be debilitated by pressure.

Step 1 isn't high pressure? Rotations aren't high pressure? Making on the spot decisions to keep a dying patient alive isn't high pressure? These situations shouldn't even be compared to choosing A B C D or E on a neuroscience exam.

This validates what I'm saying even more. If they cannot perform in undergrad, on the mcat, and especially in an smp do you want them making decisions about your health? Physicians are expected to respond well, and to remain calm cool and collected in high pressure situations. Personally, I don't want my doctor to be debilitated by pressure.

Obviously those are all high pressure situations. I was responding strictly to your implication that once the pressure "lessens", the SMP students would perform even worse- "Keep in mind that med masters have their entire future on the line, yet they still cannot be above average. Imagine their performance once the pressure of the smp is gone."

You are defending your point to an argument I never created.

Okay.. I totally agree w most of what you said about earning a US MD being prestigious and the need for accepting only the strongest applicants. HOWEVER, I had a mid-20 mcat, so did some of my best girlfriends in the bms program and we killed every medical school exam. Way over the m1 average. Forget about me though. You made a comment about "do you really want a doc who can't break a 26?" Well, there's always going to be something someone can say. For example, over 20 FRICKEN M1 students failed our cardio exam. Do you really want them treating your family members? No. So, the bottom line is that we are all humans with flaws somewhere along the line. Even students who nailed the mcat and get all As in med school might have terrible bed aide manners or decision making skills. We just need to trust that med schools know what they're doing when they accept people. If someone can't cut it, they'll fail out anyway. But to be making comments About the frickin mcat is just craZy. Maybe it just hits home with me but I know several m1s with high mcats from this past year retaking anatomy this summer: do you want them as your doctor? FUTURE bms students; just try hard and don't let others pull you down. That goes for m1 and bms... :)

Reactions: 8 users