Robert Wood Johnson 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
heeeey
for housing...I looked at colony house and highlands at plaza square. Both were nice...I liked highlands more, but its reaaaaly expensive for a 1 br, although if you hare a roommate, a 2 bedroom isnt so bad!
apparently colony house you have to get on a waitlist for an apt, fairly soon, in order to get one for the fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I just met a girl starting the Molecular Biosciences Program and we are going to look at apartments in the area. We were hoping for a 3rd room mate (or even 4th) so PM me if interested. I am worried about all the good places being taken by the undergrads so I would like to start looking as soon as possible.

a bit of advice from a Rutgers seasoned veteran...

be VERY weary of New Brunswick housing. I know places like the highlands look really nice, but those nice complexes downtown are in the sh1ttiest barrio of new brunswick. the gentrification efforts are in the works, but i would not live there (*yet).

the highlands, in particular, are situated RIGHT over busy route 18. aside from the seedy downtown, you will have to deal with the busiest, most constructed highway in the area.

as you move further away from downtown and look at the rutgers area housing (wards 5 and 6), be very careful. many landlords will not have your best interests at heart, as many people who live around here have written up several formal complaints (there was a whole front page spread about it in the school paper).

I happen to have gotten lucky with my landlord, and im not saying its all bad, but just be careful.

Another tip- the few blocks surrounding RWJ hospital (guilden, delafield, somerset) are not as quiet as you think. come thursday night, those streets get pretty loud and rowdy.

personally, i will be looking at the other surrounding towns (edison, highland park, piscataway proper).

take what i say with a grain of salt, and good luck with the house hunting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Riverwatch, which is next to the Highlands. There are 6 1st years living here now and we like it. If you decide to live here PM me because if I give them referrals they give me money!

But seriously, it's not bad place to live. It is kinda noisy when they're doing construction on 18, but it's not bad. Hopefully it'll be over soon. The landlords are great, it's safe, it's near everything downtown. I would recommend a look.

Take a close look at Highland Park. It's close to school and NB, and it has something of a community feel to it. It's a nice place to walk, it has grocery stores, shops, great restaurants....overall it's a great place. If I weren't so content with my place and if I didn't mid moving, I would move to Highland Park.

yeah i havent really heard great things about nb housing...apartmentratings.com didnt make me feel any better eitherrr! haha

Hey guys I was going to wait to the housing day, but as it seems that everyone else is doing it I'm looking for roommates too. I'll probably try the Rutger's off campus housing thing too, but I really don't want to get stuck with undergrads who don't realize how intense that med school is and what it requires. Anyway, PM me.

a bit of advice from a Rutgers seasoned veteran...

be VERY weary of New Brunswick housing. I know places like the highlands look really nice, but those nice complexes downtown are in the sh1ttiest barrio of new brunswick. the gentrification efforts are in the works, but i would not live there (*yet).

the highlands, in particular, are situated RIGHT over busy route 18. aside from the seedy downtown, you will have to deal with the busiest, most constructed highway in the area.

as you move further away from downtown and look at the rutgers area housing (wards 5 and 6), be very careful. many landlords will not have your best interests at heart, as many people who live around here have written up several formal complaints (there was a whole front page spread about it in the school paper).

I happen to have gotten lucky with my landlord, and im not saying its all bad, but just be careful.

Another tip- the few blocks surrounding RWJ hospital (guilden, delafield, somerset) are not as quiet as you think. come thursday night, those streets get pretty loud and rowdy.

personally, i will be looking at the other surrounding towns (edison, highland park, piscataway proper).

take what i say with a grain of salt, and good luck with the house hunting.

Yeah, the trend is the more North on 287 you go, the better.

Can someone tell me what's an okay area to live in near downtown? Or is there any okay area? What's the area near rutger's college ave/downtown campus like? I live in philly now, so I'm kinda used to noise & such, so I don't think I'd mind that much if it meant I had things like starbucks & places to eat within walking distance.

And when do people usually move?

downtown NB is a barrio with scattered gentrification efforts.

This thread has been dying down~! Where is the RWJ love?

hahah agree..this thread is boring!

Hey Classmates,

Aite, I hope u guys can give me some tips on this one. I'm starting at RWJ in the fall & I need to defer my loans. I have the form and there is a section that the institution needs to fill out. Do I take this to RW or my undergrad, b/c i've called both and both of them say take it to the other. Does anyone know how this deferment thing works?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I have to do everything for you.... ;)

I have prior educational loans that need to be deferred. Who processes my forms?
Deferment forms are processed by the Registrar of your respective school.

Do most people figure out housing situations before RWJ starts officially doing things?

And also, does anyone know if RWJ has any sort of computer policy (ie. what type of laptop to buy)?

Does anyone know if RWJ has AOA, even though it's P/F the first two years?

Do most people figure out housing situations before RWJ starts officially doing things?

And also, does anyone know if RWJ has any sort of computer policy (ie. what type of laptop to buy)?

they have a housing day in june butttt when i went looking at apartments, the lady at one place told me they usually fill up the spring (at that particular apartment) and im guessing some others may be the same. They just put you on a waiting list, so like you can back out of it if you want. Umm so maybe I would suggest looking into that and then if your plans change (ie you meet someone at housing day at rwj and decided to live in society hill or something) you still can, but if not at least you have somewhere.

Umm and I think in the acceptance letter or email they mention something about computers. I kind of want the macbook air or whatever that is..but I dont know how I feel about macs.

Does anyone know if RWJ has AOA, even though it's P/F the first two years?

Yeah, they do. But 3rd and 4th year also matter (perhaps more). Nomination also is given on the basis of character and professionalism.

The academic top 25% is eligible. Only the 1/6 the class gets it.

Getting AOA your fourth year means little, as by the time you get it most of your residency applications are already in. And only like 5 people get AOA their third year.

The Gold Humanism Award is also a merit program, and it's peer nominated. I would rather have that than AOA.

-MLW, MS1

Hey all. this question might be easier for the first and second year med students to answer but i figured i would ask every one. I recently was invited to attend the prematriculation summer program but had plans to just chill for pretty much the whole summer. basically, i just want to know whether this program is worth sacrificing these plans (i haven't been in school for the last two years).

Do most people figure out housing situations before RWJ starts officially doing things?quote]

I was starting to look early just because I was excited and wanted to know where I would be next year. I think a lot of the rutgers off campus housing does fill up for june 1st, so if you want that you have to start looking earlier. There are a lot of apartment buildings in the area and they don't know what will be available june 1st or july 1st because the people moving out only have to give 30-60 days notice. The RWJ housing website looks really helpful with the room mate profiles and so I think I am going to wait a little longer. I just dont want to wait until the housing days because that seems to cut it too close.

Hey all. this question might be easier for the first and second year med students to answer but i figured i would ask every one. I recently was invited to attend the prematriculation summer program but had plans to just chill for pretty much the whole summer. basically, i just want to know whether this program is worth sacrificing these plans (i haven't been in school for the last two years).

Dont they pay you to go to the program? If they do pay you, I would go, but I can't speak for how helpful the program is.

Forgive my ignorance of AOA, do you usually get selected after 2nd year or 3rd year? Why does RWJ only pick like 1/6th of the class rather than the top 25%?

Hey guys,

I do not know if this is the right place to post such a question, but I am going to ask it. There are still applicants as myself who have had February interviews and are still waiting for a decision to come in. I was wondering from all of you that are accepted if you have heard any news from the Admissions office stating that the class has been booked and the rest of the interviews or decisions to be had are just for the waitlist. I know you are going to say ask Admissions, but I doubt they would say it's for the waitlist straight out. I just want to get your thoughts on this for people still stuck behind the gate.

looks like i will be withdrawing from my other schools soon, so i will be officially your classmate.

another 4 years of grease trucks!

Hey guys I just met up with Atahualpa11 from the forums and it looks like we're going to be living together. We hope to get another person or two in with us. Any takers?

I went with my parents last weekend to drive around New Brunswick and Piscataway- I wouldn't mind living in either area. Does anyone know where society hill is? It sounds like a lot of students live there.

Society Hill is very close to the medical school - I'd say as close as you can get, a little over a mile. Many first and second years rent condos there. Many others live in New Brunswick, and again, your drive is very short, about 10 minutes. The advantage to living in NB is that you might be able to walk home after a night out (drunk driving = not a fun option).

There are lots of apartment buildings & complexes in the area, and many people who will be turning over their leases this summer, so apartments will be opening up. No worries right now, you guys still have time to find a place!

See you this summer. :)

- kaki, MSI

So, I'm quite torn between RWJ and Temple at the moment...
Was anyone in a similar scenario, or anyone have any advice?
I know there are some differences with the curriculum, but there are a number of other things I'm considering as well.

[Point of information: I'm an NJ resident and currently attending Rutgers.]

Thank you friends...:thumbup:

i think everyone in here would agree, that RWJ takes the cake.

....your reasoning?

I think he just means because people in this forum have already chosen RWJ, they're more likely to tell you that it's the place to be. :]

Maybe between this thread and Temple's, you can get some more useful advice!
Or try the first years' thread at each school? (Though I haven't found one for RWJ yet...)

Hey guys-
first off congrats on getting in. for those of u who have started looking for places to live next year I wanted to let u know about 2 rooms that are gonna be available in a 4 bedroom house in July. (I'm currently a 2nd year student and one of my roomates and I are gonna be moving out to move down to philly - the 2 other roomates are currently 3rd years). The house is located ~10 min from the med school and a 1/2 mile from the hospital and downtown new brunswick. Across the street are 4 3rd years and next door will be 4 2nd years. Plenty of parking available behind the house. Price is very reasonable. If you're interested shoot me an email at [email protected]

Numerous reasons I would take RWJ over Temple..(which i am)

RWJ is P/F first two years rather than Temple (H/P/F)

RWJ is significantly cheaper than Temple (especially if your out of state at PA)

RWJ is much more focused on research then Temple

Those are at least some of the reasons I am choosing RWJ over Temple

No specific computer policy - many of us have laptops, a few bring them to class, but mostly I bring mine to school to study (i.e. type up notes, look at study sheets online, play on Facebook...) I have a MacBook and it's pretty fabulous. You'll see Macs and PCs here among students.

Any special software program you'd need, e.g. our Histology image program, is installed on the school computers, so (as far as I know) you don't have to worry about compatibility issues. Just use/get whatever computer works best for you. Some people never bring a laptop to school because there are plenty of computers available here. But I like having one so that I can keep all my study notes in one place, and access course materials when I need to.

Numerous reasons I would take RWJ over Temple..(which i am)

RWJ is P/F first two years rather than Temple (H/P/F)

RWJ is significantly cheaper than Temple (especially if your out of state at PA)

RWJ is much more focused on research then Temple

Those are at least some of the reasons I am choosing RWJ over Temple

thanks! and thanks kaki...:)

I can't find a thread for Temple's C/O 2012 unfortunately :-/

Any idea about how the two schools fair with their match lists? From what I have found they seem to be pretty comparable (as far as percentages go anyways)

does anyone know when they update the website for our class?

i know its still probably early, but the orientation stuff from last year looks pretty exciting.

one more-

besides documentation for Hep B, TB, and flu, are there any official health forms we need to fill out?

No specific computer policy - many of us have laptops, a few bring them to class, but mostly I bring mine to school to study (i.e. type up notes, look at study sheets online, play on Facebook...) I have a MacBook and it's pretty fabulous. You'll see Macs and PCs here among students.

Any special software program you'd need, e.g. our Histology image program, is installed on the school computers, so (as far as I know) you don't have to worry about compatibility issues. Just use/get whatever computer works best for you. Some people never bring a laptop to school because there are plenty of computers available here. But I like having one so that I can keep all my study notes in one place, and access course materials when I need to.

Thanks for the information! That is exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if RWJ wanted us to be using Macs or PCs. I've never had a Mac but I must admit those MacBooks are pretty tempting -- I guess Ill have to start doing some research. Most people don't bring laptops to class though? I would have thought it would make taking notes and following presentations much easier..

yeah ive tried bringing laptops to class, but it always turns out the same way.

my keyboard clacking gets too loud, and half hour in my note taking turns into a solitaire/hearts extravaganza.

Most people don't bring laptops to class though? I would have thought it would make taking notes and following presentations much easier..

Yeah, that's initially what I thought as well.. but I realized there are a couple reasons to NOT be taking notes on a laptop in class:
1) You're given printouts of nearly all the lecture slides, so you can take notes next to each slide, which makes it easier to draw arrows to a figure pointing out the important parts, for example.
2) I've actually found that typing out every single thing the professors say is a pretty bad (at least for me) way to learn during lecture. You end up focusing so much on getting every word down that you don't even absorb what they're saying. And looking back at those typed-up notes, they're not that useful. Better to do the assigned reading before attending lecture, so that you know what they'll be talking about, and try to listen instead of writing too much. That's what works for me, anyway. :)

You can always download the lecture slides and the audio file for each lecture afterwards, and re-listen to parts that you need to catch again. It can be a good review, for some classes. (And many people do that if they don't want to attend lecture in the first place.)

Any idea where you find the health forms to fill out? I didn't receive them in the mail.

hey guys-- congrats on getting in!

in case any of you are looking for summer housing (i know some of my first-year classmates did research in the area before starting class, etc.), here's a sublet available: http://cnj.craigslist.org/sub/613032252.html

1 bdrm in Society Hill from may 16-aug 9th-ish (somewhat flexible on the dates). $560/month (2 months + prorated 3 weeks).

It's an end-unit, 3 bdrm townhouse, so no noise from your neighbors (and they probably can't hear you either), and since the living room is downstairs, noise isn't an issue when someone's watching TV downstairs. Bedroom can be furnished or not, your choice.

We've got a nice lake-view patio with a grill (awesome for summer BBQing), brand new washer/dryer on site, dishwasher in the kitchen. You'll be sharing a bathroom with 1 other 2nd year RWJMS female student. She's pretty social, but will also be studying for boards and starting third year, so you can hang out with her as much or as little as you want.

If you're interested email me at the Craigslist posting email-- I don't check SDN too often. Thanks for reading!

does anyone know when they update the website for our class?

i know its still probably early, but the orientation stuff from last year looks pretty exciting.

one more-

besides documentation for Hep B, TB, and flu, are there any official health forms we need to fill out?

I called student services and we will not get housing or orientation stuff until june :(

Hey
Who's planning on going to the april 18th reception \? I missed the one in winter and will probably go to this one.

Theres a reception April 18th? I didnt know that... but I wont be going because I'll still be in South America

Im going.

Hope to meet all of you there!

EDIT: nevermind. seders start the night after and I have to go home for the weekend. There's always orientation...

Does anyone know if the orientation in April is going to cover the same thing as the Jan one? (if I was at the Jan orientation should I not go to the April one?)

Does anyone know if the orientation in April is going to cover the same thing as the Jan one? (if I was at the Jan orientation should I not go to the April one?)

When I originally thought I wasn't going to be able to go to the winter one they said not to worry because there will be another one in the spring soooooo I think they will be as closely related as possible but the whole thing was kinda improv.

Anybody check out this years Match List? All I have to say is WOW! It just makes me more excited about getting started.

aright, so im starting the apartment search. how come there are no society hill listings?