Robert Wood Johnson 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1) Amazing game! :)

2) Yes join the facebook group so I dont look so friendless

3) im not really that worried about purple duck i dont think..

Members don't see this ad.

Read my reply.

-MLW, MS1

Thanks for all the info MLW...

on a side not I am extremely outnumbered in that facebook group by people who went to really good undergraduate schools and/or went to school outside of NJ.

Just think of us as the suckers who paid too much for an undergraduate education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the info MLW...

on a side not I am extremely outnumbered in that facebook group by people who went to really good undergraduate schools and/or went to school outside of NJ.

The only thing that counts is the kind of work ethic you developed at school.

FYI: most represented undergrad schools of the 1st year class: Rutgers (19 kids), Penn (17), Cornell (16), then Princeton and a wash others.

I can tell from your profile that you went to Rutgers. You guys are the plurality in med school, in case that makes you feel better.

Out of curiosity, has anyone received any scholarship info from them? Or does that stuff come later? (Like the Dean's Scholarships?)

Anyone know the FAFSA code for RWJ?

I have had some trouble finding it and keep only finding one code labeled as UMDNJ. Does this mean that RWJ and NJMS share the same code? If so, do I need to differentiate between the two anywhere on the FAFSA?

Hmmm...this thread sucks...

anyway they should really start sending us stuff so I can really start planning my traveling dates.

i agree,...boring thread! sandler, where are u traveling to

Anyone know the FAFSA code for RWJ?

I have had some trouble finding it and keep only finding one code labeled as UMDNJ. Does this mean that RWJ and NJMS share the same code? If so, do I need to differentiate between the two anywhere on the FAFSA?

i asked them this at the tour...there is only one centralized UMDNJ financial aid hub. On fafsa, the one in Newark encompasses both NJMS and RWJMS.

i agree,...boring thread! sandler, where are u traveling to

Definitely going to Italy for about a month May...it's after there that is still up in the air...I would like to go to Spain and a few other places (Ryan Air will come in handy) but the problem is I may be doing this solo now which kinda sucks but i still definitely wanna do it laskdjaskldjaklsdjlaksguoqehfjko.

I've been to the UK/Ireland twice in the past 5 months so I'm looking to get a little further east.

You going anywhere surferdoc?

omg i love spain!! i studied abroad in alicante (5 hrs south of barcelona...its right on the med.) you should go!! im jealous! i want to move back when im finallyyyyy a doctor! also i love/hate ryan air. its so ghetto but so cheap!

im getting ready to leave for south america... ill be there until may. its my favorite!

omg i love spain!! i studied abroad in alicante (5 hrs south of barcelona...its right on the med.) you should go!! im jealous! i want to move back when im finallyyyyy a doctor! also i love/hate ryan air. its so ghetto but so cheap!

im getting ready to leave for south america... ill be there until may. its my favorite!

Yea the Ryan air airplanes pretty much never leave the sky, they do their physical function thats about it and they depart and land at some ghetto airports heh. But for a penny plus taxes its not too bad.

umm but yea i really wanna go to spain but i'm trying to find someone to drag along with me...have fun in SA!...never been. theres so much to do and so little time/money to do it.

haha when are you going? im jealous! if you have questions let me know..i went all over spain when i was there. i want to go backkk :(

Members don't see this ad :)
we need to bring this thread back!

I have started getting emails about open houses for the other schools. Does any one know if there is another one for RWJ or is the next event not until June?

so what are the other fun things some people are planning to do before med school starts?

so i just got an acceptance, and they said i have been placed on a waitlist for NB, and am for now placed in camden.

do most people get their first choice? is this set in stone? camden sucks.

The impression they gave is that pretty much everyone ends up where they want to be and there's still some switching 1st and second year.

so what are the other fun things some people are planning to do before med school starts?

I am going to Prague and Krakow. I dont get back until July 30th. Last year RWJ started the first friday of august which would be two days after I get back. Hopefully they will start a little later this year so I have time to move!

so i just got an acceptance, and they said i have been placed on a waitlist for NB, and am for now placed in camden.

do most people get their first choice? is this set in stone? camden sucks.

I was told several times that it worked out perfect that everyone who wanted to switch got to switch by the end of second year.
I am going to camden and its really not that bad. Since it is a smaller program, you get to know the doctors better and can get more personal recs

alright, my only gripe is that ive heard that RWJ's early clinical exposure is pretty slim. have they changed this as of late? just a rumor?

Check the med school forum for the one about students who hate their med school. One reason that is given over and over again is time wasted in "pre clinical experiences". Most of them are like shadowing your family doctor. Its exciting at first, and then you realize you really aren't learning anything and you wish you could be at home studying for an upcoming test. They are good for keeping you excited about being a doctor, but you need to have a good basis of medical knowledge in order to really learn anything from them. I think RWJ has the perfect amount where it is enough to keep you excited but not so much that it sucks up your time.

Hope that helps!

yeah i actually just read some of those threads. really helpful, and put a lot of things in perspective.

Hey, I'm a second year at RWJ. Thought I'd address some of the questions asked.

As for the Camden issue, don't worry about it. If you want to switch out, it's like 99% chance that you'll get to. Surprisingly, alot of students end up wanting to switch INTO Camden. I think in my year, 21 students switched, all requested were granted. I guess the draw is you get to live in Philly instead of New Brunswick/Piscataway area, which you'll find out gets pretty boring after 2 years. Also, you'll only have to do your clinical rotations only at one hospital(Cooper) which is a plus cause if you're at New Brunswick for 3rd yr, you're pretty certain to have to drive to Princeton(40 min) or Jersey Shore(50 min) Hospitals for at least one rotation. The flip side to that is you won't get a chance to see how different hospitals are run. Anyway, the point is don't worry about where you get placed. You might change your mind. If you still hate Camden when it's time to switch (around Oct during 2nd year), you'll probably get your wish anyway.

As for pre-clinical exposure, I wouldn't waste time thinking about it. First year, it's pretty much just shadowing. You might learn some stuff but in my year, we only had 6 sessions throughout the whole year and my preceptor was an hour away so it ended up just being a nuisance to me, especially close to exam time. Second year is much more useful. We have 14 clinical experiences, 7 inpatient sessions at a hospital, 4 outpatient sessions, 1 peds inpatient, 1 peds outpatient, 1 nursing home. Peds and nursing home are kind of useless, but you'll get to learn more at inpatient sessions(outpatient experience will vary depending on which doctor you get). If you don't learn, at the very least you'll get a chance to practice and develop your history and physical taking skills. You'll get feedback on your written H&P by your hospital preceptor and Patient Centered Medicine course preceptor. Personally, I thought this is probably sufficient pre-clinical experience. I've talked with other friends at other med schools(UTSW, Wake, NJMS...) about their clinical exposure during first 2 years and it's pretty the same.

General comments: Overall, it's a great school. Non-competitive atmosphere with very cooperative classmates. Biggest negative for me is the amount of classes we have. I mean it's a real bitch. Some examples: we have biostats/epidemiology first year and then we have some bull**** course called community and preventive medicine 2nd year, which is bascially the same stuff we learned in epi. Then we have a entire course on nutrition(although only for 2 blocks), it's still overkill. There's other examples, but this post would go on forever. Be glad to answer any other questions, although I won't be much of help about clinical years and residency placement.

wow thanks for clearing so much up.

Got a PM from someone about clinical exposure in M1. Here was my response.

-Matt, M1

Hey,

I just got accepted to RWJ and was wondering if you could clear something up. I hear that RWJ's clinical exposure in the first two years is pretty non-existent. is this true? I know you guys have the PCM course, but does this really allow you to learn in a clinical setting?

Thanks,
It's true that 99.99% of your time your first two years is in the classroom/library/coffee shop studying books. But that's true just about everywhere you go, so as I elaborate on this keep in mind that there's no med school in America where M1's round on patient daily in the ICU, perform LP's in the ED, or do anything close to substantial patient care. Don't expect to be saving lives anytime soon -- there's a long way to go from here until there, and M1's really don't have enough of a foundation to do much besides a little more than shadowing.

Patient Centered Medicine (PCM) is the physical diagnosis/ethics/law/professionalism/catch-all course that M1s and M2s take. It's every Wednesday for M1s and every Thursday for M2s. I don't know much about PCM for M2s, so I'll keep mostly to PCM1. The topics of the lecture and small group range from cultural competency to medical economics. For a few times (3 times I think so far?) the lecture is on physical diagnosis proper, and when we go to the small group sessions immediately after lecture we practice cardiac auscultation, opthalmascope use, neuro exams, etc, on standardized patients (read: real live "actors" who get paid to let us practice stuff of them). Some Wednesdays we have "off site" visits where we go out and to a doctor's office (or the ED) and we basically do glorified shadowing. You're not expected to do full H&P's. Some off site visits are to places such as schools for kids with special needs, or hospice homes, or retirement communities.

I think the consensus is that people would like to have more off site visits to doctors' offices to experience what the real practice of medicine is like, but there are important reasons why we can't. It's tough to schedule 165 practicing doctors to accommodate 165 M1s to come into their offices and possibly be more hassle than they're worth. When we go on off site visits we don't know enough physiology or pathology to really do H&P's well and to know what to look for, instead of just going through the motions just for the sake of saying we've done an H&P. It's an awkward transition between lay person and physician, and I think a lot of the angst of that comes out as a standard knee jerk reaction of all M1's to want more time by a physician's side and not studying anatomy or physiology (which coincidently, you absolutely need to know cold before you can actually help anyone).

Do we get enough patient exposure in our first year? I think so, but I'm not sure, I'm just a student. I don't really know what's best for me and my education. I would gladly trade an hour of watching TV for an hour of office time, but I don't know if I would necessarily trade an hour of studying physio for an hour in the office. Third and fourth year really are the years for clinical learning and I can't wait to get there but I realize that I have to know a whole lot more before I can actually be useful in the wards.

Of course, if you want more exposure in addition to (not in lieu of) your course work you can certainly arrange stuff on your own. There's nothing stopping you from getting in contact with a doc over in NB or wherever and arranging your own shadowing experience. I know of a few people who do it and it works out for them.

I should also say that there is a lot of clinical learning going on in the classrooms. Everything you learn in class may be usefull later on in your career. That's absolutely true, no matter what anyone else says. And it's not just implied, the clinical relevance made perfectly clear to us in every lecture in every class. Every neuro class begins with a case study. Every micro or immuno discussion has key clinical facts. We just did a POPs excercise (small group PBL style learning thing) in micro about proper antibiotic selection. That's incredibly useful stuff! All of the exams in all of the courses are chaulk full of clinical stuff (eg. a patient walks into your office and you notice he has a Trendelenberg gait. What's going on? He just took drugs X, Y and Z, what's going to happen? He has dissociated pain and vibration sensations below L4 and total LMN and sensory loss at L2, describe his CNS lesion. That's all stuff you can/have to learn from a book first.)

The great thing about medical school is that it's a professional school. It's not gearing you up for a career in basic science research. Everything you learn in medical school may help you become a better doctor because everything you will learn has clinical application. If you can remember that and you can find that in course work, the material will suddenly become a lot more interesting and easier to learn.

Anyways, that's kinda long winded. In summary:

*We have off site visits every month
*We learn clinical stuff all the time
*It's natural to want to spend more time in clinical settings
*You have to hit the books before you're worth your weight in salt in the wards.
*Patiently wait for third year, which coinicidently, I'll be in sooner than you. :D :cool:

cooool thanks for all the info NehsNairb and MLW!

does the immuno form/financial aid stuff come separately from the acceptance letter?

me neither. You guys submit the fafsa yet?

they said dont bother until we file our 2007 taxes

I did. I also emailed Financial Aid and asked them when we should be getting some more info. I'll report back when I get a response.

haven't received anything in the mail since the acceptance letter. hopefully i'll get to start/finish the fafsa this weekend.

anyone else do that one-day clinical shadowing experience?:)

Hey everyone I am new to the board but have been reading the posts in this thread for a while. I Just thought I would chime in about the Fin Aid. I received the financial aid letter in my acceptance email along with the recommendations for immunizations. I called the financial aid office in Piscataway they told me that the new fin. aid apps should be up either last week or this week.

BTW does anyone know when the next acceptance day is? I missed the one in Jan.

Haha they just updated the website right now.

i haven't heard a peep from them since the january reception. i have also been out of the country for a month, so hope that i didn't inadvertently delete any email from them. in case i have, can someone hear let me know if i missed anything.

it seems like no one else has heard anythign either, but howcome atahualpa got info on fin aid and immunizations in the acceptance letter?

yeah, what did they update? I looked but I dont see anything different. I would love it if they updated and told us when classes start

Is anyone else considering the M.D./M.B.A. program? I' wondering if anyone knows deadlines and such for that program.

I'm guessing the dates will be similar to last year's dates?

http://rwjms.umdnj.edu/education/educational_programs/academic_calendar.htm#first

The whole course schedule in pdf form is posted too so you can get an idea of what the day-to-day stuff is like.

What was updated? Oh, these forms:

http://www.umdnj.edu/studentfinancialaid/app_process/packet_forms.htm

For those of you who didn't get the fin aid/immuno forms, this is what came w/my acceptance email:

INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS ACCEPTED AT
UMDNJ-ROBERT WOOD JOHNSON MEDICAL SCHOOL
FOR THE CLASS STARTING IN AUGUST, 2008
The accompanying letter offers you a place in our first year class which starts in August,
2008. This place will be reserved for you for the time period indicated in the letter.
The deposit will be credited against your second semester tuition fee.
If payment of this acceptance fee causes financial hardship please write to us, explaining your
situation and indicating when you can make the necessary payment.
If you decide to withdraw from the first year class, please notify us immediately, in writing, so we do not tie up a place and prevent another worthy applicant from being admitted. UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School expects to enroll 156 students in the entering class for the 2008-09 academic year. The first two years of preclinical studies are conducted at the modern basic science facility in Piscataway. As you know, there are two clinical programs, the Piscataway program and the Camden program. For the Piscataway program, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, a community hospital of 5842-bed capacity in nearby New Brunswick, is the principal teaching facility for RWJMS students and residents. The Medical Education Building, Clinical Academic Building and Cancer Institute of New Jersey which are adjacent to the hospital, house the clinical faculty, library, laboratories and classrooms. For the Camden program, students spend their third and fourth years at the Camden
campus with Cooper University Hospital as the principal teaching hospital. Cooper University Hospital is a 540-bed hospital and is principal teaching hospital for Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

In an effort to assist students in locating available housing in the area, the Office of
Students Affairs conducts two "Housing Days" each year, usually in June and July. At
these programs information is provided to acquaint you with the surrounding
communities as well as a list of available rooms, apartments, condos and housing for
rent in nearby locations. Our students are always available to provide you with
information and help answer questions you may have prior to entering medical school.
Tuition is currently $23,136 for New Jersey residents, and $36,203 for out- of state
residents. Fees are estimated to be $2992 per year. Students are required to have a
Page 2
computer. A laptop is not required but if you will be purchasing a laptop, the following
capabilities are recommended: 2.0 GHZ processing speed, 40 Gigabyte hard drive, 1G
ram, R/W CD drive, and 802.11 g internal wireless card, 6 or more hours of battery life
(standard battery life is 2-5 hours so an additional battery pack is recommended.
Software: Microsoft Office 2003. Operating System, Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Either a PC or MAC would be acceptable, though a PC is preferred. The 2008-09 budget
will be adjusted to include the purchase of a computer. All students are subject to any
changes in the tuition fees.
Acceptance and matriculation are conditioned upon the continued mental and physical
well-being of the student sufficient to demonstrate the ability to complete successfully the
program of studies at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. The school reserves the
right to require a student to undergo a mental or physical examination to evaluate fitness
for continued studies after acceptance and throughout the student's matriculation at
RWJMS.
All students are obligated to comply with the bylaws, policies and procedures of Robert
Wood Johnson Medical School at all times during their enrollment. Policy manuals are
available for review and explanation in the Office of Student Affairs.
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School reserves the right, and the student by
his/her act of registration concedes to it the right, to require the withdrawal of any student
at any time the school deems it necessary to safeguard its ideals of scholarship and
character, and to secure compliance with its regulations. After due process the school
has final authority in applying this regulation to individual cases.
Prior to matriculation students are required to present documented proof of having
immunity to Polio, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus and
Varicella zoster and to be vaccinated for Hepatitis B. Please make arrangements with
your physician to be vaccinated.
Each student at RWJMS must be covered by an adequate Student Health Insurance
Policy, including hospitalization, in order to be matriculated. You may choose to
purchase the insurance provided by the University or you must show proof of some other
equivalent insurance coverage.
If we can furnish you with further information please let us know.
Carol A. Terregino, M.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions
Chair, Admissions Committee

The other PDF isn't text-- I mean, it's scanned copy of text so I can't c/p it into here. If anyone wants it I can send you the form, or is there a way to attach files here?

Sorry about being so vague. I thought you guys had the same info as I.
Basically chylo answered most of the important questions. The website is

http://www.umdnj.edu/studentfinancialaid/app_process/packet_forms.htm

Just submit your FAFSA, with the new online application they posted, new authorization form, and a copy of your taxes (learned this after badgering people in the financial aid office since they are impossible to get a hold of).

I have no idea how I received the forms, could it be because I am out of state? Anyways the scanned email is very vague and just says to go to the above website and lists the immunizations you need before starting. If you want them PM me your email and I will send em to you guys.

Tuition is currently $23,136 for New Jersey residents

every time i see this i want to slap it on a billboard, surround it with flashing strobe lights, and have a marching band spell out the words "in state tuition" as they parade up and down my block.

every time i see this i want to slap it on a billboard, surround it with flashing strobe lights, and have a marching band spell out the words "in state tuition" as they parade up and down my block.
haha no kidding i wanted to run around my neighborhood naked when I found out it is so easy to become an instate resident.

I got it. I forgot they sent that information in the email. It was probably an alternative to sending out Financial Aid Packages.

EDIT: So is it necessary to send in our Parent's Tax information?

I got it. I forgot they sent that information in the email. It was probably an alternative to sending out Financial Aid Packages.

EDIT: So is it necessary to send in our Parent's Tax information?

It is not necessary but it is used to determine whether your are eligible for some scholarships. Otherwise it will not have any affect on your fin. aid package.

It is not necessary but it is used to determine whether your are eligible for some scholarships. Otherwise it will not have any affect on your fin. aid package.

Looks like the three scholarships that your parents information would be used for, I would not be eligible for.

One is dental only, one locks you into primary care, and one is based on extreme needs i think. So it will be easier for me to just leave my parents out of it.

Just got the fin aid paper in the mail, just basically tells us to go do the packet online.

I really wish they would update the housing website. Has any found a place to live yet?

Also, is any one else in the camden program? I wonder if they were able to fill the spaces yet.

the amount of forms needed to complete the fin aid seems overwhelming.

is everyone waiting until the housing days to find a place to live/room mate? I hear 10 Landing Lane is a convenient place to live.:)

I have no clue about the housing around New Brunswick (the interview was the first time I have ever been in Jersey). Does anyone that knows the area have any tips or advice for people who have no clue about the housing situation?

PS Anyone looking for a roommate?

I went to rutgers so I'm familiar with the area but not so much the off campus housing. I did rent a place right next door to scarlet pub and right above people who never slept though, not the best experience. However, there are tons of places to live in NB/Piscataway. A good place to look would be the rutgers off campus housing listings. http://och.rutgers.edu/index.php?HousingSearch=1