RO Orals posptoned due to coronavirus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone on themednet talked about brushing up on ICU/general medicine to help with the expected surge of COVID19 patients. Ain't got no time to be learning about Wilm's.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
ABR should scrap the orals this year and resume next year. End the "postponement" talk.
Scrap it and pass us all thank you very much. (One can only hope...)

My Canadian friends tell me since they cancelled all specialties at once, it was such a huge uproar it sounds like they’re going virtual before end of academic year.

Any definitive news regarding written exams for physics, radbio, clinicals or oral exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any definitive news regarding written exams for physics, radbio, clinicals or oral exams?

No, but I would imagine the news about the indefinitely delayed exam to be delayed indefinitely as the situation grows worse. I'm debating contacting them just to see if they're contemplating scrapping this entire year as they should.

Reactions: 1 user
No, but I would imagine the news about the indefinitely delayed exam to be delayed indefinitely as the situation grows worse. I'm debating contacting them just to see if they're contemplating scrapping this entire year as they should.
Have them pull an Italy. We can only hope...

So when's the next study group sesh?

Please tell me I'm not the only one that has lost all motivation to study.

Reactions: 1 users
So when's the next study group sesh?

Please tell me I'm not the only one that has lost all motivation to study.

no you aren't alone. motivation for many things is quite low.

The exam should be cancelled until next year. My practice and work is beyond stressful. I have zero ability to focus or study. This is all around terrible.

Also, it would be nice if the ABR even asked us for an opinion. After screwing our year once - they could at least listen to our concerns this time.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
we should plan for this moving forward this fall. i agree that i wish it could be canned for a year. but i expect sept or oct.

Last edited:
My bet is they put it during ASTRO time since the examiners would mostly collect at ASTRO anyway.

I see why they are hesitating. Hard to predict where the pandemic is going.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed them the other day suggesting they cancel and postpone until May 2021. Even the Olympics pushed back one year.

They responded that they are not doing that. So looking forward to a great summer of studying, pandemics, and likely 10+ hours a day of a clinic filled with postponed follow ups plus the usual stuff. Class of 2019 is going to take the hit again.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
What if you decide to not take it this year and table it to the next?

What if you decide to not take it this year and table it to the next?

Great question! From their website:

Additional Fees
If a candidate registers for an exam and cancels 30 days or more prior to the exam date, any exam fees paid will be applied to his or her next eligible exam. If he or she registers for an exam and cancel fewer than 30 days prior to the exam date or does not show for the exam appointment, he or she forfeits any exam fees paid.

F' em. I'm taking these next year.

Has anybody heard any whispers about Rad Bio/Physics and Clinical Writtens?

Any thoughts if these might also get pushed?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Has anybody heard any whispers about Rad Bio/Physics and Clinical Writtens?

Any thoughts if these might also get pushed?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Updates are here ABR

Looks like they are scheduled normally right now but could change if there are test center restrictions that get extended into July (currently goes into April).

I've heard rumors of anything from July 2020 through February 2021. Honestly, if the ABR just gave us a month range (i.e. "the exam has been rescheduled for a date in September 2020, which we will finalize in the next ten days"), I would have an easier time planning the rest of my life with clinic, time off, etc.

I've heard rumors of anything from July 2020 through February 2021. Honestly, if the ABR just gave us a month range (i.e. "the exam has been rescheduled for a date in September 2020, which we will finalize in the next ten days"), I would have an easier time planning the rest of my life with clinic, time off, etc.

So glad we'll have to add studying for this test to our to-do list for the rest of the year while dealing with the fallout from this pandemic, both clinically and personally.

So glad we'll have to add studying for this test to our to-do list for the rest of the year while dealing with the fallout from this pandemic, both clinically and personally.

I don't mean to be antagonistic, but what do you want from ABR in this situation? If you don't want to study with everything going on, don't study this year, and take it in May 2021. That's definitely an option. It doesn't even sound like that will cost you any money.

I don't mean to be antagonistic, but what do you want from ABR in this situation? If you don't want to study with everything going on, don't study this year, and take it in May 2021. That's definitely an option. It doesn't even sound like that will cost you any money.

What do people want? How about an accrediting organization that actually cares about its members?

How about an organization that either arranged a virtual test, delays the test, or adds an extra year of eligibility for those who elect not to take it this year?

How about an organization that doesn’t fail approximately half a class on the basis of non-clinically relevant minutiae?

It is so abundantly clear that the ABR is essentially a monopoly on board certification and as such is almost entirely unresponsive to member needs.

“What do people want?” Here’s another question: have you even observed what’s happened in the last few years? Stop being a shill.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
What do people want? How about an accrediting organization that actually cares about its members?

How about an organization that either arranged a virtual test, delays the test, or adds an extra year of eligibility for those who elect not to take it this year?

How about an organization that doesn’t fail approximately half a class on the basis of non-clinically relevant minutiae?

It is so abundantly clear that the ABR is essentially a monopoly on board certification and as such is almost entirely unresponsive to member needs.

“What do people want?” Here’s another question: have you even observed what’s happened in the last few years? Stop being a shill.

All good points.

FWIW, I'm a part of the class impacted by ABR so you're preaching to the choir. I have wasted more time than I care to share on these exams, so I can say pretty unequivocally that I'm not here to be a shill for an organization that hasn't served me or my classmates. You're right; it's a monopolistic organization that isn't responsive to member concerns. I didn't hold out any hope for video exams or tossing out oral boards for this very fact. Personally, I had assumed that there would be a new date and/or the option to take it in 2021.

As it turns out, I'm also in the same boat as metallica81788. Continuing to study through Fall (assuming that is the date) while all of this other stuff is going on is, well, not ideal. I'm on the fence about putting it off until May 2021.

I can’t even imagine what you guys are feeling but take my advice with a grain of salt. Just take the test and try to get it over with and behind you. Even if you fail or conditioned, you have gained experience and get a feel for what it’s all about.

A year is a long time to have to wait for another opportunity to be done with everything.
Even if you do fail, nobody would fault you as this has been a crazy year for you guys to go on top of your rad bio/physics year.

Stay strong #2019!

I DON'T WANT TO STUDY FOR 6 MORE MONTHS ONLY TO HAVE THIS CANCELLED AGAIN. F this ****.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Wow.

My wife and I CAREFULLY and PURPOSELY planned to have a baby after oral boards. Baby is due in August. Now there's no way I'm going to be able to study for this stupid test on top of running a practice, on top of COVID, on top of a taking care of a newborn. As much as I want to get this test over with ASAP, I'm probably going to be taking this in May 2021. F*#$!

Sad how much our lives revolve around these tests. THREE tests. THREE times our life stops to study for it. There was a time in rad onc when after being hazed with three board exams, you would at least be happy in a good job. Now your prize is a ****ty job market. Hah!

• Angry
  • Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Wow.

My wife and I CAREFULLY and PURPOSELY planned to have a baby after oral boards. Baby is due in August. Now there's no way I'm going to be able to study for this stupid test on top of running a practice, on top of COVID, on top of a taking care of a newborn. As much as I want to get this test over with ASAP, I'm probably going to be taking this in May 2021. F*#$!

Sad how much our lives revolve around these tests. THREE tests. THREE times our life stops to study for it. There was a time in rad onc when after being hazed with three board exams, you would at least be happy in a good job. Now your prize is a ****ty job market. Hah!

My partner and I are in the same boat, though I just haven't gotten pregnant yet cuz I'm old and I waited to have a kid until after this exam!

• Sad
  • Haha
My partner and I are in the same boat, though I just haven't gotten pregnant yet cuz I'm old and I waited to have a kid until after this exam!

Yay, more delayed gratification!!!

• Haha
  • Okay...
Not wrong. The growth of rad oncs has been linear, but there have been non-linear decreases in rad onc workloads. So it feels exponential. Should try and update graph based on estimated COVID-19 decreases to rad onc workloads. But I've seen no guesses/data. However if the decreases in national economic output transfer over in any way to decreases in rad onc workloads it will be...
There's definitely a lag... Lumpectomies, ent procedures etc have only recently been cancelled..... We will know in a month or two

We’re so slow I might just start giving out free COVID-19 testing to get patients.

Fall 2020 is a good guess on their part. Far enough away to cancel, if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Restaurants are doing it so why not?

heard from a friend in PP that they had to lock up their TP in office restroom because patients were stealing it. no more stacks in the restroom when you run out, so use carefully. Kinda like the rad onc job market, you’re SOL regardless on the toilet seat

Last edited:
  • Haha
Fall 2020 is a good guess on their part. Far enough away to cancel, if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There shouldn't be a need to reschedule again when you reschedule a large event. I want to get this thing over with but May 2021 was the safest decision (or making it virtual). The Olympics pushed back one year. The NFL draft will happen remotely. Other oral boards (larger specialties than ours) can be held virtually.

Remember there is an element of timing and peaking in studying and another change of date will screw people over a second time.

They should just make it virtual/online in October if they don't want to lose a year.

Reactions: 3 users

"We pledge to remain flexible and responsive to candidate needs, and we appreciate everyone’s patience as all of us go through this journey together. Our profession is important in this battle, and we must ensure that candidates from our four specialties are prepared to play a role in resolving this issue and others in the future."

It's almost like they could, I don't know, ask the people who are taking the exams what they want to do. Are we not 'stakeholders'?

• Haha

"We pledge to remain flexible and responsive to candidate needs, and we appreciate everyone’s patience as all of us go through this journey together. Our profession is important in this battle, and we must ensure that candidates from our four specialties are prepared to play a role in resolving this issue and others in the future."

That's from the Onion, right?

The ABR is rumored to be sending masks to examinees over the next few weeks. They will be announcing a deal with the Chinese for absolutely guaranteed beautiful amazing very efficient KN95 masks. When asked for further comment the ABR replied with a joint statement signed by Paul Wallner and Lisa Kachnich dismissing the rumors. Later a trusted anonymous source suggested that perhaps only programs with more than six residents would receive masks as anything smaller did not exist and if they did are not worth saving. An email asking Paul Wallner for clarification went unanswered. Lisa Kachnich’s assistant replied that she was too busy making herself senior author on Hippocampal avoidance papers and re-learning CNS to comment further. She will now be focusing on the other end.

stay tuned folks!These are very fluid leaky times!

• Haha
At some of the low end programs, the attendings are stealing masks from residents.

Stay safe

• Wow
  • Haha