RO-APM Podcast Episode (from The Accelerators)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're generating a quality 4DCT itv on an n3 lung? Again it's not been my experience that they move a ton and waveforms are pretty crappy because these patients are sick with irregular breathing patterns. Free breathing, end inspiration/expiration scans are another option btw, and not a bad one when the 4DCT isn't happening

I mean it doesn't skip or have artifact. I'm not asking patients to do breath hold, yes that can be an issue, but no, I have not seen 4DCTs, even in patients on supplemental O2, not be not useful.

For subcarinal nodes, do 7 mm CTV expansion and then add 5 - 8 mm to arrive at your PTV. Save 4DCT for those bored academics
7mm geometric expansion on subcarinal LNs goes into espohagus and heart. If you crop out of those stuctures, without 4D, then how do you know if you're underdosing? 8mm PTV to 'make up' for it is (IMO) 3mm too much into heart and esophagus.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean it doesn't skip or have artifact. I'm not asking patients to do breath hold, yes that can be an issue, but no, I have not seen 4DCTs, even in patients on supplemental O2, not be not useful.
If a patient has a fairly irregular breathing pattern, it can cause a fair amount of artifact and our physicists don't feel comfortable planning on it. Often these patients are very sick, on O2, sometimes with an svc syndrome or bad dyspnea from tumor. If a pt is coming in with bulky svc/upper mediastinal nodes, they don't move that much in my experience and the 4D is overkill. It's most helpful for parenchyma, not nodes and certainly not upper mediastinal/scv nodes.

Last edited:
For these bulky stage III types I typically get 4D, view it in cine to get an impression of movement, and then make a judgement call on what to do/contour on. We have a <1 year old scanner tricked out with all the bells and whistles, but I agree that the image quality on both individual phases and particularly on a MIP is typically quite degraded for reasons mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
People will often prefer not to know than to know. They do “fine” so why care about anything folks!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
People will often prefer not to know than to know. They do “fine” so why care about anything folks!

Don't ask, don't tell. if you don't know this rule, you are not an oncologist

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah that and “if it happens in the dark its cool” is a big down low rule for rad onc grift

Reactions: 1 user
Being anti 4D CT is crazy, lazy, or a sign of not good physics imho for curative lung patients. This was the main point of the Accelerators APM podcast right?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Being anti 4D CT is crazy, lazy, or a sign of not good physics imho for curative lung patients. This was the main point of the Accelerators APM podcast right?
Hmm … I don’t think that’s what we were getting at.

• Haha
So many move the meat practices operate like this:

4dct? Not needed
Full time physics and dosimetry? Not needed
Full time supervision? Not needed
Grift? Absolutely folks!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

4dct? Not needed
Grift? Absolutely folks!
And PPS exempt practices doing the exact opposite and then some. Minus the grift of course.

Meat can marinate when you are charging six figures for protons and five figures for SBRT. Financial toxicity, folks! Stay woke or go broke

Last edited:
  • Haha

4dct? Not needed
Grift? Absolutely folks!

Prophylactic feeding tubes : NEEDED!

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
I summon willful ignorance every time I treat a tumor that looks like it is invading a major vessel. “Maybe it’s just volume-slice averaging”

Lol! Not even addressed in the podcast! You guys are awesome !
Trying to drag this thread back to its intent: Simul, any chance you guys can do a follow-up episode on APM, specifically with Adler or Hubbard or Luh, with the release of the final ruling?

As has been talked about now for a couple years across scattered threads, I would love to hear if ASTRO/ACRO/ACR etc ever pressed CMS about their decision to essentially build a model with "pro bono" radiation services. There was nothing I could find in the final ruling about it.

To clarify what I mean for people just catching up on APM (and written for the lurkers who might be medical students or docs from other specialties, because I think this is confusing to a lot of people): a common scenario is for a patient with metastatic cancer to be referred to us for palliation. Hypothetically, let's say a woman with newly diagnosed metastatic lung cancer, with mets only to bone. She presents with a lytic lesion in her left femur which causes her significant pain. MedOnc wants us to zap it for pain relief while they get things in place to start systemic treatment. Most of us would treat it with 1-10 fractions, either 3D or SBRT, and from seeing us in consult to completing treatment, she would be "done" for this bone met in 1-3 weeks, and then go on to systemic treatment with MedOnc.

Currently, this is billed to Medicare as FFS (fee-for-service), where each step along the way has a code, each code is submitted to CMS, and each code is reimbursed for a specific dollar amount. This reimbursement is split into a "professional fee" (pro fee) and a "technical fee". To grossly over simplify, if this patient is being treated by a RadOnc in private practice, the pro fee goes to the doctor and the technical fee goes to the hospital.

Let's say we're super efficient and she's done with radiation to the femur lesion in 1 week from consult to completing treatment. 5 weeks later she develops acute aphasia and a brain MRI is obtained. It shows 2 new small lesions in the brain. For the sake of argument, she doesn't have any actionable mutations so we can't use a CNS-penetrant drug. MedOnc refers her back to use for SRS. We re-consult and treat her with SRS, and she's treated with 1-5 fractions. Again, from start to finish, she could be done in 1-3 weeks.

The brain treatment is also billed fee-for-service, so for every step in her care, the doctor and hospital are reimbursed for their work.

In this hypothetical scenario, this patient has received two different treatments to two different anatomical locations. From the first consult to the end of the second treatment, this all took place in no more than ~65 days.

Under APM this would be totally different. Using this same timeline, when the patient starts the treatment planning process for the bone met, it triggers the "Bone Met" episode of care. That means no matter what type of treatment you choose to do, you're getting reimbursed a flat amount (still split into a professional and technical component). That episode is 90 days in length, and covers any and all radiation services delivered in those 90 days.

So, when that patient comes back for the brain mets 5 weeks after the bone treatment (and 6 weeks after first consult), absolutely none of that work is reimbursed. Even though this second course of treatment has nothing to do with the femur treatment, and is completely new and requires significant effort by the entire Radiation Oncology team - it doesn't matter.

Well, I shouldn't say it doesn't matter entirely. CMS has decided in these instances of two (or more) treatments delivered in one 90 day window to different sites, it will graciously reimburse the doctor and hospital for whichever one has the higher flat rate (at least that's my understanding).

Now, a counter argument might be that this situation isn't common enough that this will matter. However, looking at the patients who received radiation treatment at my hospital this month, I would estimate that maybe 2-5% of patients would be described in this scenario. Is that a low number? Sure. But I picked the SRS case example because that's often what happens in this era of oligomets and hyper-precise radiation therapy. Metastatic patients are doing well, living longer, and coming to us for "spot welding" stubborn lesions.

Treating oligomets with SBRT and SRS requires significant manpower and expertise, and can have prolonged treatment times which means that other patients aren't getting treated, which can have additional downstream effects. As it is written, APM means all of this work would be done pro bono.

You might still be thinking eh, 2-5%, whatever dude, eat the costs. While 2-5% at any individual site might be a small number, multiply this across the system. For just this forced experimental period, there's somewhere between 900-1000 sites. That's a potentially tremendous amount of complex medicine being delivered by thousands of highly skilled professionals using millions of dollars in advanced technology for free.

EVEN IF this is an uncommon scenario, this will invariably alter how medicine is practiced, to the potential detriment to the patient. Perhaps, for our hypothetical woman with metastatic lung cancer, when the MedOnc tries to get her back in for the new brain lesions, the RadOnc clinic is "too booked up to get her scheduled", and she is pushed out several weeks till a new episode can be triggered (or FFS can be billed in the 28 day washout period). Maybe when MedOnc tries to make the referral, the patient is instead discussed at Tumor Board again and it is strongly recommended they try some sort of agent with dubious CNS penetrance before going to SRS. Maybe she is seen by RadOnc, and the lesions are small, and she is scheduled for short interval follow-up to "let the lesions declare themselves, maybe it's just an old infarct" or "the lesions are too small to be targeted safely right now".

It would be one thing if the patient developed some sort of side effect from the femur radiation, which required her to have a few follow-up appointments with some prescriptions or something, and all of that would be considered part of the flat episode reimbursement. It's entirely different to say that literally any and all radiation services delivered in a 90-day window will get one reimbursement, if those services include entirely new lesions with entirely new treatments.

That makes absolutely no sense, unless the government wants to incentivize delays in repeat courses of radiation treatment, which would likely cause MedOnc to prescribe more Keytruda or Opdivo to manage patients in those delays, meaning Merck and Bristol Myers Squibb make more money, so they can pay their lobbyists more and...oh wait, I get it now.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Trying to drag this thread back to its intent: Simul, any chance you guys can do a follow-up episode on APM, specifically with Adler or Hubbard or Luh, with the release of the final ruling?

As has been talked about now for a couple years across scattered threads, I would love to hear if ASTRO/ACRO/ACR etc ever pressed CMS about their decision to essentially build a model with "pro bono" radiation services. There was nothing I could find in the final ruling about it.

To clarify what I mean for people just catching up on APM (and written for the lurkers who might be medical students or docs from other specialties, because I think this is confusing to a lot of people): a common scenario is for a patient with metastatic cancer to be referred to us for palliation. Hypothetically, let's say a woman with newly diagnosed metastatic lung cancer, with mets only to bone. She presents with a lytic lesion in her left femur which causes her significant pain. MedOnc wants us to zap it for pain relief while they get things in place to start systemic treatment. Most of us would treat it with 1-10 fractions, either 3D or SBRT, and from seeing us in consult to completing treatment, she would be "done" for this bone met in 1-3 weeks, and then go on to systemic treatment with MedOnc.

Currently, this is billed to Medicare as FFS (fee-for-service), where each step along the way has a code, each code is submitted to CMS, and each code is reimbursed for a specific dollar amount. This reimbursement is split into a "professional fee" (pro fee) and a "technical fee". To grossly over simplify, if this patient is being treated by a RadOnc in private practice, the pro fee goes to the doctor and the technical fee goes to the hospital.

Let's say we're super efficient and she's done with radiation to the femur lesion in 1 week from consult to completing treatment. 5 weeks later she develops acute aphasia and a brain MRI is obtained. It shows 2 new small lesions in the brain. For the sake of argument, she doesn't have any actionable mutations so we can't use a CNS-penetrant drug. MedOnc refers her back to use for SRS. We re-consult and treat her with SRS, and she's treated with 1-5 fractions. Again, from start to finish, she could be done in 1-3 weeks.

The brain treatment is also billed fee-for-service, so for every step in her care, the doctor and hospital are reimbursed for their work.

In this hypothetical scenario, this patient has received two different treatments to two different anatomical locations. From the first consult to the end of the second treatment, this all took place in no more than ~65 days.

Under APM this would be totally different. Using this same timeline, when the patient starts the treatment planning process for the bone met, it triggers the "Bone Met" episode of care. That means no matter what type of treatment you choose to do, you're getting reimbursed a flat amount (still split into a professional and technical component). That episode is 90 days in length, and covers any and all radiation services delivered in those 90 days.

So, when that patient comes back for the brain mets 5 weeks after the bone treatment (and 6 weeks after first consult), absolutely none of that work is reimbursed. Even though this second course of treatment has nothing to do with the femur treatment, and is completely new and requires significant effort by the entire Radiation Oncology team - it doesn't matter.

Well, I shouldn't say it doesn't matter entirely. CMS has decided in these instances of two (or more) treatments delivered in one 90 day window to different sites, it will graciously reimburse the doctor and hospital for whichever one has the higher flat rate (at least that's my understanding).

Now, a counter argument might be that this situation isn't common enough that this will matter. However, looking at the patients who received radiation treatment at my hospital this month, I would estimate that maybe 2-5% of patients would be described in this scenario. Is that a low number? Sure. But I picked the SRS case example because that's often what happens in this era of oligomets and hyper-precise radiation therapy. Metastatic patients are doing well, living longer, and coming to us for "spot welding" stubborn lesions.

Treating oligomets with SBRT and SRS requires significant manpower and expertise, and can have prolonged treatment times which means that other patients aren't getting treated, which can have additional downstream effects. As it is written, APM means all of this work would be done pro bono.

You might still be thinking eh, 2-5%, whatever dude, eat the costs. While 2-5% at any individual site might be a small number, multiply this across the system. For just this forced experimental period, there's somewhere between 900-1000 sites. That's a potentially tremendous amount of complex medicine being delivered by thousands of highly skilled professionals using millions of dollars in advanced technology for free.

EVEN IF this is an uncommon scenario, this will invariably alter how medicine is practiced, to the potential detriment to the patient. Perhaps, for our hypothetical woman with metastatic lung cancer, when the MedOnc tries to get her back in for the new brain lesions, the RadOnc clinic is "too booked up to get her scheduled", and she is pushed out several weeks till a new episode can be triggered (or FFS can be billed in the 28 day washout period). Maybe when MedOnc tries to make the referral, the patient is instead discussed at Tumor Board again and it is strongly recommended they try some sort of agent with dubious CNS penetrance before going to SRS. Maybe she is seen by RadOnc, and the lesions are small, and she is scheduled for short interval follow-up to "let the lesions declare themselves, maybe it's just an old infarct" or "the lesions are too small to be targeted safely right now".

It would be one thing if the patient developed some sort of side effect from the femur radiation, which required her to have a few follow-up appointments with some prescriptions or something, and all of that would be considered part of the flat episode reimbursement. It's entirely different to say that literally any and all radiation services delivered in a 90-day window will get one reimbursement, if those services include entirely new lesions with entirely new treatments.

That makes absolutely no sense, unless the government wants to incentivize delays in repeat courses of radiation treatment, which would likely cause MedOnc to prescribe more Keytruda or Opdivo to manage patients in those delays, meaning Merck and Bristol Myers Squibb make more money, so they can pay their lobbyists more and...oh wait, I get it now.
Treating sequential bone mets in my practice is more than 2-5%. Guessing 10-15% curious if this could form the basis of a lawsuit against the gov?

Treating sequential bone mets in my practice is more than 2-5%. Guessing 10-15% curious if this could form the basis of a lawsuit against the gov?
With the right lawyers anything is possible.

I'd like to imagine, during discovery in some future lawsuit, emails are uncovered that read:

"Ok, we've spent the last 10 years cutting their reimbursements, and now we'll reimburse them an even lower flat rate for each episode. But it's not enough - have you seen how much [redacted drug] costs these days? [redacted] also just got a new beach house he needs to pay the mortgage on and is really breathing down my neck. What other strategies can we try?"

"What if, now hear me out - what if we just...not reimburse them? Like, write it so there's a decent chance we can make them treat patients for free."

"...brilliant! You really learned something from those seminars we sent you to in Hawaii. I see you're wearing the Rolex from [redacted], it looks good!"

With an anderson crony at the helm, we know the purpose of APM folks!

All to save an amount of money so small and insignificant to the federal government it is absolutely meaningless.

All to save an amount of money so small and insignificant to the federal government it is absolutely meaningless.
This is it. Meaningless.
I held out hope it wouldn’t happen

With an anderson crony at the helm, we know the purpose of APM folks!
Aileen Chen has no shame w/fraction shaming despite charging the highest prices in the world and pushing protons for lung. Few docs in the field are more responsible for present financial toxicity in radonc. She implicitly criticizes others for using imrt and extended fractionation, while she personally out charges them! Charges more for palliative than every single radonc in the USA except for her Anderson colleagues.

Last edited:

now you get it man! welcome to the democratic party!

I hope you never whine about 'welfare' or 'govt leeches'!

At least k
Keytruda takes the cake. Proton therapy/IMRT by exempt centres is not even close
At least Keytruda improving OS unlike protons and Keytruda will be generic soon enough (2028). So at least the payor is getting an expensive something out of Keytruda instead of an expensive nothing out of protons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
At least k

At least Keytruda improving OS unlike protons and Keytruda will be generic soon enough.
I agree but make sure you stay alive and dont self flagellate too much. The best thing that could happen to our fortunes are that we hit gold with a new tech like IMRT was for the old timers over 50.

i wish rad onc could shape a Democratic spending bill (very sad face emoji)

Pharmaceutical industry likely to shatter its lobbying record as it works to shape Democrats’ spending bill

I agree but make sure you stay alive and dont self flagellate too much. The best thing that could happen to our fortunes are that we hit gold with a new tech like IMRT was for the old timers over 50.
Won’t ever happen again. Truly sui generis IMHO. This would be like saying there will be another Motown (Four Tops, Smokey, Stevie Wonder, Supremes, Michael Jackson, Temptations, etc!).

i wish rad onc could shape a Democratic spending bill (very sad face emoji)

Pharmaceutical industry likely to shatter its lobbying record as it works to shape Democrats’ spending bill

Won’t ever happen again. Truly sui generis IMHO. This would be like saying there will be another Motown (Four Tops, Smokey, Stevie Wonder, Supremes, Michael Jackson, Temptations, etc!).
They know what's coming. Would be an epic change if it it does come to pass. VA has been negotiating on drug prices with big pharma for years now

From the article:

1636201322220.png

Hmmm, I haven't heard about anyone going to bat for RadOnc like this. Of course, there's not many in industry who could. Let's see what Varian is doing:

1636201488152.png

Oh good, if you hire their contractors or buy their EMR system, they can help you! But what about the "Varian Grassroots Portal" at the top?

1636201542561.png

Oh well, guess we gave up.

The cuts from APM, and the money that CMS is trying to keep away from RadOnc, does NOT mean that projected $150-160 million is just not going to be spent. It will go elsewhere. PhRMA and the American Action Network will make sure of that.

• Haha
From the article:

View attachment 345425

Hmmm, I haven't heard about anyone going to bat for RadOnc like this. Of course, there's not many in industry who could. Let's see what Varian is doing:

View attachment 345426

Oh good, if you hire their contractors or buy their EMR system, they can help you! But what about the "Varian Grassroots Portal" at the top?

View attachment 345427

Oh well, guess we gave up.

The cuts from APM, and the money that CMS is trying to keep away from RadOnc, does NOT mean that projected $150-160 million is just not going to be spent. It will go elsewhere. PhRMA and the American Action Network will make sure of that.
Just recently heard that Varian actually will charge you about $100K for its RO-APM Aria EHR add-on

• Wow
Any idea if it will be mandatory to get this "add on" for compliance with APM?

put it this way. if you dont get it, about 3 years from now, youll be awoken up by the FBI knocking on your door on a Saturday morning

and remember, its like i always say, when the FBI comes a knocking, don't run, it's already too late, they got you dead to rights.

the fbi doesnt miss

Any idea if it will be mandatory to get this "add on" for compliance with APM?

Won't be mandatory per say I think but if you don't have the Varian or Elekta solution it will probably make your like a lot harder with the appropriate documentation and reporting. Unfortunately, as has been said multiple times on here, the government hasn't really even shown anyone where/what/how to enter the information they want, so we are banking on the Varian/Elekta solution platform to hopefully address all that. Sadly I am not super optimistic about these "solutions" either...

Won't be mandatory per say I think but if you don't have the Varian or Elekta solution it will probably make your like a lot harder with the appropriate documentation and reporting. Unfortunately, as has been said multiple times on here, the government hasn't really even shown anyone where/what/how to enter the information they want, so we are banking on the Varian/Elekta solution platform to hopefully address all that. Sadly I am not super optimistic about these "solutions" either...
Another unfunded mandate!

• Haha
Worse, actually. Pay cut accompanying this one!
APM is really the ultimate unholy trifecta of a federal mandate:

1. Reimbursement is cut
2. Linac manufacturers squeeze you financially for a "mandatory" software update
3. Administrators and physicians run to consultants to try and decipher what the hell CMS really wants which costs $$$

#radoncrocks

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
APM is really the ultimate unholy trifecta of a federal mandate:

1. Reimbursement is cut
2. Linac manufacturers squeeze you financially for a "mandatory" software update
3. Administrators and physicians run to consultants to try and decipher what the hell CMS really wants which costs $$$

#radoncrocks
the apm will inject much needed vitality into the field and medstudents should be excited to join

• Haha
  • Love
the apm will inject much needed vitality into the field and medstudents should be excited to join
Will be very sad to see minorities, women and everyone who was gaslight into believing concerns are just sdn croc and gator and many other trolls (wallruses, frogs etc) and then they see reality in 5 years when A job,if any, is available 400 miles away from family in middle of nowhere with zero negotiating power. You were warned folks!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Will be very sad to see minorities, women and everyone who was gaslight into believing concerns are just sdn croc and gator and many other trolls (wallruses, frogs etc) and then they see reality in 5 years when A job,if any, is available 400 miles away from family in middle of nowhere with zero negotiating power. You were warned folks!
Don't forget the ASTROnauts. They're trying to warn med students with the fake news that the APM is bad. Trollin' hard.

some of the gorillas have been called LIARS as well.

• Haha
Not sure they see a contradiction in arguing that apm is devastating to field, but the future is great for medstudents especially minorities.
They don't "see" it like all the subjects in the kingdom "saw" that the naked emperor was fully clothed. Especially the emperor's advisors. They thought his clothes were the most beautiful of all.

7g9jpQK.png

And they will tell med students "Rad onc salaries are increasing over time." Only in our specialty does reimbursement go down and salaries go up. (And the people believing this will be the next generation of rad oncs.)

• Sad
im all for advocacy but does it seem silly to anyone else when we (all docs in all fields say this in their advocacy for sure) say that patients will be the ones that suffer? has that ever actually borne out? or do regulators/congressional staffers see that and say 'they all say that.....'

just curious

And they will tell med students "Rad onc salaries are increasing over time." Only in our specialty does reimbursement go down and salaries go up. (And the people believing this will be the next generation of rad oncs.)

well i mean it just means docs see more patients to maintain salary. happens in all procedural fields. I talked to an old GI doc once who complained he had to do twice as many scopes as he did 20 years ago to maintain salary

well i mean it just means docs see more patients to maintain salary. happens in all procedural fields. I talked to an old GI doc once who complained he had to do twice as many scopes as he did 20 years ago to maintain salary
Infinite supply of pts for a primary care or GI to see. A lot of radoncs only seeing 3 new pts/week and will get worse.

This is very true too. I was talking to a young rad onc recently saying that he sees at least 300 new patients a year. There was a time that this could get you well into the 12000+ RVU range. Now it only gets you close to 9000 evidently. This revelation actually kind of worried me a little. And this young rad onc, by seeing 300 new patients a year, is definitely upper 25%ile busy.