RO APM Dies!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It has been said that the RO APM is suspected dead. A new proposed rule which appeared in office of budget and management might suggest it is a cancellation before it is made public. Need to follow this folks but yuge if true.
Will it be dead like PORT in N2 lung is dead or dead like Ethyol in rad onc is dead. That is the question. Either way don’t f*** with the proton gang they will shiv you.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Will it be dead like PORT in N2 lung is dead or dead like Ethyol in rad onc is dead. That is the question. Either way don’t f*** with the proton gang they will shiv you.

From what I hear, some community rad oncs are so happy they’re even considering sending some kids to proton!

Considering.

• Haha
Dead like a tailess rigor mortis possum on side of road in the heat of Georgia. If you talked to a proton person they assured you an exception or death of APM was a sure thing, despite signs of the contrary at the time. At that time, this was either proton arrogance or they knew something. Turns out proton lobby is very very powerful and saved the field. The fix was in all along. So the real question is Does anybody love protons more than community rad onc now?

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
This is really quite a storyline

Other than hearsay from noCal, any corroboration ?

Reactions: 1 user
This is really quite a storyline

Other than hearsay from noCal, any corroboration ?
Nobody will ever be able to tell you how the sausage was made,exactly. What you know is you like the sausage so you dont care how it was made.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Not to beat a dead horse, but PORT is certainly not dead everywhere.

If you have 50%+ LN positivity, or ECE in my tumor board, you’re probably going to get (offered) PORT

Reactions: 1 user
Dead like a tailess rigor mortis possum on side of road in the heat of Georgia. If you talked to a proton person they assured you an exception or death of APM was a sure thing, despite signs of the contrary at the time. At that time, this was either proton arrogance or they knew something. Turns out proton lobby is very very powerful and saved the field. The fix was in all along. So the real question is Does anybody love protons more than community rad onc now?
1646786125124.gif

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
The PET scan on APM looked totally negative in November after CMS gave it some SBRT. Now it’s metting out everywhere. It’s been in hospice and the family is calling the chaplain today. Thoughts and prayers.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to take this opportunity to give a impassioned FU to Alex Azar.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I'd like to take this opportunity to give a impassioned FU to Alex Azar.

Alex Azar the drugstore cowboy! Alex blame the high cost of HC on Rad Onc Azar.

Guess he will just have to go back to lobbying full time preventing Medicare from negotiating drug prices LOL.

Reactions: 5 users
So I should cancel my Brocade order?

• Haha
Ah, so much time and energy from thousands of people have gone into examining and/or preparing for this model for years. Effort that could have gone into, perhaps, patient care?

Are we really anything but hamsters running frantically on a wheel, our white coats gallantly flapping in the breeze, giving everything we have to tasks which ultimately lead nowhere?

1646887195052.png

Reactions: 3 users
Ah, so much time and energy from thousands of people have gone into examining and/or preparing for this model for years. Effort that could have gone into, perhaps, patient care?

Are we really anything but hamsters running frantically on a wheel, our white coats gallantly flapping in the breeze, giving everything we have to tasks which ultimately lead nowhere?

View attachment 351574

Seems to be the hallmark of academic rad onc at the moment. It’s no surprise the halls of govt work in a similar fashion

While we are on the topic. Think if the thousands or hundreds of thousands of wasted human labor hours among med students, residents, attendings, support staff churning out meaningless paper after paper all for the purpose of padding a CV or getting a letter of rec. i mean I would assume these people could have been doing something more creative prospective taking risks furthering out modality right? Maybe I’m wrong.

Reactions: 6 users
It’s dead. Don’t worry about it for now!

Reactions: 2 users
Santa Clause. The Easter Bunny. RO APM. Voluntary price cuts on proton therapy. I hate to disappoint anyone, but none of these are or ever will be real. Despite what the supposed “grown ups” in your life want you to think.

ASTRO:

"The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services today delayed the Radiation Oncology Alternative Payment Model start date from January 1, 2023, to a date to be determined through future rulemaking. ASTRO remains hopeful that during this process, CMS also makes the adjustments recommended by Congress and the broad coalition of stakeholders within the radiation oncology community as we remain concerned that the model in its current form is too punitive for clinics. We remain committed to value-based care in radiation oncology. We believe that the modifications proposed by ASTRO and the radiation oncology community will ensure successful participation among physicians and facilities and produce significant savings for the Medicare program. We continue to believe that episodic payments for radiation therapy services have great potential to improve quality and equity while reducing cancer care costs, and we will continue to advocate for proposals that achieve these goals.”