RO APM Dies!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get a load of this. "Citizen: your participation in RO-APM is your choice, but choosing not to may come with a big hassle." Orwell was well ahead of his time:

Throughout the spring and summer they worked a sixty-hour week, and in August Napoleon announced that there would be work on Sunday afternoons as well. This work was strictly voluntary, but any animal who absented himself from it would have his rations reduced by half.

V3YYhzN.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I can confirm, have spoken to a few people “in the know” now pp and academics, growing whispers of a possible proton exception in the works. Fake news? Maybe? Maybe not? We’ll see what happens!

• Angry
  • Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
I can confirm, have spoken to a few people “in the know” now pp and academics, growing whispers of a possible proton exception in the works. Fake news? Maybe? Maybe not? We’ll see what happens!
**** off with this ****. I hate the leadership of this specialty.

You want a proton exception for pediatrics, chordoma, or ocular melanoma? You got it. Prostate? You had a decade or two to generate data and you failed. Magnificently. Eat from the same trough.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hearing the same chatter and I'm pretty sure I know who spurred this on.

The leadership isn't weak. They're very cunning and well connected but apathetic to the plight of the common folk in the specialty.

"Let them eat cake"

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Can we get it to where if they put a proton exemption all the places that treated prostate with protons have to give back the money difference when the randomized trial is negative? That might save us another 1 month of herceptin costs over 5 years.

#skininthegame

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
The public side of ASTRO advocacy says nothing about proton exemption. The letter linked from today's ASTROgram says nothing about protons. It emphasizes delaying implementation (to July 1, 2021) and limiting payment cuts. If protons are subsequently "exempted" then there is no evidence that ASTRO argued for this (at least publicly).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
To be fair, ASTRO couldn’t argue its way out of a wet paper bag. Gotta have deeper pockets to buy the right people.

This is just wild speculation but I suspect that a significant chunk of the cost savings to CMS from the RO APM comes from reducing the outrageous technical fees for protons. If that is thrown out, then what's the point?

• Haha
This is just wild speculation but I suspect that a significant chunk of the cost savings to CMS from the RO APM comes from reducing the outrageous technical fees for protons. If that is thrown out, then what's the point?

Only $230M in savings over 5 years - what's the point anyway?

When all is said and done, Astro much more concerned about exempting protons than job market.

For the record, ASTRO does not care about protons. NAPT, however, that's another story. And there's some big industry money there. However, at this point, there is not that much confidence that protons will be exempted. Many pro formas are being re-written as we speak.

• Haha
FROM THE ABS:
Impact of Final Alternative Payment Model "RO Model" on Brachytherapy
Mitchell Kamrava, MD
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center

On September 18, 2020, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation Center issued final rules for the Radiation Oncology Alternative Payment Model (RO Model), anticipated to go into effect January 1, 2021. The purpose of the RO Model is to determine if prospective 90-day episode-based payments will reduce Medicare healthcare expenditures while maintaining or enhancing quality of care. This is part of a larger mission to move our healthcare system away from fee for service and towards value-based medicine.

The final RO Model estimates it will save $230M over a 5-year period. To achieve this, the model requires 30% of radiation oncology episodes in pre-selected Core Based Statistical Areas (CBSAs) to participate in the model. It’s estimated this will include 500 physician group practices (PGPs) of which 275 are freestanding and 450 Hospital Outpatient Departments (HOPDs). CMS anticipates, on average, the RO Model will reduce Medicare FFS payments to PGPs by 6 percent and Medicare FFS to HOPDs by 4.7 percent. CMS estimates that the overall revenue impact for those participating in the RO Model will be less than 1 percent, given this only impacts Medicare FFS beneficiaries.

The full impact of the proposed RO Model will not be realized until many years after its implementation. Resources are being made available to assist practices preparing for the impending changes. There will be 16 disease sites included in the model.

Key policies in the RO Model that will impact brachytherapy include:
1) Brachytherapy sources will be bundled into the 90-day episode of payment
2) The brachytherapy applicator insertion codes listed below will be included in the bundled payment:
a. 57155 – Insertion of uterine tandem and/or vaginal ovoids for clinical brachytherapy
b. 57156 – preparing a patient and inserting and securing the vaginal applicator. It also includes the removal of the applicator after the procedure has been completed.
c. 55920 – Placement of needles of catheters into pelvic organs and/or genitalia (except prostate) for subsequent interstitial radioelement application
d. 53846 – Insertion of Heyman capsules for clinical brachytherapy
3) The brachytherapy applicator insertion codes listed below will be excluded from the RO Model:
a. 19296 – Breast brachytherapy balloon catheter placement
b. 19298 – Breast brachytherapy tube and button catheter placement
c. 20555 – Placement needles/catheters into muscle and/or soft tissue for subsequent interstitial radioelement application
d. 41019 – Placement needles/catheters into head and/or neck region for radioelement application
e. 55874 – Transperineal placement of biodegradable material, peri-prostatic, single or multiple injection(s), including image guidance, when performed
f. 55875 – Transperineal placement of needles or catheters into prostate for interstitial radioelement application, with or without cystoscopy
4) Brachytherapy needles (C1715) and catheters (C1728) are excluded from the RO Model
5) Electronic brachytherapy is excluded from the RO Model
6) Intraoperative radiation (IORT) and IORT management (77424, 77425, and 77469) are excluded from the RO Model
7) Ytrrium-90 as a radiopharmaceutical is excluded from the RO Model
8) An adjustment for multiple modalities that include brachytherapy (and EBRT) are not going to be accommodated. CMS will provide billing guidance to RO Model participants when separate providers deliver EBRT and brachytherapy services.
9) An estimated 83% of RO Model participants will qualify for Qualified Participant status, and would be eligible for a 5% incentive bonus payment on the professional component of each bundled payment
10) CMS’ reanalysis of the payment methodology did lead to increases in reimbursement for the professional and technical component for the included disease sites

The ABS SEC committee is gravely concerned that many of the requested changes to the RO Model from ABS’ previous comment letter and previous discussions with CMS have largely been ignored. ABS remains concerned regarding the potential negative impact this model may have on certain vulnerable patient populations, including cervical cancer patients. We have submitted additional questions and clarification to CMS, in another comment letter, regarding payment for multi-modal episodes (i.e. those episodes of care with multiple radiation oncology providers, some of who may be in and out of the model). We will provide more clarification regarding these episodes and payment processing for combined modality treatments as more information becomes available. We will also provide additional information on the payment methodology. We are working diligently to continue advocating for ABS members and, most importantly, for our patients to continue having access to brachytherapy as a life-saving treatment.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm so prostate brachy is not in the model? So prostate brachy boost is still alive? But the one that's more necessary, cervical brachy boost, is going to take a huge paycut?

• Wow
Hmm so prostate brachy is not in the model? So prostate brachy boost is still alive? But the one that's more necessary, cervical brachy boost, is going to take a huge paycut?
Wonder how it works if you get that tandem and ring kit that has ability to add interstitial needles

My take is, and I could be wrong, we have some codes which are "off Broadway" (sometimes) to rad oncs, like putting balloons in breasts or needles in prostates. The physicians that get paid for those (surgeons, urologists) will still get paid. Then we have some codes (ie 55xxx codes) like T&O insertion which rad oncs almost always do. That will be bundled in with the "episode." You'll get your 10K for prostate brachy or whatever, and the urologist will get to bill for needle insertion without a problem. But for cerv brachy, there will be no separate FFS coding for T&O insertions etc. The boost is alive... but only for the urologist. The rad onc will make no more, or no less (I guess once you factor time & effort, will make less).

My take is, and I could be wrong, we have some codes which are "off Broadway" (sometimes) to rad oncs, like putting balloons in breasts or needles in prostates. The physicians that get paid for those (surgeons, urologists) will still get paid. Then we have some codes (ie 55xxx codes) like T&O insertion which rad oncs almost always do. That will be bundled in with the "episode." You'll get your 10K for prostate brachy or whatever, and the urologist will get to bill for needle insertion without a problem. But for cerv brachy, there will be no separate FFS coding for T&O insertions etc.

What if gyn onc helps you place first one and sutures in a Smit sleeve?

Wonder how it works if you get that tandem and ring kit that has ability to add interstitial needles

Needles in the pelvis or genitalia (excluding prostate) get bupkis per scarb's post. Only needles in non pelvic (excluding prostate) regions get paid for.

RO APM is sexist against female malignancies!!11

• Haha
Looks like Space Oar is included in the bundle payment, no?

Funny (actually infuriating) that the dermatologists and nuc med folks got themselves exempt.

• Haha
What if gyn onc helps you place first one and sutures in a Smit sleeve?
It'll be the last time it happens 'cause next time gyn onc will be like f this man

EDIT: as someone has previously noted it depends on when an episode starts. It is theoretically possible to START with brachy boosting and then do EBRT. I mean, theoretically possible billing wise, not clinically. Anyhoo. If you billed a 57155 and waited a day later to start with beam or brachy, the 57155 would not go under APM. IN THEORY. There may be computers or whatever that "see" the 57155 and say "Hey start the episode." So either way never get it paid. Will have to see how things play out. Either way, not looking good for gyn onc helping out in the OR anymore.

Last edited:
Looks like Space Oar is included in the bundle payment, no?

Funny (actually infuriating) that the dermatologists and nuc med folks got themselves exempt.

The following code is excluded from the model per scarb's post:
55874 – Transperineal placement of biodegradable material, peri-prostatic, single or multiple injection(s), including image guidance, when performed

Sounds like SpaceOAR placement to me.

The following code is excluded from the model per scarb's post:
55874 – Transperineal placement of biodegradable material, peri-prostatic, single or multiple injection(s), including image guidance, when performed

Sounds like SpaceOAR placement to me.
Sorry. I read that wrong. Saw the "included" for the first list and... well... whatever....

cost of prostate cancer treatment strategies (generally one time, curative treatments)

List Price of single dose of pembro (Know this is not apples to apples)

cost of year of non curative pembro or atezo per pt in small cell

Just save us the hassle and take 10% of our charges and transfer it to Pfizer and Merck

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
cost of prostate cancer treatment strategies (generally one time, curative treatments)

List Price of single dose of pembro (Know this is not apples to apples)

cost of year of non curative pembro or atezo per pt in small cell

Just save us the hassle and take 10% of our charges and transfer it to Pfizer and Merck

This is hilarious. A study compares pembrolizumab to an atezolizumab cocktail. Both cost >$100K per QALY. My conclusion is not that pembrolizumab is more cost effective than the cocktail, but more appropriate is that NEITHER is cost effective.

I also find it equally hilarious that the drug ads these days end with saying "if you can't afford your meds, ____(company)___ may be able to help."
Help with what??? Giving you the "COVID discount" and magnanimously give a $100 break on their drugs that cost literally a thousand times more? Give me a break.

• Haha
Could be! The urologists are always in the thick of it. Nobody cared to lobby for poor, minorities with cervical cancer? SAD.

agree. And there are definitely urologists that have monetized prostate radiation ( ebrt or brachy ). Gyn onc can’t say the same (and is smaller field)

Local carried determinations (ie IMRT LCDs, IGRT LCDs, etc) will not apply to RO APM participants anymore...
LCDs are decisions made by a Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) whether to cover a particular item or service in a MAC's jurisdiction (region) in accordance with section 1862(a)(1)(A) of the Social Security Act. The MAC's decision is based on whether the service or item is considered reasonable and necessary. The MACs will not have the ability to apply LCDs to RO Model claims because only the RO Model-specific HCPCS codes appear on the claim and these codes are not included in any current LCDs. When we monitor utilization of RT services during the Model, as described in section III.C.14.a, we will use the reasonable and necessary provisions as stated in applicable LCDs as one of our monitoring tools.

Why APM?...
Basically, "IMRT cost us a lot from 2000 to 2010. Then proton therapy took off from 2010 to 2016 because we pretty much paid a lot, and for everything, for proton tx."
In the proposed rule, we explained that Medicare expenditures for RT have increased substantially (ed note: not true! fake news! RT cost $1.52B in 2008 and $1.52B in 2018). From 2000 to 2010, for example, the volume of physician billing for radiation treatment increased 8.2 percent, while Medicare Part B spending on RT increased 216 percent.[35] Most of the increase in the 2000 to 2010 time period was due to the adoption and uptake of IMRT. From 2010 to 2016, spending and volume for PBT in FFS Medicare grew rapidly,[36] driven by a sharp increase in the number of proton beam centers and Medicare's relatively broad coverage of this treatment. While we cannot assess through claims data what caused this increase in PBT, we can monitor changes in the utilization of treatment modalities during the course of the Model. The previously stated increase in PBT volume may depend on a variety of factors.

Hypofractionating might be "egregious" if your equipment doesn't have "fitness"?
Comment: A commenter voiced concern that participants with fewer resources would attempt high dose hypofractionation without adequate equipment and that the proposed rule did not have a mechanism in place to test the “fitness” of the hypofractionation equipment.
Response: At this time, we are unable to perform such a test as we do not believe that testing equipment falls within the Innovation Center's authority to test payment and service delivery models. However, we will be using Peer Review and patient surveys, among other monitoring measures (see section III.C.14 of this final rule), to assess whether RO participants are engaging in such egregious behaviors.

It is a state licensing requirement to have a physicist for "hypo fractionation"?
Comment: Several commenters stated that including medical physics services in the RO Model will lead to a loss of direct financial accountability for providing adequate technical supervision that is provided to each patient and could significantly reduce medical physics resources around the country. A commenter stated that medical physicists would move to an area not participating in the Model in order to maintain their salary.
Response: It is our understanding that medical physics is a state licensure requirement and is an integral to the delivery of RT services. We do not anticipate that the Model will have a detrimental impact on medical physics resources, as participants would continue to need these health care providers for many functions, including output calibrations and, where clinically appropriate, hypo fractionation [sic]. As discussed in section III.C.14 and III.C.16 of this final rule, we will monitor for unintended consequences of the RO Model.

Don't change your name, or get married...
If you change your name, and participate in RO-APM, you have to let CMS know pretty quickly about the name change because it affects their monitoring.

Scattered throughout the document: pretty much all documenting requirements fall upon the professional provider, not the technical provider (ie it's on the MDs, not the hospitals). And from what I can tell, the only clear documenting requirements (since we don't have HCPCSs anymore) are: do you have an EHR, does the patient have pain and what's the plan, screen for depression, ask about advanced care planning, and let the referring and patient have a copy of the treatment summary in 30 days after tx completion. (In reality there's a lot more than this... it's sad/scary... but these are uber important it seems.) Documenting, say, a set weekly OTV note would be moot at least from CMS's perspective... and/or no more or less required than say a daily IGRT note... again, this is my opinion only. I'm sure many will continue to document "old style" (almost every code must have a note right?) but I can't see that persisting. Only medicolegal reasons would remain.

Buried in here too... in year 3 patient survey results affect pay.

So in summary, make sure the linac is doing daily P90X and is very fit and send a treatment summary to every patient by certified mail as soon as treatment completes. And I'm no business guru but I think it's going to require ~20% of current professional salaries (to hire many FTEs and beef up EHRs and get consultants etc.) to fully and cleanly meet all the requirements of this thing by year 3.

Local carried determinations (ie IMRT LCDs, IGRT LCDs, etc) will not apply to RO APM participants anymore...
LCDs are decisions made by a Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) whether to cover a particular item or service in a MAC's jurisdiction (region) in accordance with section 1862(a)(1)(A) of the Social Security Act. The MAC's decision is based on whether the service or item is considered reasonable and necessary. The MACs will not have the ability to apply LCDs to RO Model claims because only the RO Model-specific HCPCS codes appear on the claim and these codes are not included in any current LCDs. When we monitor utilization of RT services during the Model, as described in section III.C.14.a, we will use the reasonable and necessary provisions as stated in applicable LCDs as one of our monitoring tools.

Eh?

8 Gy x 1 2D to prostate cancer is now the new definitive.

This is a dangerous game for CMS to play . . .

Red Journal and Eichler just dropped this article:

RO Model: The Work Continues to Get it Right

To editorialize a bit, this perfectly summarizes what happened to our field. IMRT burst on the scene, everyone took advantage of it - money is the prime motivator for most people and organizations. As a result, we get residency expansion, Urorads - all the good stuff. Then watchdogs noticed, the government got upset.

Now we have an unhealthy job market and the government taking direct aim at RadOnc.

What a wild two decades this has been.

This will channel resources away from cervical brachy. I do a lot of it and it’s already hard to fight for personal/equipment (vs. say Gamma Knife)

To editorialize a bit, this perfectly summarizes what happened to our field.
It doesn't perfectly summarize what happened (ie why the APM happened). Here's a quote from the federal register:

In the proposed rule, we explained that Medicare expenditures for RT have increased substantially. From 2000 to 2010, for example, the volume of physician billing for radiation treatment increased 8.2 percent, while Medicare Part B spending on RT increased 216 percent. Most of the increase in the 2000 to 2010 time period was due to the adoption and uptake of IMRT.* From 2010 to 2016, spending and volume for PBT (proton beam therapy) in FFS Medicare grew rapidly, driven by a sharp increase in the number of proton beam centers and Medicare's relatively broad coverage of this treatment. While we cannot assess through claims data what caused this increase in PBT, we can monitor changes in the utilization of treatment modalities during the course of the Model. The previously stated increase in PBT volume may depend on a variety of factors.

The federal register doesn't mention Urorads at all, tellingly. ASTRO continues to perseverate on IMRT and Urorads. "ASTRO made curbing self-referral its #1 legislative priority in 2007, focusing on urology-owned radiation oncology practices." Geez. Almost every rad onc in America works at a something-owned-practice. Don't buy ASTRO's story ("IMRT BAAAD"). We all use IMRT, all the time, for everything. Why? Because it's a good treatment. Eichler uses it too. (No one picked on the huge uptick in antibiotic use that happened in the 1940's I bet.) IMRT *and* protons. That's what Eichler bemoans, but doesn't directly admit to, re: "The pool of trust and good will [with CMS] is rapidly evaporating" (direct quote from your linked article). And that Eichler quote alone is why I'd tell everyone to steer clear of rad onc right now. CMS hates rad onc, but rad onc needs CMS. It's an abusive relationship.

(Also of note, Eichler's article inexplicably screws up the IMRT timeline a bit. There were IMRT codes in 2000-1, but admittedly not CPT ones.)

* Results:
We focused our analysis on office-based practices. Total office-based patient volume increased 8.2% from 2000 to 2010, whereas total payments increased 217%. Increase in overall payments increased dramatically from 2000 to 2007, but subsequently plateaued from 2008 to 2010. Increases in complexity of care, and image guidance in particular, have also resulted in higher payments.
Conclusion:
The cost of radiation oncology services increased from 2000 to 2010, mostly due to IMRT, but also with significant contribution from increased overall complexity of care. A cost adjustment occurred after 2007, limiting further growth of payments. Future health policy studies should explore the potential for further cost containment, including differences in use between freestanding and hospital outpatient facilities.

Last edited:

To editorialize a bit, this perfectly summarizes what happened to our field. IMRT burst on the scene, everyone took advantage of it - money is the prime motivator for most people and organizations. As a result, we get residency expansion, Urorads - all the good stuff. Then watchdogs noticed, the government got upset.

Now we have an unhealthy job market and the government taking direct aim at RadOnc.

What a wild two decades this has been.
Protons are the far more shameless culprit here imo than IMRT or urorads, which i think @scarbrtj is trying to get at. You don't see the same kind of campaign against the last decade from ASTRO like you did against urorads and imrt despite the far higher cost with questionable, if any, benefit in its most treated site (prostate).

Last edited:
IMRT is the culprit. Widely available and adopted routinely by many combined with a ridiculously high reimbursement provided the necessary incentives which is what made CMA pay attention. Urorads was a lost cause from the get go. Urology (and many other specialties) have more political power that RO. The argument was impossible to make. ASTRO's line was essentially IMRT is a great treatment (but only if RO own the center). Protons are a small % of RO budget. I am glad that they are not exempted (yet) but the widespread adoption of IMRT is what got us here. I disagree that ASTRO "punches above its weight" as Dr Eichler claims.

Protons are a small % of RO budget.
Define "small." In 2016, proton spending for CMS was $115 million (whereas $47 million in 2010), which was about 8% of the total RO outlay. What percent of RO centers were proton centers in 2016? If there are ~2000 radiation centers in America, maybe there were 20 proton centers in 2016? So ~1% of the radiation centers in America account for ~8% of its radiation spending? Not "small" IMHO. And those are 2016 numbers. My proton-to-non-proton-centers ratio might be off, but protons eat a very outsize chunk of the "RO budget." Protons punch above their weight!

Last edited:
Define "small." In 2016, proton spending for CMS was $115 million (whereas $47 million in 2010), which was about 8% of the total RO outlay. What percent of RO centers were proton centers in 2016? If there are ~2000 radiation centers in America, maybe there were 20 proton centers in 2016? So ~0.1% of the radiation centers in America account for ~8% of its radiation spending? Not "small" IMHO. And those are 2016 numbers. My proton-to-non-proton-centers ratio might be off, but protons eat a very outsize chunk of the "RO budget." Protons punch above their weight!
Point given that protons are increasing in utilization. My point was that we got here because of IMRT. Dr Eichler begins his editorial with SGR increases from the early 21st century (which is (essentially) all due to IMRT; protons were hardly measurable until after 2010).

IMRT is the culprit. Widely available and adopted routinely by many combined with a ridiculously high reimbursement provided the necessary incentives which is what made CMA pay attention. Urorads was a lost cause from the get go. Urology (and many other specialties) have more political power that RO. The argument was impossible to make. ASTRO's line was essentially IMRT is a great treatment (but only if RO own the center). Protons are a small % of RO budget. I am glad that they are not exempted (yet) but the widespread adoption of IMRT is what got us here. I disagree that ASTRO "punches above its weight" as Dr Eichler claims.
All the more reason ASTRO should have grabbed the bull by its horns (and not denigrated a big chunk of PPs through the pointless urorads battle) and lead the way on site neutral payment bundles, but the same factions that oppose protons being under APM are the same folks who were adamantly opposed to any bundling or site neutrality in payments. Now the CMS "chickens" have come to roost and ASTRO (and all of us) are unfortunately along for the ride

ASTRO wasted so much time and spent so much political capital on their utterly failed urorads fight, they inevitably were behind the 8 ball when it came to all of this.

As most proton facilities are located at academic centers and are used as tools to recruit patients from non-academic providers (MDA billboard for protons has been in my town for ~7 years), they will never, ever admit protons are a problem. Remember what Nancy Lee said? Even if the data is bad we’re still going to use them?

Edit: medgator beat me by 1 minute and made kind of the same point

• Sad
Point given that protons are increasing in utilization. My point was that we got here because of IMRT. Dr Eichler begins his editorial with SGR increases from the early 21st century (which is (essentially) all due to IMRT; protons were hardly measurable until after 2010).
There's gotta be some quote somewhere that goes: in a 30 fraction regimen of curative RT, it's the last fraction that cures you... the other 29 are there just so the last fraction will work. Or... go to med school for four years, you get an MD; go for 3 years and 11 months, you get some bad debt. IMRT was fraction 1-29; protons were the last fraction. Maybe it was inevitable in a tech-heavy specialty constantly being seduced by ever more expensive new tech.

You guys don’t like that gorgeous proton DVH? cmon! Why so serioouuuus?

Last edited:
Get out your Cat-O-Nine Tails and begin your self flagellation for being such a bad RO. Costing CMS money how dare they

So now what happens Eichler? We get APM. The only innovation we will have is a constant disappearing act.

What historically happens to fields that get APM? And the like. They disappear

Hospitals have DRGs - guess what? They disappear every year never to return

CT surg - bundled CABG, valves - no innovation and shrinking indications. These guys end up stripping veins and standing around with their thumb up their ass during TAVR cases

RO APM? -

We don’t need a history lesson Eicher. We need a way out. Not some kind of social penance that gets us no where.

Get out your Cat-O-Nine Tails and begin your self flagellation for being such a bad RO. Costing CMS money how dare they

So now what happens Eichler? We get APM. The only innovation we will have is a constant disappearing act.

What historically happens to fields that get APM? And the like. They disappear

Hospitals have DRGs - guess what? They disappear every year never to return

CT surg - bundled CABG, valves - no innovation and shrinking indications. These guys end up stripping veins and standing around with their thumb up their ass during TAVR cases

RO APM? -

We don’t need a history lesson Eicher. We need a way out. Not some kind of social penance that gets us no where.

I’m not a fan of APM of course, but the orthopedic APM has worked ok, and orthopods are still around.

Urorads steal patients from academic centers = bad

Protons steal patients to academic centers = good

Reduced supervision reduces burden on PP = bad

Increased residents increases profits for academic centers = good

Strange trend, IMO. It’s almost like if you’re in PP ASTRO doesn’t value or represent you. Nay, they are actively adversarial toward you. Why you still paying them?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Urorads steal patients from academic centers = bad

Protons steal patients to academic centers = good

Reduced supervision reduces burden on PP = bad

Increased residents increases profits for academic centers = good

Strange trend, IMO. It’s almost like if you’re in PP ASTRO doesn’t value or represent you. Nay, they are actively adversarial toward you. Why you still paying them?

I haven't given them a dime for years now. Anyone in pp who is an ASTRO member is feeding the beast that wants to devour you.

• Haha
CMS admits Alternative Payment Models don't work. Great

“The bottom line is CMMI models are losing money, generating large losses and a weak return on investment for taxpayers,” Verma said. “The center stands in need of a course correction in model design and portfolio selection if value-based care is to advance.”

• Haha
CMS admits Alternative Payment Models don't work. Great

“The bottom line is CMMI models are losing money, generating large losses and a weak return on investment for taxpayers,” Verma said. “The center stands in need of a course correction in model design and portfolio selection if value-based care is to advance.”
CMS is here to help you. Didn’t you know?

As Verma looked to the future of value-based care, she emphasized that mandatory participation — and the threat of harsher downsides for failing to meet benchmarks — will be vital to success. In particular, Verma pointed to increased risk requirements in the Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP), which covers ACOs, as a factor in its recent savings figures.

Forget Radiation Oncology. If you're a bright undergrad and you're considering medicine as a career, you are insane. If I was currently in medical school, I'd be looking for an out into industry rather than doing a residency. Sucks, but the future don't look great for any of us docs.

As Verma looked to the future of value-based care, she emphasized that mandatory participation — and the threat of harsher downsides for failing to meet benchmarks — will be vital to success. In particular, Verma pointed to increased risk requirements in the Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP), which covers ACOs, as a factor in its recent savings figures.

Forget Radiation Oncology. If you're a bright undergrad and you're considering medicine as a career, you are insane. If I was currently in medical school, I'd be looking for an out into industry rather than doing a residency. Sucks, but the future don't look great for any of us docs.

I wholeheartedly agree. And if you finished residency, whatever that residency might be work on a side hustle or an out into industry. You don't want to be in your mid 50s when the hospital tells you they're letting you go because the AI or the young person looking for a job is just more "cost-effective"

Countries like the UK are expanding the use of AI aggressively to minimize such things as bloodwork and note writing scut. They're letting the technicians read CXRs because most of those are normal. Once their experience is published it's game over. And we know how much the British love publishing things that tells us that a lot of medicine is just hand waving.

• Haha
I wholeheartedly agree. And if you finished residency, whatever that residency might be work on a side hustle or an out into industry. You don't want to be in your mid 50s when the hospital tells you they're letting you go because the AI or the young person looking for a job is just more "cost-effective"

Countries like the UK are expanding the use of AI aggressively to minimize such things as bloodwork and note writing scut. They're letting the technicians read CXRs because most of those are normal. Once their experience is published it's game over. And we know how much the British love publishing things that tells us that a lot of medicine is just hand waving.

Aha, but the goal is to be financially independent or FIRE before the mid-50's. Whether practicing medicine or some other industry is the best avenue to achieve those ends is a whole other discussion...

Delayed until July 1, 2021.

Now's the time to call your senators and congressmen. We have time to fight. I don't care what you think about ASTRO. Get your asses on their website and send the form letter to your legislators. It's not that hard.