RN to DVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anabolism

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever done this path before? I've searched and can't find any success stories in the threads. I'm currently an RN and am seriously considering Veterinary Medicine. Being a veterinarian has always been my dream job. I should have pursued it but had a change of heart first year of college and thought CRNA would be cool so I went into nursing.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of career paths that have been taken prior to deciding upon veterinary school. I think one of the UPenn c/o 2014 guys was a hedge funds analyst? At any rate, it's never too late to change course. The pre-vet section of this forum is full of great resources and posts about what you'll need to get started, so wander on over and have a look around. Let us know if you have any questions about the process! :)

Yep! I'm an RN and am now in 4th year (of 5) of vet. There is also another RN in my year and I've met another who graduated from vet last year. We've all worked as RN's for quite a few years though, didn't go straight from nursing to vet. I also know of a vet who decided to change to nursing :p we all thought she was a bit crazy though :laugh:

This is in Australia though. I know quite a few med students get into med from nursing as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my classmates is an RN. I'm not sure how many years she nursed before starting vet school, but I know she was a ER nurse.

I personally wasn't an RN, but I'm a first year and in my class there is a woman who used to be an ER nurse for 6 or 7 years. So it definitely can be done.

not me, but there is a classmate of mine who was an ER nurse for 6 years before she got in, there are several people i've met in upperclasses who were working in human medicine in some capacity. i was in research for human medicine. So, totally. do it!

A classmate of mine was a nurse too - it's definitely been done before :)

My one anatomy professor is an RN and an artist but not a vet. But still doing a job that vets do (she is pretty awesome overall).

Anyone ever done this path before? I've searched and can't find any success stories in the threads. I'm currently an RN and am seriously considering Veterinary Medicine. Being a veterinarian has always been my dream job. I should have pursued it but had a change of heart first year of college and thought CRNA would be cool so I went into nursing.

One of my classmate was a nurse, he had a degree in nursing. We are now in 4th year vet. 1 more year to graduation...