RN, 32, GPA 3.59, and BOMBED with 17Q!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobbyinpgh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have A's in Biology, excellent references from my Biology and got a friggin 4! I took Kaplan and never scored below 26........I don't know what to do....I am devastated. I was up the night before with my nephew at the ER.....I know this affected my performance, what the hell should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, there's always nursing...Oh wait. Never mind. :D

Just retake the test, and next time get plenty of rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, I'd like to say I'm sorry that your nephew was sick and I hope he has a quick recovery. Secondly...my best advice would be to just take the exam over again in April and just keep studying steadily until then. I think your nerves might've gotten to you on the exam and may have adversely affected your performance. I think Kaplan still allows you to use their resources (library of practice exams) even after your test date...but I'm not sure on this. But I'd definitely re-test if I were you and explain the low first score on your essays (in your apps). Regardless, best of luck in admissions!

You can try Osteopathic schools as well as a few offshore MD schools.

i believe kaplan will also let you re-take the class for free if you did worse on the actual test than on your diagnostic.

i'm sorry you had a hard time, what with your nephew and all. the good news is that if you retake the test and do better, the ad coms will understand about having had a family emergency.

good luck.

Just take it again. . .this time around, my score improved 9 POINTS from when I took it in 2001. And that was without a prep course.

The MCAT is very much a game. It can me outsmarted.

If med school is the goal, then go for it.

As was mentioned previous, take the test again this april. In the mean time, do as many practice passages and questions as possible. I can not stress this enough. When you miss a question, find out why!!

think about it this way, improve just 3 points per section (4 for one of the) and you'll have a 27, which should make you competitive for some schools, especially DO. Study!

Since you did much better on the practice tests, and since they are usually a good indicator of performance on the real thing, I would strongly suggest you take it again in April. I I can only assume it was due to lack of sleep with your nephew.

Chaulk it up as a fluke, and take it again. If you bomb that one, then assume you have a problem with taking it.

Good luck. Sorry you are having a tough time right now. I know how you feel, I got an 18 the first time I took (grandmother was dying, and died 2 weeks later during my final exams). I improve greatly on the August MCAT.

Don't give up!!!!!!!!!!

I think Kaplan charges only $100 for people to retake the course. A bunch of people do it.

You should definitely take the test in April, and then you'll be ready to apply for the 2005 entering class. :)

Why retake a course that did not work? I would try a different course, or just buy the EK books...

[and no, I did not take either course...]

Originally posted by Bobbyinpgh
I have A's in Biology, excellent references from my Biology and got a friggin 4!

i dunno, whenever someone justifies a really low mcat score by citing high grades, i always wonder what school they got those really high grades from. now if you got A's in bio from a top 25 school, then i'd be more tempted to say your mcat score was a fluke.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll just throw this out there. Did you happen to skip a # on the answer sheet and skew the answers?

Definitely retake it. Yes, this was a bad one, probably a fluke. Simply overcome it, and do it again. Don't give up. With your credentials you're a good candidate, and you'll do a lot better next time around. Tenacity and perseverance are excellent qualities that medical schools look for.

If you're like most people, you don't want to go to an osteopathic school and you certainly don't want to go to an offshore school. I know there are a lot of people here that might not approve of my saying that, but it's true. I'm also guessing that with so much experience you are very comfortable with allopathic medicine, so there isn't any reason for you to consider osteopathy, unless you don't think you can improve your performance on the MCAT--I doubt this is the case.

You absolutely must improve on the MCAT. The only way to do this is to practice, study, and consult with people who can help you (test-prep courses aren't a sure fix for everybody, so try to find help from professors or friends who did well on the exam). If this is important to you then you need to clear your schedule for the next six months. Devote all of your spare time to studying and try to take a practice exam each week (use quality exams like old tests from the AAMC).

I can't emphasize this enough. PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO THE MECHANICS OF THE TEST!!! Get a hold of one and dissect it like a first year med student does a cadaver. A little secret I learned when I took the test: it's not as hard as most commercial tests. Many of the practice tests I took (even Kaplan's) were WAY more difficult than the real thing. This is because they would have you believe that you need to memorize every detail of your pre-med classes in order to do well on the test. This is a lie. You need to understand the basic concepts, but that's it! Once you can grasp those concepts, all you need to do is employ them to solve the problems on the test--problems that are way easier than the ones you will find in your textbooks at the end of each chapter. The type of reasoning that is required to employ the basic concepts does not come naturally to everybody--BUT IT CAN BE LEARNED. In summary:

1. Dissect the exam. Figure out for yourself what kind of reasoning is required to get the correct answers for each passage.

2. Begin practicing the test, but without time constraints. Give yourself as much time as you need to employ your newfound reasoning.

3. After awhile, this skill will become second-nature. Now you can begin working on your time. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. You can have the best reasoning in the world, but if you can't use it quickly you will bomb the test.

You're in it for the long haul, so don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen overnight. Also, don't neglect the basic concepts. If you're practicing the exam and you realize you forgot how to identify a strong acid, go back and review the material ASAP. If you follow my advice, you'll be able to take the April exam and be back in the game for the next admission cycle--DO NOT ATTEMPT TO APPLY FOR A POSITION IN 2004's ENTERING CLASS. First you have to prove to them that your first score was a fluke. Dedicate yourself. Be patient; if your not ready by April, wait and take it next August. Don't give up. I'm confident that you can earn at least 10 in each section on your next shot, but if you're a few points shy your nursing experience will go a LONG WAY.

Good luck,

CC

f you're like most people, you don't want to go to an osteopathic school and you certainly don't want to go to an offshore school. I know there are a lot of people here that might not approve of my saying that, but it's true. I'm also guessing that with so much experience you are very comfortable with allopathic medicine, so there isn't any reason for you to consider osteopathy, unless you don't think you can improve your performance on the MCAT--I doubt this is the case.

Thats about one of the most ignorant paragraphs I've seen on SDN in a while.

I think it's hard to speak for most people, and that RN's probably have exposure to both DO's and MD's. He/She might be comfortable with both.

Echinoidea, don't sweat it. Let's keep people that have an ignorant view of medicine out of DO schools. DO schools only want people that know that you need more than a high GPA and MCAT scores to be a competent physician.

I don't want to divert the OP's post and make it into yet another useless MD vs DO thread.

To the OP: Re-take the MCAT. You'll probably get a higher score. Consider carefully your reasons for becoming a physician. You're an experienced nurse, so I don't think anyone has to defend osteopathic medicine at all. I'm sure you've been exposed to it many times and don't need anyone to tell you that the initials after your name are meaningless to the person you're caring for (after all, how many times as a nurse have you been addressed as "doctor"?). Think about it.

Also, no offense, but 17 isnt getting you into an osteopathic medical school. So the person who made that comment really doesnt have the sense to be speaking on these matters. I would personally be inclined to believe that you screwed up your answer sheet. a 4 is pretty low (As i am sure you are aware), and i think a degree in bio is enough to get higher than a 4, not to mention history as RN and Kaplan practice. Unfortunately, all you can do is retake and do better. Good luck, it will make it all the better once you are in.

I agree w/ Idiopathic.

A 17 is quite low, even by DO standard. Also, the breakdown doesn't look good either (if you got a 4 in bio, probably a 7-6 in physical and verbal)

Now your years of experience as a RN is a definate plus. However, you must show the adcom that you can take tests since med school is just that - test after test after test (well, the first two years at least).

You have to show them that you can also take big tests - like the COMLEXs and USMLEs.

So with the available information that you have given, you will probably have to retake it in April (or August) of next year. It sucks, mais c'est la vie.

Oh - and for halloween, I'm dressing up as an osteopath. I'll be dancing around a big bon fire while worshipping the evil philosophy of osteopathic medicine (which is the reason why coldchemist seems to be so uncomfortable). Then all the osteopaths will go trick-or-treating, going to every premeds house and demand candy else they will be doom to suffer our fate - to become osteopaths.

That'll be so funny! Does KMart carry A.T. Still costumes? Well, all you need is a funny beard, and a black hat and suit (and perhaps a large femur to carry around to whack people with).

Perhaps dressing up as Hippocrates would be easier. One big white blanket, pair of sandals and you're good to go!

Sorry...diverting the OP's message again.

I think the OP gets the point. Don't take the stupid test so seriously (yes, easier said than done). You'll do better next time...besides, it'll be hard to get something less than a 4 so you have nowhere to go but up, right? Relax, get some sleep the night before the test and go for it.

(By the way, I don't get it...that Home Depot thing)

Originally posted by group_theory
I agree w/ Idiopathic.

A 17 is quite low, even by DO standard. Also, the breakdown doesn't look good either (if you got a 4 in bio, probably a 7-6 in physical and verbal)

Now come on...I know you are agreeing with me, but the average at our school is 27-28, which is respectable, although not as high as most allopathic schools. I got 11's across the board, and I chose osteopathy, and have never looked back. I know that 11's didnt make me a lock for any school, but I had more than one high-profile interview and acceptance, and I chose DO. It happens.

One of my close friends just got her results back. She was disappointed too. She got a 21. I didn't say apply DO. Osteopathic schools have students that with a great range of scores. I think it's wrong to assume that if your numbers aren't strong that you can apply DO. Also, a 17 is below the cutoff for some DO schools. UNE requires an 18 or better to be looked at, but trust me an 18 probably won't get you into any school.

I didn't take a course for the MCAT. However, I had my wife proctor the exam on several Saturdays before the exam. I studied from my old course notes on the topics that were covered on the MCAT. And I used my texts books too. I only took the exam once. But on my first practice exam I got a 23. I was scared. I then looked at what I did wrong. It was panic that created the disaster for me. I became less intimidated, reviewed fundamentals. I took another practice exam about a month later. I jumped to a 29. I stayed around 30's for all my practice exams. And on the real deal I got a 33.

So, for me, I found the exam to be about keeping your head. So, really work on relaxing, if that's at all possible. During the exam, I would take a breather. I would actually look up, pause, take a deep breath and allow my confidence to come back up. Also, if I didn't know an answer, I skipped it and then returned to it later. I chose not to let one question ruin my day. So, I would complete one section, have about 12 that I didn't know and then go back to them, start eliminating other answers and it worked for me. Get confident.

Good luck...

What is the lowers score that someone has heard of someone getting on the MCAT and still getting into medical school? Has anyone ever gotten in with less than a 20 or 22?

Harvard in 2000 accepted a 4.0 minority student with a 20. I think the minority part played a role, but obviously there were some extreme EC's here. I really do think this woman was in the peace corps.

Originally posted by Idiopathic
Harvard in 2000 accepted a 4.0 minority student with a 20. I think the minority part played a role, but obviously there were some extreme EC's here. I really do think this woman was in the peace corps.

She was in the minority corps, a special regiment of humans whom society decided didn't need to live up to the standards of the rest of the world.

She was in the minority corps, a special regiment of humans whom society decided didn't need to live up to the standards of the rest of the world.

Here we go...:rolleyes:

I try extremely hard to think before I write and to avoid offending people. However, it is sometimes difficult for the following two reasons:

1. When people ask for help, I want to help them, and that usually obligates me to offer my opinion.

2. Some of the people on these boards are WAY too sensitive.

I didn't mean anything offensive, and you guys are probably right that I was presumptuous when I said that he would probably be more comfortable with allopathic medicine.

IMPORTANT--I have a lot of respect for people who choose osteopathy because of their beliefs and preferences. I personally know several very smart, very capable individuals who chose osteopathy because they agree more with the osteopathic philosophy--these people could easily have gotten into an allopathic medical school. However, I am an optimist, and I absolutely disagree with people who have an attitude that those who aren't smart enough for allopathic schools should apply to osteopathic school. Osteopathy should be considered an opportunity and not a punishment reserved for the unintelligent. That is why I said what I did.

For those of you that judged me so quickly, you completely missed the point of my post which was one of encouragement. Regardless, I do apologize for the misunderstanding...there was certainly no disrespect intended

FYI--one of my personal heroes, Dr. Andrew Weil, completely abandoned an allopathic career after earning his MD at Harvard because he found that a holistic approach was more suitable for him, and it's because of him that I have great respect for people who choose alternative medical pathways.

Originally posted by JKDMed
GROW UP AND GET OVER IT!!!!!!!

To RN: I personally think RN's are by far the smartest and most compassionate health care professionals I've ever come across! Retake that MCAT and good luck getting in!

To Coldchemist: Bravo for being woman/man enough to show contrition which is a rare thing on SDN!

I think you need to retake it. A seventeen is just too low.

If that doesn't work, I would get my master's and become a nurse practioner.

I'm only stating what Affirmative Action really is. If I was a minority, I would be pissed off. It basically says they're not good enough to meet the same standards whites meet, so they get a break. It's insulting.

I'm only stating what Affirmative Action really is. If I was a minority, I would be pissed off. It basically says they're not good enough to meet the same standards whites meet, so they get a break. It's insulting.

alas....you are not a minority and it would be pretty much impossible for you to be able to know what they are feeling and thinking.

now i shall run away from this thread ;)

Only on SDN can a thread morph from a "what are my chances" to "DO vs. MD" to "affirmative action" in less than two pages.

coldchemist: thanks for the elaboration. Sorry if I jumped down your throat. It just gets really irritating to see "apply DO" as the solution to a poor GPA or MCAT. I know thats not what you were advocating, but we see alot of it now that the MCAT scores are out.

No problem. I think we're on the same page.

As a minority, I'll let you in on a little secret...it's not insulting whatsoever...we know we're just as capable to meet the same standards as whites...you know we're just as capable to meet the same standards as whites...we all sit behind closed doors at night laughing at the idiots who came up with affirmative action...

GO Affirmative Action!!