RMSK Study Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBM16BYU

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on taking the RMSK examination within the year. For anyone who has taken the exam, do you have any study tips? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on taking the RMSK examination within the year. For anyone who has taken the exam, do you have any study tips? Thanks in advance!

There's next to no exam-focused resources out there. I don't know of any good question banks. The one through APCA is a waste of time.

Biggest help was reading the entirety of Jacobson's Fundamentals of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound. I was also scanning regularly in my clinic and improved my skills with self-scanning after clinic. I also read some supplementary stuff from radiology literature on ultrasound physics.

This method was good enough to pass, but I felt the ABPMR and ABEM exams were easier for me. It's a tough exam; passing rate just over 60% as I remember. Be able to see a static image and know every structure on it cold, even if given zero context regarding what body part the transducer is on. Don't neglect physics and know all the possible jargon that can be used.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty hard to study the images and practical portion from scratch - I feel like that was residency and fellowship. The physics portion is what I spent the most time studying (I think I only studied this part). A good chunk of the test was on that portion.