Rituximab and CLL - Question from a colleague

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pigg-O-Stat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Appealing to my Hem/Onc colleagues for some insight regarding a real case. First off, a little background...

I'm an emergency physician in Las Vegas. My grandmother is 88, and was diagnosed with CLL ~5-6 years ago. She was symptom free until 3 weeks ago when she was admitted to a hospital in FL with a hgb of 5, determined to be a result of a warm auto-immune hemolytic anemia. They tried steroids for 2 weeks and were unsuccessful, and she has required about 2 units of prbc's per week to maintain a hgb ~9. For insurance reasons, she was air-ambulanced back to Canada, where she is a resident. Prior to leaving FL, the oncologist had recommended Rituximab, and I was in favor of this decision. For some reason, once she reached Canada, they dragged their feet for a week and have continued prednisone alone, with no improvement.

Today the oncologist in Canada suddenly recommended a combination rituximab/cytoxin/fludara as well as bone marrow bx and prophylactic abx. This seems way too aggressive, so I spoke with her and requested they begin with a trial of ritux alone, before proceeding to such an aggressive regimen. Her response blew my mind... She basically told me that the canadian government will not fund this. The only options are the 3 drug regimen or a less aggressive ritux/cytoxin regimen (with a bizarre caveat that if this regimen fails, she will not be offered ritux ever again). From a purely medical perspective, I cannot understand this approach. And from a governmental approach, I don't see how this offers cost savings. Either way, I see my grandmother getting the short end of the stick here.

Since I am way out of my specialty, I appeal to you all for your expertise. What are your thoughts on this case??

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment on why the Canadian health system is like this, or if the oncologist she's seeing is just blowing smoke up your ass but if your grandma showed up in my office I'd offer her a choice between single agent rituximab and hospice.

Rituximab because it's going to treat not only her CLL but AIHA as well. Hospice because, well, we all have to die at some point and 88 seems like a damn good run. I say that not to be callous but to be realistic.

We can argue about various approaches, but FCR in an 88 year old is just bizarre.

Members don't see this ad :)
RustBelt - Please expand on this. They plan to start the treatment tomorrow and I'm very uncomfortable with it. My feeling is this - her WBC count is in the 130 range and she's tolerated this well for years. Her platelets are normal. Her retic count is appropriately high. A month ago she was very active and walking a mile a day. Her issue is the AIHI and as far as I understand the Ritux is a reasonable approach for targeting AIHA and generally well tolerated. I don't see any added benefit in the rest of the regimen - all I see is unnecessary risk. Am I missing something?

Thanks

FCR can be very toxic, with respect to infections, etc. I agree with Ritux/ steroid approach in this case, with focus on hemolytic anemia.

One can make the argument that in a world that has ibrutinib and idelalisib that FCR shouldn't be used at all and that 17p deletion CLL should just see ibrutinib in 1L, with more standard risk pts seeing BR in 1L (yes, even people that could tolerate FCR).

Could also consider obin or ofat + chlorambucil - approved in the US for first line in CLL for patients unable to tolerate fludarabine.

We have had substantial success getting elderly patients single agent ibrutinib off label on the basis of that Lancet Oncology paper last year and that ASH presentation by Byrd, though it is helpful that the guy hammering the insurance company is Coutre.

Finally, if the patient is at least ECOG 2, could consider the large Alliance trial (NCT01886872) - B+R vs. I vs. I+R first line in elderly patients (and pray she gets I or I+R).

that alliance protocol is a great idea.

strangely, I have had more problems (side effects) with full dose I in the 85+ crowd then dose attenuated B.

Rituxan + chlorambucil.

Reactions: 1 user