Rising D4s (Class 2022), how worried are you currently about the lack of clinical experiences due to Covid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cavity_Search

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is your school providing you with enough clinical time/patients now? My D3 year is almost over and in total of all my clinical experiences I've only done ~15 composite restorations, 1 amalgam, SRP 3 times, ~15-20 prophies, 0 extractions, 0 root canals, 0 complete dentures, 0 RPDs, 0 crowns, 0 bridges, 0 peds restorations. How are we supposed to catch up??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is your school providing you with enough clinical time/patients now? My D3 year is almost over and in total of all my clinical experiences I've only done ~15 composite restorations, 1 amalgam, SRP 3 times, ~15-20 prophies, 0 extractions, 0 root canals, 0 complete dentures, 0 RPDs, 0 crowns, 0 bridges, 0 peds restorations. How are we supposed to catch up??
The class of 2022 may end up being the most screwed out of everyone. 2020 got a free pass. Then schools had to focus all energy and cases on 2021 when clinics opened due to the limited time and patients. In the whole process, 2022 got pushed to the back burner. You got to be the assistants and ate whatever crumbs the seniors didn’t need. Schools probably won’t give you reductions like 2020 or 2021 because clinics were “open” and they don't want their reputations to suffer. I don’t envy y’all one bit. Good luck escaping.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Wow I’m so sorry for your experience, you got to do very little in your D3 year. I don’t think the D3’s at my school are that unfortunate, yeah they have to assist 1-3 sessions every week but most of them got to do some CDs and RPDs that were passed down by D4s, some even got 1 or 2 endo cases. A faculty at my school confirmed that the class of 2022 got screwed the most, much more than the class of 2021. Class of 2020 was largely unaffected. My advice to you is to befriend as many graduating seniors as possible, ideally those in the same clinic group as you. They will be more likely to give you their cases as they are done with their requirements. Best of luck to you!

P.S: From you post history I saw that you go to UNC. Used to be a very solid school in term of clinical experiences, so sad that Covid ruined everything. Same goes for my school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a D3 and in same situation, so far I have completed:

41 extractions
3 quad alveoloplasty
5 composite fillings
2 build-ups
6 prophy, 3 quad SRP
1 crown (1 more planned only)
0 bridge (2 planned)
1 denture reline
0 dentures (1 full/full case planned)
0 partial dentures (none planned)
0 root canals (none planned)
0 treatment on any pediatric patient

Last edited:
15-20 prophies... I don't mind prophies but that's a lot. Sorry to hear

15-20 prophies... I don't mind prophies but that's a lot. Sorry to hear
I have done zero prophy ever since we got back to clinic last July, I sent all of them to the D3’s and the hygiene students. Probably same thing happened to OP.

• Haha
I am very sorry you have to experience that and no reduction in tuition too

I have done zero prophy ever since we got back to clinic last July, I sent all of them to the D3’s and the hygiene students. Probably same thing happened to OP.
Covid dental school everywhere:
D1 year: didactics
D2 year: lab
D3 year: hygiene school
D4 year: meet requirements to graduate

Reactions: 1 users
Covid dental school everywhere:
D1 year: didactics
D2 year: lab
D3 year: hygiene school
D4 year: meet requirements to graduate
Pretty accurate. Sometimes the D3s also wonder if they are in assisting school...

Has your school ever spoken about possibly reducing requirements?

So sorry, I truly feel like '22s got screwed the hardest. Start working on an application for a residency.

If I were in the class of 2021/2022 and not going on to specialize, I’d be gunning for a GPR/AEGD. What the OP describes doing in all of their 3rd year is like 1-2 days of GP practice. Personally, I would feel pretty underprepared.

Big Hoss

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Has your school ever spoken about possibly reducing requirements?

So sorry, I truly feel like '22s got screwed the hardest. Start working on an application for a residency.
All the dental school senior presidents used to meet up on zoom for monthly updates, and pretty much every school was refusing to budge on requirements as much as possible for the class of 2021. I find it hard to imagine they would adjust anything for 2022. A lot of schools are doing D3/D4 pairs now. If that continues, class of 2022 is going to suffer until the very end. Not only were they ignored for an entire year, now they only have half the time during senior year.

• Sad
If I were in the class of 2021/2022 and not going on to specialize, I’d be gunning for a GPR/AEGD. What the OP describes doing in all of their 3rd year is like 1-2 days of GP practice. Personally, I would feel pretty underprepared.

Big Hoss
I get the above thought process, however, they need reps. An educational institution is not providing reps right now. why would someone volunteer for more 2-3 patient experiences per week when they can see up to 30 pts a day if they leave school?

Its a tough situation for sure and I do not think there are any good answers but dental schools, and I assume GPR/AEGD residencies, are not providing much of an education right now. Anyone actually know how many patients a typical GPR resident is getting to see right now? I actually have zero idea.. I'm assuming things, which is dangerous. I guess just avoid a dental school based GPR? maybe that is the point of this post...

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they going to be able to provide the level care expected of a dentist before they are turned loose onto the public?

Big Hoss
For a lot of us we're really stuck between a rock and a hard place. Many people in my class never planned on a residency as part of their career plan. I for example can't uproot our lives to another state for a GPR and have my partner abandon their business. And if I absolutely did need a GPR, now the competition to get into one has increased 1000% thanks to Covid. Really don't know what to do at the moment.

For a lot of us we're really stuck between a rock and a hard place. Many people in my class never planned on a residency as part of their career plan. I for example can't uproot our lives to another state for a GPR and have my partner abandon their business. And if I absolutely did need a GPR, now the competition to get into one has increased 1000% thanks to Covid. Really don't know what to do at the moment.
Tough situation for sure.

Just gonna say that you don't need to uproot your life for a 12 month residency. live separately for a year and visit back and forth. Yes it's not ideal, but some sacrifices have to be made. As far as competition, yes that may be true, but I wouldn't think too much about this. Just try your best and apply IMO.

Also do something about the fact you're doing more prophies than fillings. Talk to your operative or prosth directors maybe they can help you

Also do something about the fact you're doing more prophies than fillings. Talk to your operative or prosth directors maybe they can help you
Trust me, we've all tried. Since Covid started we've had to assist D4s and residents more than anything. Probably assisted 50+ times at least in the past year. There have been multiple patient cancellations and loss of patients. D4s have gotten all the priority with meeting their graduation requirements. We have been on the back burner the whole time. D2s have been completely excluded from clinic.

Big Hoss

nah, not 1-2 days, a week worth of procedures in a slow office that an associate will end up quitting the job in 1-2 months anyways.

when I graduate (class of 2020) the underclassmen and graduates of 2019 and 2018 say we were all screwed the most when we graduate into shut down, no jobs, less experience. turns out the opposite......wait it out a few months into september-nov and market is back.....now dental hiring is so high since older senior dentists don't wanna come back to work or work at reduce schedule

then they say class of 2021 is screwed the most.....but they forgot a lot of stuff (fixed prosth removable prosth) class of 2020 are supposed to do to graduate but got a free pass to graduate was passed down to 2021 and with graduation requirement cut down, class of 2021 will graduate but with much less experience

now they talk about 2022.....I agree that if I was co 2022 I would not even know what to do. you expect after being in 300-400k debt ( I guess this is a low end now) you will be graduating kicking and rocking.

best of luck OP

Reactions: 1 users
Not all schools prioritize D4s, like my school. The D3's at my school have to assist 2-3 times a week, but other than that everything else is fair game between D3s and D4s. Endo is the hardest requirement to finish at our school (as well as many other schools I would imagine), but the D4's still have to fight the D3's for endo patients.

Not all schools prioritize D4s, like my school. The D3's at my school have to assist 2-3 times a week, but other than that everything else is fair game between D3s and D4s. Endo is the hardest requirement to finish at our school (as well as many other schools I would imagine), but the D4's still have to fight the D3's for endo patients.

why Endo is the hardest one to find at your school? is it because of residence of endodontic in house taking all cases?

in my school it is very common for anyone that gives a crap get 4-5 anterior endo and 2-3 molar endo....some grads graduate with 20-30 molar endo (myself having done around 23-24 endo anterior/posterior)

why Endo is the hardest one to find at your school? is it because of residence of endodontic in house taking all cases?

in my school it is very common for anyone that gives a crap get 4-5 anterior endo and 2-3 molar endo....some grads graduate with 20-30 molar endo (myself having done around 23-24 endo anterior/posterior)
im class of 2021. Our school does not allow dental students to do molar endo (those automatically get referred to the residents) and currently people in our class are struggling to even get 3 cases (which is what is needed for graduation)

im class of 2021. Our school does not allow dental students to do molar endo (those automatically get referred to the residents) and currently people in our class are struggling to even get 3 cases (which is what is needed for graduation)

that sucks....molar endo is more common than anterior endo...like I am practicing now and only have like 10% anterior/premolars cases.

i

Yeah my school is exactly the same, the residents take all molars. The graduation requirement is only 3 endo cases, and this has been since pre-covid. I’m lucky that I just finished my 3rd, a lot of people in our class are still fighting to get theirs. Heck I even know D4s that have done zero endo on a real patient.

Are they going to be able to provide the level care expected of a dentist before they are turned loose onto the public?

Big Hoss
I concede to this point. The dental schools should not graduate someone unless they are safe for the public. However, if one feels they are prepared- and I recommend them to have a frank conversation with a faculty member they trust to determine objectively if they meet this threshold- my recommendation is for them to go into practice. The state of dental school (and residency) education is rapidly deteriorating. I'm not sure how GPR programs are doing so I really should not have commented on them specifically but if they are seeing 2-3 patients a week for an extra year it will, in my opinion, not have a significant impact on them. It is certainly situation dependent. I had classmates (pre-covid) who had faculty recommended particular students to consider a GPR/AEGD (hint hint, nudge nudge). Apprenticeships, although rare, would be what I gun for. less bureaucracy.

Great point Big Hoss.

Great point Big Hoss.
C301FD36-0900-4218-A3F1-954BC405BAE0.jpeg

Big Hoss