right out of high school.. what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shabang

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone..
Im just out of highschool as of last school year. anyway.. let me try and make this short.

ive finally decided I want to be a vet. albeit.. I have no clue what to do from here.

Should I goto a community college?
what should i focus on while there?
what should i leave there with in-order to up my chances of getting into a nice vet school?
(i just visisted a friend at cornell. wow awesome place.. i really like it..) has anyone applied for cornell?
rather.. does anyone know if its hard to get in there? or should i look at a better univ.?

I think thats it.. Ive tried doing some searching on the web.. but nothing really came up. finally I found this place!

thanks in advance,
~shabang~

Members don't see this ad.

it doesn't really matter where you do your pre-reqs, as long as you make good grades. I personally would go to comm college as it gives you a chance to save some cash before you apply for vet school. The best place to start is to look at the web sites for the vet schools you would be interested in applying to.

While you can get many of your pre-reqs going the community college route, I've *heard* (for whatever that's worth!) that admissions commitees will give you a harder look if you've gone that route vs. someone who went to a college/university for their pre-reqs. In other words, it can be even harder to get accepted if you've gone to a community college vs. 4-year. Just what I've heard around these parts...

You really should check with the admissions committees of the schools you'd like to go to, and check their requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many Vet schools put strong emphasis on experience working with animals.I would suggest looking into various oppotunities to gain this backround.It will help you make sure this is the field for you as well as enhance your application.
As for Cornell it is considered among the best Vet schools in the US,it is very competitive to gain entry.