Rheumtalogy fellowship 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t-sekhon

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am a Canadian IMG, on a J1 visa, in my second year of residency in a community IM program with close university affiliation. My stats are Step 1/2/3 scores: 249/260/227, two chapters in a leading medical textbook/a case report submitted/one research project underway (may or may not get published by the application cycle).

I'll be applying for rheumatology fellowship in this year's match. Looking for advise from anyone who matched or applied to rheuamtology regarding what matters the most when it comes to the fellowship application. What kind of research did you guys have? What can I do at this stage to make myself more competitive in terms of my CV. I am actively looking for any case reports, trying to finish the project currently underway. Unfortunately our program doesn't allow any away electives.

Any and all advise will be helpful!

Hope everyone is doing well in the current unfortunate situation!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am Canadian IMG as well. I am interested in rheumatology as well and will be applying in June,2021. I am looking to be in touch with someone who is applying to rheumatology and I am also actively looking for case reports.

is there anyway we can be in touch, kindly let me know we can form WhatsApp group and be in touch. Looking to actively involve all people who are interested in rheumatology, so we can help each other out.
Please let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi i am interested in rheum as well, what are you guys doing to make ur cv strong at this point? Can we form a whatsapp group or something? I will be applying this july 2021.

see below:

scroll to Rheumatology. This is a survey of PD's. They rank what is most important for them when selecting for interviews and also when ranking.
good luck!
I am currently a 2nd year rheum fellow

I agree that interview could matter more for rheumatology than for IM residency. For IM residency it is a huge pool of people to interview and faculty may not remember everyone. But for rheum fellowship it is a much smaller interview pool and they care about the interaction for each one.

I think people without major flags (zero research experience, poor LoR due to personally issue or poor performance in residency, low tier residency, H1b visa. Even having one of them is ok, but not multiple) will do well. Nearly all rheum programs in US are university program with excellent training quality.

I'm in the same boat as well. Canadian IMG, graduated residency a few years back and currently doing primary care. Lucky for me, the rheum department at our medical school sees patients in the same building as me and I have been able to make a few connections here. Currently have 2 case reports accepted to ACP for poster presentation, 2 ongoing research projects (1 ongoing systematic review in data extraction phase, and 1 telemedicine/rheum which I'm hoping to submit for publication in may), a book chapter already in the press for June/july, and a ton of community engagement, etc. Hoping to apply this cycle.

I would also like to join this Whatapp group if there is one.