Rheumatology Fellowship Application Thread: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hello all
interviews from temple, univ of vt, med coll of wisc, and geisinger,
rejection from scrips

and wake sent some weird application on hold letter.. is that basically a rejection?:(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys.
So far I have interviews from U of TN, Sunny Upstate, U of MI and USC Charleston. Rejections/on holds from Wake forest, U of Rochester.

Could an admin make a new thread with 2010 Rheumatology Fellowships and move this year's disscusions there? Thanks.

yeah got that weird on hold letter from wake forrest too..

Members don't see this ad :)
hey are we supposed to register for the match through NRMP? How do we do that?

i am a little confused when programs state a 2 yr or 3 year fellowship in their website regarding the fellowship curriculum. I am clear in that i just want to do a 2 year clinical fellowship and not interested in the extra research 3rd year. do i have to mention that in the interview? will that count against me ? any suggestions. also if i opt to do a 2 yr program will they let me take the subspecialty boards. Please give me some inputs.

Rheumatology is accredited as a 2 year fellowship. Many of the more competitive programs require 3 years (1 clinical, 2 research). Some of the most competitive programs fund fellows' research years via the NIH T32 training grant. Most of the competitive programs want applicants who want to do research, whether basic or clinical.

Hello everyone...How is the interview season going..this week has been pretty dead for me..How was the interview at U of VT?:confused:

Guess we can be a little active on this forum.To help each other out..I am a little anxious before my first interview..

Gouty -- You'll do fine :) Where are you going? I've noticed that almost every faculty I've interviewed with like to ask what your career path looks like.

Bring your CV with you on interviews. Often times interviewers dont have time to look over your application.

Hey Mingxie,Thanks.I interviewed at cuple of programs already.How is interview season going for you?How many interviews yet?Interviewed at Downstate yet??I just got invite from there.It's kinda late.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lowbudgt,How was your interview at U of VT?Did you like their program?I have to go there for an interview soon....What are your credentials..?US grad.

I've been to five, almost done interviewing. It's been going well but tiring. I agree with bringing a copy of your CV on the interviews, it really helps because a lot of times, ERAS is down and they can't even get to your file.

Hey Guys...Anybody there????????:confused: Mingxie,Thanks for replying.Does your program have rheum fellowship?Mine doesnot.Most of them have internal candidates...Suckss

Hi again Gouty. My program has a rheum fellowship with one spot and at least 4 other people in my program are applying this year.

Hi Eveyone, i am looking for last year's list of unfilled rheum spots. will appreciate it if any one can help me with it,plz PM me.

This forum has been awfully quiet. Any updates on interviews or other stuff from this year's Rheum applicants?

Hi,

I am starting medical school (VCOM) in August. I love rheumatology and I have some questions about getting in to a good fellowship.

• Are DOs reasonably competitive for fellowships?
  • Do any fellowships accept AOA boards instead of USMLE?
  • Are there any other residencies besides IM that can get in?
  • Do most people do their IM residency at the same spot as their rheumatology fellowship?
  • I have a decent amount of immunology and cancer research (M.S.) but not clinical research - is clinical research experience preferred and should I plan on doing an elective clinical research rotation?
  • Do either undergraduate grades or MCAT scores weigh on acceptance.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Are DOs reasonably competitive for fellowships? yes
  • Do any fellowships accept AOA boards instead of USMLE? yes
  • Are there any other residencies besides IM that can get in? no
  • Do most people do their IM residency at the same spot as their rheumatology fellowship? some fellowship programs take applicants from their home residency program because they already know them from working with them.
  • I have a decent amount of immunology and cancer research (M.S.) but not clinical research - is clinical research experience preferred and should I plan on doing an elective clinical research rotation? depends on the places you are looking at.
  • Do either undergraduate grades or MCAT scores weigh on acceptance? not at all

Hope that helps!

Anyone matched into Rheum this year? I didn't participate in this years match will do so next year.

Anyone applying to Rheum this 2010 match season? I'm a bit nervous and starting to look into programs where I could apply. Any tips for applying to Rheum? Thanks!

hello, I am applying for rheum this year.

Credentials: FMG, University residency program, good letters, 2 years of research in immunology, scores...very average-bad.

What are my chances? Thanks.

Hey forum,

I am a 3rd year resident applying to Rheumatology. I sent out my applications yesterday (Dec 1) for the 2012 match. I was just wondering two things:
-My crudentials arent so hot. I dont have the best board grades, I went to a community hospital in bklyn, ny. I am an american (no visa issues). I have done research, yet nothing published. I was wondering if you guys think I have a chance. I am a bit worried that I dont, as my preceptors seem to say "its competitive now" and my chances are slim. But I seem to think that with whats going on in the health care system, it just doesnt pay as much for people to go into fellowships, as subspecialties are not reimbursed that much more than primary care. I know cardio and GI will always be hard, but things like rheum/nephro/allergy/pulm-crit/etc would become easier. What do you guys think???
-what do they ask on fellowship interviews? Is it any different than residency interviews (tell me about yourself/ strengths/ weaknesses/ research/ why this program?) Is there anything else they might ask. Someone told me they asked them.. what do you hate about this fellowship.. lol that opens doors to a massacre if you answer it unlikingly.
advice guys!!! please!!!

-3rd year resident

hey Dr Brooklyn, I am on the same boat here so my advice is not so valuable I guess. Please forum seniors, some help.

But it seems that if you want to go anywhere to do rheumatology you will find a spot. If you are more selective (like me) it gets more competitive.

FREIDA statistics showed that >90% of applicants match in rheumatology, so it is not that competitive, again if you are willing to relocate anywhere in the country.

Oh well I just submitted my application and will see. I agree with you, rheum is not that difficult, since it pays the same, however it has a much better lifestyle than hospitalist.

But it seems that if you want to go anywhere to do rheumatology you will find a spot. If you are more selective (like me) it gets more competitive.

FREIDA statistics showed that >90% of applicants match in rheumatology, so it is not that competitive, again if you are willing to relocate anywhere in the country.

Wow, I didn't realize that almost everybody will get matched to Rheum. That's good news! I hope that's true. However, I got a different result from the NRMP website. It says that in the 2010 match, there were 179 positions offered in the match and there were 274 applicants total. Also, 10 programs were unfilled.

Anyway, I just submitted and paid my application. I pray for good results. God bless to all of us.

Hey guys! New to the posts. Good to know there are people applying to Rheum this year. Still kinda early in the process. I unfortunately didn't apply till kinda late and EFDO just uploaded my documents, and some LoR are still en route and pending upload. Is this a disadvantage? I haven't been rejected by any places yet...but only time will tell I guess. Anyway, looking back at some previous posts, I thought it was useful when applicants would post stats and invites/rejections. I'll start:
I applied to 20 programs,
AMG, Passed all USMLEs (assuming actual scores are not too impt), top 15 residency, research and pubs/posters in non-rheum stuff, rheum research in process since early this year, 2LoR from Rheum docs (one fairly well known)
I think I will match. Residents from my institution have matched pretty well historically. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks and please keep posting :)

Last edited:
One invite today :thumbup: Anyone else? I know you are out there!

Dr. Brooklyn and london12, don't be discouraged. I think most people that apply to Rheum will match, more likely if one has a regional geographic preference. My take on it...if I don't match this year then I'll do hospitalist for a year, try to get some more research under my belt...and go for it again. If it still doesn't work out, being a hospitalist isn't such a bad gig!

Guys (and gals) please post! Comeon, we gotta get more activity than the Endo folks (their post activity is pretty slow)!

Congratulations, rheumor! Still waiting and praying for invites to come. :)

Thanks jerold and london12. I know at the end of this month and the following month, we will all be sharing our invites! I'm glad you guys are posting....Any insight as to what to expect on these interviews, i.e. type of questions asked, # of interviews, lunch provided? :rolleyes:

In my opinion, we are all going into a fun and promising field, that importantly allows us to enjoy what we are learning (time to read and research). Plus we are the Sherlock Holmes' of Medicine. Represent!

Hi everyone, I am new to the post. I am a third year resident applying to Rheumatology fellowship this year.

Credentials: IMG but American citizen (no visa issues), community hospital residency, steps with average scores, working on a research but no publications yet. Interested in clinical rheumatology.

No interviews so far, but am hoping for one or two soon.
Good luck to everyone :xf:

Last edited:
Hi I am new kid on the block aspiring for rheum fellowship.
Applied recently and looking out for invites.
lets keep the ball rolling guys!

credentials:
FMG now an attending, good usmle 1& 2 scores, some research no publication yet.

WTR and Hydrocortisone, welcome!! I'm glad we have other good applicants going into Rheum this year! Good luck to all and let's all keep posting! :luck:

New to this site. Applied rheumatology all programs in ERAS. Currently Hospitalist. I will appreciate if someone give list for programs which do not accept ERAS applications . means which accept paper application good luck every one

New to this site. Applied rheumatology all programs in ERAS. Currently Hospitalist. I will appreciate if someone give list for programs which do not accept ERAS applications . means which accept paper application good luck every one

It seems to me that in this day and age, why would any program have paper applications? Is there an advantage to not accept fellowship applications via ERAS? Maybe they can charge the applicant more...

Does anyone know why some programs download everything and others don't? I still have like 8 places that have have not at all or incompletely downloaded my application. Maybe its the holidays...at least now my full application is uploaded :highfive:

Good luck to all and happy holidays! :banana:

london12, that's great! Congrats!! I didn't apply to Temple, but I had a friend who went there for medical school and loved it!

Happy Holidays to all!! Hope we get more interviews soon ;)

Got one at last! Yey!
Thank God! What a nice Christmas gift. :)

Great jerold! I got one today as well!
Let's hope they keep coming! Happy Holidays to all!

Great jerold! I got one today as well!
Let's hope they keep coming! Happy Holidays to all!

congrats to them who got calls. I have 1 interview. Now will wait for vacations. Marry Christmas and Happy New Year

I like london12's audacity and so maybe we should all post which programs we have heard from. This way if anyone has valuable info on any programs listed, it can be shared and used constructively. No need to reveal home program (may be too personal). Here it goes:

london12: Temple U
Rheumor: U of Chicago, UCSF, home program
rheumatology12:
jerold:
WTR:
Hydrocortisone:

Good luck to all! Please add on as the interview season proceeds!

Last edited:
Hi levallor! Congrats on interviews! Here is a different list format, listed by programs first. It may be easier this way to keep track of the programs inviting for interviews. Here it is:

MUSC: levallor
Temple U: london12
U of Chicago: llevallor, Rheumor
UCSF: Rheumor

Let's keep adding guys! Peace!

I am new to this forum and really finding it interesting.
I applied to 30+ programs did not hear from any .

Cleveland Clinic: Rheumor
UCSF: Rheumor

Keep on posting guys! :)

Cleveland Clinic: Rheumor, jerold
UCSF: Rheumo
Rush: jerold