"review" articles vs. actual research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anastacia23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

i am a 3rd yr med student who developed a late interest in radonc...i don't have the time, resources or frankly the inclination to do research but i was wondering if writing a review article on a topic pertinent to radonc and subsequent publication would carry some, if any, weight...thanks for any thoughts...

anastacia

Members don't see this ad.

Anastacia23 said:
hey guys

i am a 3rd yr med student who developed a late interest in radonc...i don't have the time, resources or frankly the inclination to do research but i was wondering if writing a review article on a topic pertinent to radonc and subsequent publication would carry some, if any, weight...thanks for any thoughts...

anastacia

i think any research shows that you are dedicated to the field. no one expects you to run a phase III study at this point in your career. take my advice with a grain of salt though, as i haven't match myself yet (can this process BE any slower, where is march 17th?!?!?! :eek: ). I myself decided on rad-onc pretty late, so i was late to do any outside rotations, i just signed up a for a research rot at my home school, and did a couple of research projects with the chair of our rad-onc dept, both are retrospective studies. i wrote them up, not published yet or anything, but all the interviews i go to, they always ask me about them. also, in response to your other post re programs without research emphasis, you can PM me, i might have some insight..

Yeah I definitely agree with Binka.... publications are like icing on the cake, but the fact that you've shown an interest and commitment to the field by doing research is most important. It will give you something to talk about with interviewers when you hit the trail and show that you are dedicated to rad onc.

imho - as I am a fourth year applicant this year - if you aren't interested in research, you might be unhappy at many rad onc residency programs. The field is highly academic and it seems like PD's want people who are genuinely interested in research and are not just doing it to pad their CV's in order to get into a field with no night call.