Retinal fluorescein angiography

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosted2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am a physiology grad student taking an eye physiology course.
I have been looking everywhere and I am unable to find the specific answer I am looking for in order to create my presentation.

Are optometrists allowed to perform retinal fluorescein angiography? I know it will differ from state to state, but in the states with an expanded scope of practice (Kentucky, Alaska, Oklahoma, Louisiana) is this allowed?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

To answer your question, yes. We are allowed to order fluorescein angiography, interpret it, and perform it (depending on scope- as you mentioned).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @DoctorOD ! My professor really encourages us to consider optometry as a career. Would you do it again? He cites expanding practice and more procedures as the future of optometry.

Thanks @DoctorOD ! My professor really encourages us to consider optometry as a career. Would you do it again? He cites expanding practice and more procedures as the future of optometry.

I would absolutely do it again. The profession is growing and continues to be elevated by bright, young minds from preeminent academic institutions. The field of medicine is no longer synonymous only to an MD education. ODs, DOs, DDS, DMDs, DPMs, PharmDs and clinical psychologists all have extensive medical knowledge and scope to allow them to intervene in the healthcare system.
I am a younger grad, but I am continuously shocked by how much the education has changed since the 70s and beyond. It will only get better- believe you me.