Retaking the MCAT + courseload + work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
also posted in re-applicant forum, hope thats okay...

I've spoken with a few deans who recommended taking more science courses or retaking the MCAT (I took it in 2005 and got 28Q; P8V10B10; sci gpa is around 3.4 and cumulative around 3.58).

I'm definitely retaking the MCAT this coming January (and taking Kaplan prep beginning in October), and I KNOW that I can definitely get at least a 30 this time around. Basically all of the schools say that if I retake the MCAT, I need to BE SURE that IT INCREASES significantly, so I'm definitely pressured to focus on this and do well on the test. Currently I am working part-time and volunteering a few hours a month at a shelter.

Here's my dilemma...
Should I take an upper level genetics course this Fall or is that too much? I feel as though it's added pressure (because I would need to ace this class) but that I need to take science courses to enhance my AMCAS. If I don't take this class, I will increase my volunteer hours, continue working part-time, and focus on the MCAT. But is that enough? I've heard of people working fulltime, studying for the MCAT, taking classes, raising kids, etc...

Another thing to mention, I plan to take science courses in Spring (if my schedule allows). (A)Would a higher MCAT cancel the need for this, (B) would one class next semester be good enough, because my PT job schedule won't allow me to take the daytime classes I want or (C) should I quit my part-time job and take more classes?

Sorry this is long and sounds like a rambling. Advice is appreciated!

Elephantastic, thanks for the reply. I needed to hear it from someone else because my judgement was temporarily clouded by my anxiety...but yeah, I'm going to focus on rocking this MCAT (aiming for a 36, why not?).

My part-time job is very hands-on clinical and I reeeally love doing it, which is why I am so apprehensive about quitting to focus on classes. It was a great job to have through the application process, and goodness knows I need a job to pay for those apps. I'm just so lost about how many classes I should be taking and how much bearing they will have on my overall application...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crossposting probably is not acceptable.

In response to your dilemma, I would put about 80% of your effort into MCAT this fall. Practice Tests, Practice tests, practice tests. Get them from the MCAT company itself. From the first few, review your weak science areas. For the last few, give yourself less time than the test itself gives you to finish the sections. INCLUDE Writing sample practice within the practice tests to build stamina, but don't put too much effort into the WS otherwise. And throughout, read lots of books, magazines, newspapers, every single day for like 2 hours. I realize that your VR is good, but this reading will help with the other sections too.

As for the volunteer work, don't increase it unless you're sure it will be really meaningful to you. Get clinical volunteering in if you don't have it yet. You should be touching sick people if you're not already.

After you've taken the MCAT in January and rocked it, focus on the science classes. I don't know how far along you are or if you've graduated college, but consider a postbacc or a special masters program (SMP). If you think this is overkill (since your gpa's OK as is), you should probably quit the part time job for the spring and take a full load of difficult science. Then you'll be good and ready to apply for 2010 admission.

Most important--DON'T RUSH IT. If you really want to be a doc, you'll realize that a few extra years of preparation is nothing compared to a satisfying decades-long career. And don't forget to enjoy life while you prepare.

I am in the same boat with an OK (29Q) but not stellar MCAT.

The one most solid piece of advice I have heard is that if you do not hit 34 or so on 3 real practice MCATs in a row about a month before you retake, do not sit.

We face the real possibility of doing worse as well.