DIY Courseload and Cancer treatment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runandlmh

Reaction score
Happy 2023 everyone!

Last year, I started my post-bacc journey (DIY GPA repair) right after the military. 2 months in, I was hit with cancer and have been undergoing treatment since February 2022. Spring 2022: I completed 2 upper-div science courses (6 units), receiving As with difficulty because of the cancer. My treatment may be complete in 2 months and now is the time to start again. However, I am still dealing with treatment into February and have part-time overseas military duties to complete (future professors are OK with me making up classes).

I wanted to respectfully request any opinion/advice on how many upper-div courses I should be taking this spring semester to be competitive for a Spring 2024 application. I want to take 3 (9 units), but as mentioned, I am still completing treatment and working my military commitment. I made the mistake of taking on too much during under-grad and see the same thing happening now. How is taking only 2 classes (twice in a row because of Spring 2022) looked upon for GPA repair? I can’t imagine good.

My undergrad and pre-reqs are from 2015, and my GPA is 2.8uGPA, 3.1sGPA – Much work to do. (Taking classes beyond the recommended 30 unit post-bacc advisable?)

Someone suggested that since my pre-reqs are from 2015, I should re-do them. That’s a first I have read up on this and wanted some opinions here as well.

Any input is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
First off thank you for your service to country and I appreciate you. I can’t imagine how any school would look badly on you for taking 2 classes while also dealing with military commitment while also dealing with cancer, and you’ll have plenty of opportunity to explain that in your application.

As far as redoing prereqs go, there doesn’t seem to be much value unless you failed them. One of my prereqs when I applied to the 2021 cycle was from 2010 and nobody I applied to seemed to have any issues with it. This can be school specific though so I would reach out to the school admission staff that you are looking to apply to and talk to them directly.

I would wait for the advice of other military med experts on here about what schools to target and if you need more than 30 post bac hours, but please be mindful of your body and health, as you said this is a long journey and trying to rush it while recovering from cancer can make it even longer plus worse consequences.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
First off thank you for your service to country and I appreciate you. I can’t imagine how any school would look badly on you for taking 2 classes while also dealing with military commitment while also dealing with cancer, and you’ll have plenty of opportunity to explain that in your application.

As far as redoing prereqs go, there doesn’t seem to be much value unless you failed them. One of my prereqs when I applied to the 2021 cycle was from 2010 and nobody I applied to seemed to have any issues with it. This can be school specific though so I would reach out to the school admission staff that you are looking to apply to and talk to them directly.

I would wait for the advice of other military med experts on here about what schools to target and if you need more than 30 post bac hours, but please be mindful of your body and health, as you said this is a long journey and trying to rush it while recovering from cancer can make it even longer plus worse consequences.

Hello, I have decided to enroll in 2 classes this semester after some thought and reading through your response. Thank you for your time and kind words- much needed during this time! My condition does make me anxious to continue on the path, but also understand I must slow down and appreciate the present.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users