Retaking OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shicani9795

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took my OAT and I did poorly. My AA was a 290. Obviously I plan on retaking it as soon as possible. My question is, should I submit my application indicating that I plan to retake it? Or should I wait until I retake it to submit. I ask since because of the 90 day waiting period it would November until I could retake it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Submit your application if it's ready. It's possible to get interviews without your oat score. You may even get conditional acceptances if your application is strong enough.

Submit your application if it's ready. It's possible to get interviews without your oat score. You may even get conditional acceptances if your application is strong enough.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
APPLY!!! Don't retake just yet and see what happens. I was accepted to 4/6 of the schools I applied to with the same score, it's not all about scores and grades. Focus on your passion for optometry and make sure that shows in your application.

Reactions: 1 user
So I just took my OAT and I did poorly. My AA was a 290. Obviously I plan on retaking it as soon as possible. My question is, should I submit my application indicating that I plan to retake it? Or should I wait until I retake it to submit. I ask since because of the 90 day waiting period it would November until I could retake it.

Thanks!

What did you use to prepare for the oat & how did they compare to the actual exam ?

APPLY!!! Don't retake just yet and see what happens. I was accepted to 4/6 of the schools I applied to with the same score, it's not all about scores and grades. Focus on your passion for optometry and make sure that shows in your application.
Hi there! Congrats on your acceptances! I am wondering what school is it that you chose? I am in a similar circumstance as you were- I have a 300 AA on my OAT and am applying to 6 schools as well. I am also wondering how quickly you submitted your optomcas application? It opened this June 28, and I plan to have it done by middle to end august- I am just hoping that this isn't too late. Thank you for your help!

Hi there! Congrats on your acceptances! I am wondering what school is it that you chose? I am in a similar circumstance as you were- I have a 300 AA on my OAT and am applying to 6 schools as well. I am also wondering how quickly you submitted your optomcas application? It opened this June 28, and I plan to have it done by middle to end august- I am just hoping that this isn't too late. Thank you for your help!
I decided on southern college of Optometry! I'm from New England so I actually was originally leaning towards NECO and PCO but the cost of SCO really drew me in. I submitted my application in the beginning of August 2016. I heard back in September from most of the schools. You are absolutely FINE submitting middle-end August. Don't stress, you'll be fine!!

Reactions: 1 users
I decided on southern college of Optometry! I'm from New England so I actually was originally leaning towards NECO and PCO but the cost of SCO really drew me in. I submitted my application in the beginning of August 2016. I heard back in September from most of the schools. You are absolutely FINE submitting middle-end August. Don't stress, you'll be fine!!
Thank you so much! I really appreciate all your help! Congrats!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
what schools did you apply to?