Retakes to clear "F's"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Travisgee

Coast to Coast
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before moving on to my undergrad university, i had attended a CC and recieved an F in Biology. I remember thinking at the time about how difficult the class was, so I approached the advisor about this. She replied, "Oh dear, thats a science majors course not a course for fine arts majors." I had no choice then, and I decided to retake to clear the F at that time, and I did! I recieved a B in the course after doing copious amounts of study to catch up just with the other students background knowledge.
Now the F and the B factor in together for the overall uGPA correct?
A second question, i have another F floating around on that transcript, which is now 7 to 8 years old, should i retake to clear that F?
Is this beneficial? Or, should I just continue with the post bac work, and let that process raise my overall uGPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Before moving on to my undergrad university, i had attended a CC and recieved an F in Biology. I remember thinking at the time about how difficult the class was, so I approached the advisor about this. She replied, "Oh dear, thats a science majors course not a course for fine arts majors." I had no choice then, and I decided to retake to clear the F at that time, and I did! I recieved a B in the course after doing copious amounts of study to catch up just with the other students background knowledge.
A second question, i have another F floating around on that transcript, which is now 7 to 8 years old, should i retake to clear that F?
Is this beneficial? Or, should I just continue with the post bac work, and let that process raise my overall uGPA?

Hi Travis,

It depends on where you apply, but an allopathic school may average the two grades. An osteopathic school will replace that grade so while they will still see that you received the F since you need to report every grade, they will not count it against you. Regarding the other F, it depends on what it is in. If it is a minor class (i.e. not science or math), I wouldn't worry.

What is your uGPA?

Kris

I think retakes only overwrite grades when you apply to DO schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I think retakes only overwrite grades when you apply to DO schools

right, a DO school is an osteopathic school. That is what I wrote.

My gpa is a 2.957

If your cumulative GPA is 2.96 with the F, retaking that class will definitely raise it over 3.0. Be sure to do the very best that you can and you definitely have a shot.

Advisors I have talked to have one of two answers:

1. Don't ever retake a course, use the time/units to take a more advanced upper division course, and show you can succeed; or
2. Retake the course only if it is a requirement, and you feel like you don't know the material that you will need for the MCAT or for upper division courses.

I would not retake if it was a nonscience. No matter how you want to say it, AMCAS sees all grades and calculates them all into your GPA, whether you retake or not.

The class was algebra 1314 which i took some 7-8 years ago. I assume the time frame does not effect averaging gpa numbers.
Your post about the advisors sentiments are verbtim what they told me.

You need to be comfortable with algebra for calculus, statistics, physics, and chemistry, so if you're not, you should take the algebra/calculus series wherever you're doing your postbacc courses. And, make sure you are ready to get A's; you can't afford B's or less now.

Both the F and B count.

If the other F is a pre-req for something you need, or a req for med school, you'll need to retake.