retake the courses or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCBlues

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all again,

Optometry schools require a C or better on all the pre-reqs; however, I got a grade lower than a C on two of my science courses. For those of you who have gone thru the admission process, do you suggest that I should retake these courses or should I not? I want to take these courses again, but I don't think I have time to retake them. Please give me your advice on what I should do. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

grades lower than C don't count for most schools. I suggest retaking them... make time.

I would make time because it shows the adcom commitment to optometry school and your ability to work hard. Also, earning a higher grade on the second time is further proof of your ability if there were personal issues etc. that resulted in the lower grade.
just my thoughts

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yesh, you definitely need to take those classes over. They really don't like to see those "D"s or "F"s, in organic chemistry for example:cool:

Optometry school is easy to get into, you'll be fine.

JSNYMD: Why would you even bother posting such a vicious comment? There is no need for it.

If your overall GPA is still above a 3.00 and the classes are not of those required, you may be able to get away with it. But if your GPA is lower than that, your must retake them.

But, you will need a good OAT regardless.

Personally I would retake them just to prove to myself I could do it.

Originally posted by JSNYMD
Optometry school is easy to get into, you'll be fine.

Medical school is hard to get out, you'll be struggling.

Why are you attacking JSNYMD?
He made a statement. One that happens to be true nowadays.
You all think too highly of yourselves and the Optometry admission process.
Are there thousands among thousands of applicants competing for limited seats in Optometry School? I don't think so.
Seriously, you all need to wake up.

You'd have a hard time gaining admission in Optometry school......or any graduate level school with D's and F's.

Enrollment is in a cyclical downward trend right now. It will continue to rise and fall just as all professional schools do. But no one with those grades is going to get into any Optometry school.

Originally posted by TomOD
You'd have a hard time gaining admission in Optometry school......or any graduate level school with D's and F's.

Enrollment is in a cyclical downward trend right now. It will continue to rise and fall just as all professional schools do. But no one with those grades is going to get into any Optometry school.

Tom is right. And like I said a few posts ago, most schools won't accept a grade lower than C for ANY pre-req. So you have to take them over.

yes, it's easier right now than it used to be to get admission to OD school. BUT, you still have to be QUALIFIED.

" But you still have to be QUALIFIED" Oh yea- qualified alright - $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Just wait until you graduate you are still in lala land.
Keep dreaming!
It's a profession w/ not much future.

Reality Check

Granted, everyone is more than welcome to have their own opinion. But simply because you are not satisified with optometry does not mean you have to reply extremely negatively to everything.

Many of RC's posts remind me of this despair.com parody:

mistakes.jpg

I'm not making fun of you, RC, it's just that by being so negative about optometry, you're also being negative about yourself and your choices. Believe me, I can relate -- I was in a career that I had stopped enjoying, and I can agree that there's nothing worse than getting up every morning to go do something you don't like anymore.

Still, I thought this poster pretty much summed it all up.

Thank you r-salis for being my spokesperson and representing me.
I hope your enthusiasm, love and passion for the profession you are about to practice remains with you your entire lifespan.
It hasn't for me.
BEST REGARDS,

RC.