Retake or not retake, that is the question

clutzie16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am kind of happy that i got the OAT over with today, but i cant say i am exactly thrilled with the scores.

Here they are

QR- 300
Bio- 320
GC-340
RC- 330
Orgo- 290 :thumbdown:
Phys- 270:eek: :scared:

TS 300
AA 310

I know that the physics and the organic chemistry scores are terrible. I have only taken organic chemistry I so far, and just finishing physics II now. I dont feel that these scores are going to be good enough for me to get into school. I have a lot of experience, and a decent GPA, but then again so does everyone else with better scores. I am just so mad that the physics brought my TS and AA down so much. I have scheduled to retake the OAT 90 days from today and was wondering if you guys think thats too late, it falls on Feb 28, meeting the deadline of my 3 top choice schools. Or do you think that will be way too late in the game? You guys have been very helpful thus far so i was wondering if you think i should call the schools individually and ask them what they feel i should do? and also if you retake the exam do they take the highest individual sections from each and count those or do they take each individual exam as its own?

thank you for your help again, and good luck to all that have and are going to be applying :luck:

p.s. if anyone has any specific questions about the OAT in the sections i actually did alright in PM me. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would vote for a retake... Assuming you have already sent all your application materials, send the schools you applied to an email informing them you plan on retaking the OAT. This way, the schools may consider your application and not give your OAT scores too much weight. Your scores are not horrible. But most likely, not good enough (only in my honest opinion). Hopefully you do better.

Don't worry I am in the same boat. I have similar weak scores and have to take the OAT again.

OAT Academic Average: 320
Reading Comprehension: 280
General Chemistry: 340
Quantitative: 330
Physics: 330
Biology: 290
Organic Chemistry: 320

They suggested I retake. So I will. GOOD LUCK.

-ONE MORE SUGGESTION--Think positive and BELIEVE you will do better.

I would vote for a retake... Assuming you have already sent all your application materials, send the schools you applied to an email informing them you plan on retaking the OAT. This way, the schools may consider your application and not give your OAT scores too much weight. Your scores are not horrible. But most likely, not good enough (only in my honest opinion). Hopefully you do better.

Don't worry I am in the same boat. I have similar weak scores and have to take the OAT again.

OAT Academic Average: 320
Reading Comprehension: 280
General Chemistry: 340
Quantitative: 330
Physics: 330
Biology: 290
Organic Chemistry: 320

They suggested I retake. So I will. GOOD LUCK.

-ONE MORE SUGGESTION--Think positive and BELIEVE you will do better.

Why do you have to retake? Your AA and TS are 320 right? In my opinion, your scores are good enough. They would suffice for most schools except Berkeley. Have you gotten any interviews yet? What is your GPA if you don't mind sharing?

Why do you have to retake? Your AA and TS are 320 right? In my opinion, your scores are good enough. They would suffice for most schools except Berekeley.

I don't agree. The score of 320 is borderline. It's like juggling with chainsaws. If I were you, I'd rather not take the risk. You should retake.

320 is only suffice if you have very high GPA and a flawless personality. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
You also need to remember that your reading comprehension is below 300. Schools have been sticklers on that from what i've heard lately. My vote is for a retake too.

My GPA is only 3.3. I have had two interviews; one with PCO and one with ICO. I only applied to SCCO, Berkeley, PCO and ICO.

SCCO and PCO want a retake, even though I already interviewed with PCO and did well.

I imagine the second time I willl do better on the OAT anyways.

You also need to remember that your reading comprehension is below 300. Schools have been sticklers on that from what i've heard lately. My vote is for a retake too.

I agree. Insomnia, you're going to have to get the RC score up, and WAY up. It's the #1 thing they look at at IU (not that you applied there, but I figure other schools are probably similar). They need to know that you can read and comprehend the large amount of material you'll be faced with in optometry school. My suggestion is go straight to the questions and then go back and look for the answer. I know that probably doesn't work for everyone, but it got me a great RC score when I took it.

My suggestion is go straight to the questions and then go back and look for the answer. I know that probably doesn't work for everyone, but it got me a great RC score when I took it.

I tried this strategy on practice tests, and I believe that it was better than reading all the material and then answering the questions. However, what I ended up doing when I took the RC section was skimming the article for the key words at beginning and ends of paragraphs, going to questions and searching for answers. I found that it shortened my search time if I at least remembered where a few key words were in the article. With this strategy RC turned out to be my highest subscore!