retake oat & then apply or vice versa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opt123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently debating when I should retake my OAT. I'm planning on applying to opt school this summer. Is it better to submit the application form first in the summer and later update the schools with a newer score later that fall OR should i take the test first and apply afterwards?!?

Basically, here's my situation in a nutshell. I did fairly well on all sections (SA=380; AA=360)except the reading comprehension (RC=280). I emailed a couple of the schools to see whether there is a set score they look for in each section to be considered "competitive." Ex. SCCO extremely stressed on the fact that the reading comprehension score SHOULD be at least a 300 =(

Does anyone know if other schools are like SCCO, with a min score preference?

Would my application still be reviewed even though I indicate I am planning to retake the OAT?

Sorry for the lengthy msg. But i appreciate all the help i can get. THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm currently debating when I should retake my OAT. I'm planning on applying to opt school this summer. Is it better to submit the application form first in the summer and later update the schools with a newer score later that fall OR should i take the test first and apply afterwards?!?

Basically, here's my situation in a nutshell. I did fairly well on all sections (SA=380; AA=360)except the reading comprehension (RC=280). I emailed a couple of the schools to see whether there is a set score they look for in each section to be considered "competitive." Ex. SCCO extremely stressed on the fact that the reading comprehension score SHOULD be at least a 300 =(

Does anyone know if other schools are like SCCO, with a min score preference?

Would my application still be reviewed even though I indicate I am planning to retake the OAT?

Sorry for the lengthy msg. But i appreciate all the help i can get. THANKS!

It really depends on the schools you are applying to:

I had a friend who got an interview invite to ICO a few years ago before taking his OAT but his pre req GPA was a 3.9+. He did well on his interview and only had to score a certain score to get a final acceptance.

I know SCCO won't invite you for an interview until they receive all your application materials, OAT included. You have to meet their specific academic criteria based on GPA and OAT score to move forward in the application process (be invited for an interview). Before I applied this year, I had a meeting with Dr. Munroe to discuss all my application materials. My TS and AA were not nearly as great as yours but I did score a 380 on RC. When she was looking over my scores she specifically took note of my RC score to ensure that it was above a 300. So if SCCO is one of your top schools, def take the re take the OAT ASAP so that you can apply the very first day applications are being accepted! I interviewed very late this year and their class was already full so it was nervewrecking when I was awaiting their decision. Luckily I was accepted but I would have rather interviewed early to save stress and anxiety!

I can't speak for other schools bc I only applied to SCCO but call their offices and see whattheir policies are.

Look on the brightside... since you did so well on the OAT, you only have to review the material and just focus on scoring better on the RC section. Read the questions first and then skim the passages after.. it worked wonders for me.

You're good to go at all schools except SCCO. My scores were strong except RC (280), I had tons of experience, leadership, etc, but they said that that one score had to be above 300. Basically, they were willing to discount literally thousands of hours and many years of hard work because of 20 points on the RC section worth about 50min of work one day. I got interviews at many other schools, offered scholerships, and more because other schools actually have half a brain. Many distinguished candidates I know have run into this problem with them. My advice: Tell them to shove it and spend your hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition and equipment elsewhere. SCCO doesn't deserve it. They can keep the applicants who averaged and volunteered much less than me and others because of their oh so important 300 in RC. [end rant]

I noticed that SCCO really has some sort of strict academic criteria set in stone in their candidate selection process. I can relate to this post bc I didn't apply last year because they told me I wouldn't get an interview until my GPA made a 3.0 (it was literally a 2.98). You can imagine how bummed I was! Now this is despite my letters of rec, extra curriculars, research, etc. I took more classes and eventually got my GPA up to apply and get accepted this year but I feel you.

They adhere strictly to their academic criteria policies and are not flexible in making exceptions for students that excel in other areas. I know other schools take into account ALL aspects of the application and allow strengths in some areas to compensate for weaknesses in other areas. I don't want to leave Southen Cali for any reason at all so this is why I just waited a year before applying. But yes, it's all kind of a downer.

Sorry to you... Fonziefonz, for your experience with SCCO, but hey.. you're in another great program and I'm sure you're enjoying it!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for replying to my question..it were truly helpful

fonziefonz: since you had a similar RC as me, what other schools did you applied that were okay with the RC below 300

that's why someone made a post about how SCCO students are all bookworms and can't interact well with their patients haha. jk

SCCO used to be flexible in their selection criteria where applicants are evaluated on their overall achievement. That was when **** ***** was the admissions officer. Now you have Dr. ******, who've established strict, or in her own words, "set in stone" minimums regardless of anything else you did to show that you are a worthy applicant. There should, of course, be a minimum standard for applicants, but like someone above noted, scco shouldn't refuse to give the slightest chance to a applicant because he/she is shy of 20 points on one section of the OATs but got 380 overall, or a 2.98 with excellent scores and a load of leadership and intern experience.

to the op, your scores are great and it'll get you into the majority of the schools that you apply to, assuming you don't have a horrible GPA or personality. don't waste your time studying for the OATs again, there are plenty of outstanding schools out there. g'luck!

hahah im sorry you all feel that way... i do not know the actual reason that scco does this but in my speculation... reading comprehension is a lot about being able to speak and read the english language

since scco is in so cal there are a LOT of asian candidates... a lot of which, im sorry to say, are very very smart and get great sciencegpas but cannot speak/write english to save their lives!!! this is a profession in which you need to be able to communicate and the basic ability to put proper sentences together is kinda important!!!!

hahah im sorry you all feel that way... i do not know the actual reason that scco does this but in my speculation... reading comprehension is a lot about being able to speak and read the english language

Reading comprehension is about how well you can understand the passages presented. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can speak and read English but do poorly on this section.

since scco is in so cal there are a LOT of asian candidates... a lot of which, im sorry to say, are very very smart and get great sciencegpas but cannot speak/write english to save their lives!!! this is a profession in which you need to be able to communicate and the basic ability to put proper sentences together is kinda important!!!!

That's a ridiculous statement. Asians make up the vast majority of minorities in optometry school

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Of the optometry students who graduated in Academic Year 2005-2006 (1,242 receiving regular O.D. and special program degrees), 59.7% were female and 40.3% were male. In addition, 64.7% were White American, 22.9% were Asian, 0.5% Pacific Islander or Native Hawaiian, 4.3% were Hispanic or Latino, 3.6% were African American, 0.5% were American Indian or Alaskan Native and 3.5% were Other..

I'm sure that these individuals who have attended college and have graduated from optometry school can put proper sentences together.